Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 next week, worried.

Raptorace

Hey guys, I've owned 4x 997's ove the years and currently have a 997.2 S Cab which Ive loved. Ive hung onto it because I'm worried about the electronic steering on the 991's.
Spotted a 2014 991 S aerokit cub online and got carried away😂 it arrives next week!

The thing is that I'm one of those guys that takes his cars on track and European road trips etc etc and I drive pretty hard so I'm really worried I'm going to hate this electronic steering especially after over 10 years with the brilliant 997's steering.

Can anyone here (who really pushes their car) put my mind at rest, ie has good expoenece in both 997's and 991?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 1642501d_9281_48fa_989f_18c34b32e1d8_119.png
    1642501d_9281_48fa_989f_18c34b32e1d8_119.png
    843.7 KB · Views: 5,800
You did not test drive it first and see what it was like?

Nope I did not. Crazy I know, it's 200 miles away and snowing, so I just bought it on line as didn't want to miss it.

Raptorace said:
Nope I did not. Crazy I know, it's 200 miles away and snowing, so I just bought it on line as didn't want to miss it.

Class :thumbs:

Now that's how you buy a car :grin:

:thumb:

I'd go back to some of the initial reviews (YouTube maybe) when the 991 was first launched. I seem to recall they weren't too bad when the reviewers spoke about the electric steering back then and you don't really hear it mentioned now so i am sure it's fine 👍

Raptorace said:

Good lad. More or less bought mine the same way. I can't be doing with dicking about once I've made a decision. Looks a lovely car and I'm sure it'll be grand. Enjoy!

PS Mine was as described and more :wink: But I knew it would be.

Norfolk & Idea said:
Raptorace said:

Good lad. More or less bought mine the same way. I can't be doing with dicking about once I've made a decision. Looks a lovely car and I'm sure it'll be grand. Enjoy!

PS Mine was as described and more :wink: But I knew it would be.

Ive bought every one of my porsches online , never tried the actual car before I bought it , I test drove some others to ascertain what I wanted then just looked around for the right one .... buy from reputable dealer ... not many worries ...

don't worry , you will love it ...

From my experience of 997 and 991 on road and track, if overall a 997 is 10 out of 10, then overall a 991 is 9.5 out of 10.

So nothing to worry about.

The electric PAS is only slightly noticeable as a "dullness" when extremely provoked (when compared to the hydraulic PAS).

I think DRZ is about right I would have given the 991 a 9.

Just make sure power steering plus is turned off and then it is pretty good .

Nimrod said:

Didn't know you could do that! How do you turn it off Nimrod?

DerbyJim said:
Nimrod said:

Didn't know you could do that! How do you turn it off Nimrod?

Don't think you can, I had a 991.1 CS and a 991.2 C4S Targa and I didn't notice any button (not that I looked) :?:

It can be disabled but its a Visit to the OPC but I believe it turns itself off when you reach 25mph anyway . I owned a 981 and the electric pas was as good as it gets but the 991 I drove during a Day at Rockingham was very different not bad but not as sharp as the 981.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back