Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Convertible

just to add ..

On a 997 there are codeing options for comfort .. i cant remember off hand for a 996 though .. i dont think there are but a codeing check of the convertible roof cu is a good start if you have a 3 button key which doesn't work .

Reguards the button working with a hardtop on then it shouldn,t .. there is a switch failure there somewhere , i would have thought there will be problems with the hardtop removed and operateing the cab roof though .. warning message or not locking is what i would expect .

In a recent survey of convertible owners (who expressed a preference)

62% have three buttons
38% have two buttons

Just in case anyone still cares
:hand:

Kingb4 said:
Mine also controls the roof from the key. I wonder why anyone would 'opt' not to have this function.

Worryingly the roof seems to respond to the remote even when the hardtop is on..... :eek: That panicked me.

I also discovered that the button to open the frunk (froot?) also unlocks the doors, presumably to save numpties like me who drop the key in with the shopping and then close the lid.

Bluebird911 said:
My Car is a yr 2000 Cab...

..Never use the button to operate the roof remotely, completely pointless as I can drop the roof once in the car.

On the contrary, it is quite fun to watch from outside the car. Like a budget Transformer.

dombo said:
Bluebird911 said:
My Car is a yr 2000 Cab...

..Never use the button to operate the roof remotely, completely pointless as I can drop the roof once in the car.

On the contrary, it is quite fun to watch from outside the car. Like a budget Transformer.

Damn impressive in Supermarket car parks!

Two buttons on mine, one for doors, one for roof - cable operated bonnet and boot release.

Attachments

• img_1751_830.jpg
    img_1751_830.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,324
Demort said:
just to add ..

Reguards the button working with a hardtop on then it shouldn,t .. there is a switch failure there somewhere , i would have thought there will be problems with the hardtop removed and operateing the cab roof though .. warning message or not locking is what i would expect .

TBH I dont know if it would actually start trying to raise the soft-top with the hardtop on. When I accidentally pressed the button, its started to drop the rear-quarter windows - so I immediately released the button.
The roof was working perfectly about 3 weeks ago, before I put the hardtop on, so hopefully should be fine when the hardtop gets removed (not for some time, based on current weather!)

I've got the cabriolet roof-rack, advice is to pull the fuse for the roof motors so that the roof can't move in this situation, might be an idea for when the hard-top is on?

The hard top locks on the front catch and so operates the switch there , the roof should not be able to open if the latch is still engaged .

Windows dropping is the first step but it shouldn't continue after that due to the front latch microswitch still being engaged by the hard top lock.

It would be the same if you pressed the cab roof button inside the car .

EDIT ..

I was asked this on another post a while back so i tryed it with a hard top fitted .. the roof didnt open .

Demort said:
Windows dropping is the first step but it shouldn't continue after that due to the front latch microswitch still being engaged by the hard top lock.

Thanks, thats useful to know. As I never got to that point in the roof sequence (stopped as soon as the windows moved a fraction, I had meant to press the frunk button), it is all probably fine. However I am not brave enough to test this and will avoid pressing the button......

Good idea about the fuse, looks to be fuse D3 (30A).

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but trying to work out my key. I have 2 buttons top one is the central locking! Pretty bashed up but just about works. Bottom is a picture of the front boot but when i hold this the windows come down! I assume this must have been a repllacement case at some-point. Is there a cost effective way to upgrade this to a 3 button version or is it just a case of buying a new key from the main OPC?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back