Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Any suggestions for a radio upgrade 996.2

maldren

Albert Park
Any suggestions to replace my old PCM system.

Ideally I would like:
FM radio
DAB (for the test match coverage and BBC world service)
Modern Satnav
USB interface
Bluetooth
CD (but not essential)
Integration with the Porsche PCM data if possible
Reversing camera option
Reasonable price and DIY installation, double DIN looks favourite.

I don't understand how the MOST interface works and how much this helps/hinders! Alex's solution looks really great but isn't MOST.

No after-market replacement head-unit will be MOST compatible. It's a Porsche thing. You would need something that converts the signals.

You could keep your OEM headunit and use a Denison 500 to add some of the functionality, but I personally don't think they are cost effective.

Do you have MOST? Do you have Bose? And how do you mean, integration with PCM?

Halcyon,
thanks for the reply. I din't realise that MOST is (was?) Porsche specific. Maybe I just need to ditch the old Porsche amp as well, what else is linked by fibre?

As to the PCM data, I'm just looking at the basic computer data, mileage logs, journey data, fuel economy etc. That, at least, is identical to my old Alfa 166 so it's probably and industry standard data format from the car's computer.

MOST (Media Oriented Systems Transport) is a high-speed multimedia network technology optimized by the automotive industry. It can be used for applications inside or outside the car. The serial MOST bus uses a daisy-chain topology or ring topology and synchronous data communication to transport audio, video, voice and data signals via plastic optical fiber (POF) (MOST25, MOST150) or electrical conductor (MOST50, MOST150) physical layers.

MOST technology is used in almost every car brand worldwide, including Audi, BMW, General Motors, Hyundai, Jaguar, Lancia, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Toyota, Volkswagen, SAAB, SKODA, SEAT and Volvo. SMSC and MOST are registered trademarks of Standard Microsystems Corporation ('SMSC"), now owned by Microchip Technology.

So it's not specifically Porsche, but it is OEM in that the transport is standard, the information (data, packets, formatting etc) I think is different between manufactures, and even between models.

I've never heard of anyone getting info from the fuel computer to a head unit though! Maybe a bluetooth OBD reader set up to an android or apple-play unit?! The 996 doesn't have a CAN system that "broadcasts" that kind of data, as far as i know.

Are you sure your car even has MOST?

Besides the navigation, and a few other bits that you mention, the Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB would cover most of your needs - DAB, USB, bluetooth, CD, Mp3 etc etc....

Actually I don't know for sure about MOST because I haven't taken the radio out to look but my Porsche brochure dated 07/03 (model year 2004) says the cars have MOST, my car is 08/2003 so probably 2003 model year, not sure whether MOST was standard with 996.2 or came in later.

sports mufflers?

or shove a mezger in there. I never have the radio on in mine ;-)

Morning if you have bose the car will use fibre cables to allow the componants to comunicate if you then add in an aftermarket head unit this need to be able to comunicate with the rest of the componants so you need to add a MOST optical interface. this effectively acts as a translator between the head unit and the rest of the components . thats the simplefied for me explanation :floor:
there are a few different most optical interfaces on the market but the one I chose was from navtv and it did what it said on the tin.

https://www.carcommunications.co.uk/navtv-most-bose-amp-stereo-wiring-harness-adaptor-for-porsche

hope that helps cant help with head unit suggestion as there are hundreds to choose from for all budgets but there are some good reviews in the 997 and 996 sections for some well priced units

Wow Phil, that's seriously expensive. I don't have Bose but Porsche do say I have MOST, I'll have to have a look when it gets a bit warmer.

Whoever did mine just junked the MOST connection and the factory amp.

But this will give no PCM functionality...if that is essential the only option is to fit a bluetooth/DAB adaptor.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back