Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil temperature sensor specification

pooga

I am looking to take oil temperature sensor feed at the DME plug 3/pin 5 (i believe it is 0-5v) and build analog-to-digital converter using a microcontroller with a LCD display to display oil temperature.

I have put together the microcontroller using Arduino board with LCD display but now need to work out how to convert voltage from sensor to temperature - I believe its a NTC sensors so i am looking for the specification of these sensor to identify the coefficients that i can use with steinhart & hart equation to give me the temperature.

Any one know the manufacturer / model / specification of the sensor?

Oil temperature Porsche part no is 99660640501 and is the same as the coolant temperature sensor.

Oil temp/level sensor is definitely different to the coolant temp sensor - I know various parts sites list the same part number in error - the Porsche parts catalogue should reveal the correct part number

...the coolant temp sensor is an inch or so long....

....the oil temp/level sensor looks like this (excuse the rotation!)......

11izkls.jpg

stabs in through the "top" of the engine (on early cars it fouls the intake manifold, which needs to be removed for access)
i.e. don't investigate and attempt to draw it out, as you will likely damage it by leveraging on it sideways once you feel that you've raised it the couple of inches needed to remove (based on images of the coolant sensor).....

demon said:
Oil temp/level sensor is definitely different to the coolant temp sensor - I know various parts sites list the same part number in error - the Porsche parts catalogue should reveal the correct part number

...the coolant temp sensor is an inch or so long....

....the oil temp/level sensor looks like this (excuse the rotation!)......

11izkls.jpg

stabs in through the "top" of the engine (on early cars it fouls the intake manifold, which needs to be removed for access)
i.e. don't investigate and attempt to draw it out, as you will likely damage it by leveraging on it sideways once you feel that you've raised it the couple of inches needed to remove (based on images of the coolant sensor).....

it's the oil temperature sensor specification i am after part 27 on the diagram.

just after the technical specification for the sensor if its available?

Attachments

• oil_sensor_486.jpg
    oil_sensor_486.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 3,687
My 2003 C4S has oil level and oil pressure output but not oil temperature, is there a fix/ mod for this?

demon said:
the sensor you have circled is not an oil temp sensor - it is a coolant temp sensor - the right hand side of the structure it is screwed into is a water jacket

read the following article (fig.2 and fig.3) and look at the "parts for this project" shown to the right side of the page

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar..._Sensors/26-FUEL-Replacing_Engine_Sensors.htm

Thanks Damon - i understand now! some sites are showing 99660640501 as oil / coolant sensor!

The correct sensor is 996-606-150-01 (as you have have pointed out :oops: )

Anyone know if the sensor specification is available of this? (i am starting to think not!)

bakerboy4s said:
My 2003 C4S has oil level and oil pressure output but not oil temperature, is there a fix/ mod for this?

I have built a digital display for oil temperature - but I need the sensor specification to calibrate it.

Not knowing the temperature isn't an issue for me other than others say the oil takes about 15 mins to reach optimum temp for best circulation before letting her rip :lol:

pooga said:
Anyone know if the sensor specification is available of this? (i am starting to think not!)

Definitely a challenge at least....
- the fact that its a weird "dual" sensor has foxed a lot of people in the past, but it must be possible to take some kind of temp reading from it as the DME does i.e. on my '98 the idle air control valve receives a signal from the oil temp sensor via the DME to indicate when the engine is up to temperature and no longer needs assistance at idle....... every other german car seems to use a coolant temp sensor signal for this, but Porsche opted for an oil sensor... which they then combined with a level sensor...... even though the car has a manual dipstick..... and they then put the huge long sensor under an intake manifold....

....that said, it may be that the DME has a fairly binary input from the temp sensor, rather than a genuine temp scale, as that's likely all it needs on the early cable throttle cars......... : '

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back