Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Step front Alfa Guilia

Chris, the alfaholic build is insane... great video with mr Harris showing the Alfa's potential. Yes.. the dreaded rust is the big killer for these cars and the cost of body work repair is eye watering. I am in the same position, happy to tinker with mechanics but no skills or idea about bodywork.

Look forward to hear/see more of your Alfa project. Would be great to see her in person. Planning any drives out this spring/summer?

Yas.SYC4S said:
Chris, the alfaholic build is insane... great video with mr Harris showing the Alfa's potential. Yes.. the dreaded rust is the big killer for these cars and the cost of body work repair is eye watering. I am in the same position, happy to tinker with mechanics but no skills or idea about bodywork.

Look forward to hear/see more of your Alfa project. Would be great to see her in person. Planning any drives out this spring/summer?

Yes hoping to get to a few events and shows. Carbs need sorting and a rolling road check first plus I saw a few bits needing attention underneath for touching up first.
170 quid Insurance and no road tax is kinda nice too!

Update

For anyone interested and not upset by Alfa breakdowns lol.
Shortly after doing my first couple of longer runs the engine made a harsh noise and went onto 3 cylinders. Turns out a valve or valve stem seal failed, and mashed one of the pistons and alloy head up. Big time!

So the engine was removed and stripped and I'm currently having a slightly tweaked 2 litre fast road build done. The classic dealer I bought it from has been great and has agreed to cover costs of a standard rebuild leaving me to put a bit more in and get a better outcome to the sad story.
Fingers crossed I might be back in the road this year!

Rebuild with higher compression pistons and higher lift cams inc Labour to fit is about £6k so it's a decent hit but cheaper than a 911 perhaps :)
While it's in bits I've stripped the underside to bare metal nearly and rustproofed, put new brakes in, relocated brake lines, had the gearbox oil leaks fixed with a total strip (£322) , overhauled the carbs, rewired headlights, replaced a worn door hinge and a dozen other minor jobs.

I missed the alfaholics track day because of this but luckily blagged a track ride with Andrew Banks in one of their famous cars that Chris Harris raves about, which gave me a push to not give in :)
Onwards and upwards!

Yes I finally have a new engine but as we speak it's on a pallet somewhere in Chesterfield !
Engine build all in came out around £5k plus fitting next week, I'm getting a bit hands on to help. While it was being built I had the carbs overhauled and cerma coated the exhaust manifold so it should look great. Once it's in and run in I'll post some pics altho I have little time before winter now to break it in.
A few trials and tribulations along the way, one of the con rods was balanced and different to the rest on assembly it nipped up tight so the engine had to come apart again and new set of oe rods was sourced then re-balanced etc. The engine that was used as a core block was from a later fuel injected Alfa and the front timing covers and drive for the water pump/tacho is wrong so I had to salvage my old cover from a skip which luckily hadn't been emptied lol then get it cleaned up and sent off.

Home stretch now hopefully!

Well after a week of hard work refitting the engine at my friends garage we have a working car at last.
Just come in from dropping the oil n filter after it's first 400m done at night this week.
Touch wood I'm very pleased with my efforts. It's driving very well albeit reduced revs while breaking it in.

Attachments

• 20181018_162704_2656x1494_358.jpg
    20181018_162704_2656x1494_358.jpg
    967.2 KB · Views: 5,751
  • 20181018_170852_2656x1494_166.jpg
    20181018_170852_2656x1494_166.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 5,751
  • 20181016_181333_1200x900_879.jpg
    20181016_181333_1200x900_879.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 5,751
Such a beautiful car :worship:

Nice car but I always feel very nervous about driving a car that's had its bumpers removed. Always looks very vulnerable.

A thing of beauty sir :worship:

timm996 said:
Nice car but I always feel very nervous about driving a car that's had its bumpers removed. Always looks very vulnerable.

Tbh they are just thin steel bumpers anyway which would easily fold up along with the front or rear valance unfortunately in a bump.
It's insured at the end of the day for agreed value, would be gutted however given the amount of work I've put in !

Still lots of jobs to do, to get it exactly as I want but it's a rolling project.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back