Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ferrari DEIS mileage reset.

It does make you think........I know that the average mileage of a Porsche tends to be lower....but I have always thought there has been an excessive amount of "low milers" around the forecourts :dont know:

I've noticed though, it always seems to be the US who discovers the Euro cheats.

:cop:

Palladium said:
why is it necessary to state that its a daily mail report?

if you look online, many outlets are calling it.

It is always important to state the source of the 1st report is we are publishing it, in this instance the Daily Mail reported it after having to dig out it's original UK source, it's not like you are going to see this in any of the car magazines

for once the story is based on court papers so has credibility but true to form the Daily Mail did manage to slip this in

The multi-millionaire, who once made news when he allegedly reneged on the promise to hire a woman at Sara Lee because she wouldn't have sex with him, saw the value of his $3 million-LaFerrari instantly increase by $1 million, Root's lawsuit claims.

Phil 997 said:
I wonder if Porsche would allow clocking up the mileage to show as higher ,so all the garage queens might look like they actually get used how they were built to be :floor: :floor: :floor:

:hand: My chum's late father used a Meccano set and electric motor to wind the mileage on his works Simca van over the weekend so he could 'borrow' some petrol from it (and then sell it for £1/gallon). The company never understood why he couldn't get more than 8mpg from a 1.3 engine :what:

Zingari said:
Phil 997 said:
I wonder if Porsche would allow clocking up the mileage to show as higher ,so all the garage queens might look like they actually get used how they were built to be :floor: :floor: :floor:

:hand: My chum's late father used a Meccano set and electric motor to wind the mileage on his works Simca van over the weekend so he could 'borrow' some petrol from it (and then sell it for £1/gallon). The company never understood why he couldn't get more than 8mpg from a 1.3 engine :what:

:floor: :floor: I like that :grin: :thumb:

i had a fiat brava from new many years ago, it was well used and battered by vandals, the final straw was the clutch went, so i decided to get rid of it.

one of these car men came and gave me £70, mileage was about 130k

it appeared one month later on a nearby garage forecourt, i dropped in and pretended i was interested,

mileage was 68k price £1600

its the done thing in the motor trade, not 100 percent of people, but high percentages do it.

Palladium said:
.......... one of these car men came and gave me £70, mileage was about 130k

it appeared one month later on a nearby garage forecourt, i dropped in and pretended i was interested, mileage was 68k price £1600

I'm assuming you meant they gave you £700 :?:

no £70, it needed a new back door skin, and a new clutch to sell it,

it would probably have cost me £600 to do this and i may have got a grand as i don't turn clocks back,

i thought the hassle of selling it to get a grand for it, and paying out £600 for it, wasn't worth it.

they had other ideas and made a fraudulent little packet out of it.

Attachments

• 2018_03_01_18_16_30_194.jpg
    2018_03_01_18_16_30_194.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 4,814
911UK said:
Well back on topic

that Fezza world is very murky, as long as there is money in it, they will be sold

Nice F40 that had a £350k restoration. ish
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24120/lot/264/
a small engine fire...

Indeed, though there is also a caveat in that some of the high end restorers generally rebuild classics to an appreciably better standard than the factory did when they were new. In such cases the argument can swing both ways for originality versus a better (even to completely original spec) car. It is only a problem where things are misrepresented, which is essentially the same as clocking.

The greater issue with these isn't so much things like the fire damaged car IMHO, but rather the concept of the "homeopathic classic" (where they save the paperwork, chassis rail with the VIN stamped on it and the engine block, remanufacture literally the entire car and then sell as a restored matching numbers example).

conmen

Never ever doubt what people will do to earn an extra pound or two! We had friends from London visiting(Acountant) and he was telling me of a sandwich shop which was part of a national chain. The inputs obviously had to correlate with the takings but the clever workers started buying their own ingredients to sell over the counter so they could have their earner with less chance of getting caught!
My trade is agricultural and it was well known that a grain buyer who shipped grain abroad used to load sand into the grain lorries as you were allowed 2% impurities so he bought sand for £4 a ton and sold it as grain at £100 a ton. 2% of a 20'000 shipment came to a nice little earner!

Palladium said:
i had a fiat brava from new many years ago, it was well used and battered by vandals, the final straw was the clutch went, so i decided to get rid of it.

one of these car men came and gave me £70, mileage was about 130k

it appeared one month later on a nearby garage forecourt, i dropped in and pretended i was interested,

mileage was 68k price £1600

its the done thing in the motor trade, not 100 percent of people, but high percentages do it.

Last year we had a mileage inquiry from the DVLA about an Insignia my wife once owned. :cop:

Rhodris-dad said:
It does make you think........I know that the average mileage of a Porsche tends to be lower....but I have always thought there has been an excessive amount of "low milers" around the forecourts :dont know:

I've noticed though, it always seems to be the US who discovers the Euro cheats.

:cop:

Erm........just to de-bunk my theory..........there are a couple of 991s at Chester that ARE high milers (both under £60k) :roll:

So back to the original LaFerrari story, does that mean the new owner of that car is owed $1m by the dealer to reflect the true mileage? Ouch...

the problem isn't just Ferrari, they claim it's only for low mileage cars but who knows if they're lying

In the UK to avoid the MOT mileage logs all those high value low mileage supercars stay low mileage after racking up many months of mileage or on the Gumball rally world et al when they go for their deep clean detail and emerge after a week looking like new and with delivery mileage again, there are the odd disreputable rally owners and car detailer out there making a bit of money on the side and the owners are even worse :gunfire:

Seen a few ferrari's on a few of these rallies with unplugged speedos or turn up year after year with fewer miles on the clock

:lock:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back