Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DSC Sport Plug and Play PASM upgrade

Ken,

Can you give more details on the stuff you have going on for the GT4 particularly the TPC module and gear ratio changes .

MJA911 said:
Comfier and softer aren't the first things that come to mind to me either, but I would say it is less brittle feeling. I'm no expert but from the way both cars I've had this in have behaved, I put it down to the software and silicon in the DSC module being much newer than the original so it reacts more quickly, with more range, to the cornering, braking, accelerating forces the car is under to stiffen or soften the dampers.

I think of it of as having an increased dynamic range (like how a camera with a wider dynamic range can take good pictures in a wider range of light) and I really like the idea of retaining the expensive hardware and upgrading it with software.

Yes I agree with you guys comfier isnt the right way to describe it , almost intuitive is a better way I think . When you hit a bump or camber change you can feel it stiffen to buffer the crash or pitch making the car feel more controlled and planted so the ride feels improved and less jolty and jerky.
its not a hovercraft its still a sports car but with the DSC its a much better sports car your still conected and can feel the road but with less fillings dropping out which IMO is what we want as I didnt buy a 911 to get a merc limo ride. You can tell it was designed by a racing driver and in stock set up he designed it for fast road driving :thumb: :thumb:

Nimrod said:
Ken,

Can you give more details on the stuff you have going on for the GT4 particularly the TPC module and gear ratio changes .

Next week when I get a moment I'll write up a thread but in summary these are the things we are doing in house at the moment.

1. Changing gears 3-5 or 3-6 in the gearbox
2. Custom Diff
3. LWFW and upgraded clutch
4. DSC and custom maps for stock suspension - we have four geos available from street/occasional track, 1/2 track, 3/4 track and full track (some suspension parts needed depending on which geo)
5. Custom up rights and custom front splitter
6. Tuning
7. Custom heat protection for track usage
8. Exhausts

Also have a couple of GT4 engines that we will build out this year in capacity and also incorporate some of the x51 power pack parts.

We are fortunate that we have one gt4 that has done 16500 miles on track - so all of the mods are on this car and a couple of other cars have a mixture of the above.

I am probably forgotten some of the mods but will do a thread next week.

Ken

All booked for next Saturday with 9e to have DSC PASM box and 3 axis Acceleorometer fitted. Ken is a great person to talk too,very knowledgeable.
I hope it's as good as what I'm lead to believe.

evodarren said:
All booked for next Saturday with 9e to have DSC PASM box and 3 axis Acceleorometer fitted. Ken is a great person to talk too,very knowledgeable.

Darren, after you have given it a decent road test and some nice bends make sure you give your thoughts on it mate :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
evodarren said:

Darren, after you have given it a decent road test and some nice bends make sure you give your thoughts on it mate :thumb: :thumb:

I will do Phil
Be interesting to see how it changes my GT3

Hi all
Sorry for the shameless plug :puh: but I have just popped one of these units on for sale in the for sale section if anyone is interested:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1384987#1384987

Wonderful upgrade as has been said many times before.
thank you

Fitted mine yesterday, very straight forward to install. As others have said 'what a difference' couldn't imagine driving round with PASM on all the time but you can.
I like the way that pushing the Sport button doesn't switch on PASM as well.
Brilliant upgrade.
Thanks Omar

It's a great update, brings out the potential of the hardware that's already there in such an easy way.

Assume when you say switch PASM on you mean switching PASM to firm? PASM is on all the time, in normal mode (light is off) or firm mode (light is on). If it was possible to switch PASM off we'd have passive dampers, I guess unplugging the module would do that :eek:

easternjets said:
Fitted mine yesterday, very straight forward to install. As others have said 'what a difference' couldn't imagine driving round with PASM on all the time but you can.
I like the way that pushing the Sport button doesn't switch on PASM as well.
Brilliant upgrade.
Thanks Omar

Good to hear your happy with it Nick , and I also like the fact you can go to the sportier map in sport mode without also having the PASM in sport it gives you more control of how you want to drive :thumb:

Glad you like it Nick. Enjoy!

A quick 30 minute drive with the DSC fitted has left me unsure. I have seemed to have lost the roll effect and it feels like the car has lost the original feel I had going into a corner. The flatter cornering effect on the road seems to give me less confidence. Maybe I need to reassess my driving technique. Normal mode feels ok for easy driving, but when you push it, it doesn't feel as good as normal with standard PASM. Definitely sport mode is what you now need for every day driving when pushing it a bit.
I will do a bit more driving when the weather gets better and also swop back to original PASM box to re asses.
On a note I have had my car for 51/2 years now. Maybe I've just got used to the PASM box.

I've got to agree with you Darren, I felt the same and as you say the std ride at normal speeds is a lot smoother but when you push on you do lose a bit of feel. It certainly seems to react better under load but I have at times felt the back end wasn't as planted as it used to feel.
I like the fact that you can switch on Sport without the stiffer ride, that's a better way to have it as a lot of the time you just want Sport to blat past a bit of traffic.
The biggest change though is Sport mode, I think you quickly forget how jarring the original was!

I thought if you activate the sport button, that also changes the pasm to sport/firm at the same time ?

Switching Sport mode on and off
Switching Sport mode on and off simultaneously
activates and deactivates the Sport mode in
PASM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back