Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Comfort & Club Sport

jotaking

Folks,

I am interested to know your thoughts on the importance of the CS package.

Used pricing for Comfort/Clubsport is currently +10 to 15k in favour of the CS.

From my reading, the CS package adds rear cage, bucket seats, driver harness and fire extinguisher.

The main difference for me is the bucket seats. I am not that bothered about a rear cage or fire extinguisher.

Is there any mileage retro-fitting a used set of bucket seats into a comfort spec?

Finding the seats is the issue.

Assuming your talking 997, a pair of original seats, if you can find them, may cost you circa £8k

If your spending 8, you may as well spend 10 and get a clubsport.

Club sport, just because EVERYONE will ask if it is one or not :roll:

:thumb:

I agree with both above.

It just makes sense. You prefer bucket seats and buyers want Clubbies.
It's the ethos of the car. Neither have rear seats so an argument for Comforts being more practical isn't really that valid.

CS every time. The cage is a pain as far as fitting luggage in if you do lots of trips but that's about all I can think off.

CS, CS, CS! :food:

PS It's a nicer problem to have either way. Enjoy the search. :thumb:

The simple fact of the matter is that they sell far fewer Clubsports than they do comforts and the CS is consequently not only considered more desirable but is also harder to come by. Essentially - the price gap between the two is unlikely ever to even think about narrowing, so unless you explicitly want a comfort (and many do) or the funds aren't available to pay the extra : buy a Clubsport. If you keep it forever then you won't regret it and if you at some point sell on then you are likely to get all of the difference and more back when you get out of it.

Retrofitting buckets into a sports seat car is rarely financially sensible as the seats are either extremely difficult to source used or mind meltingly expensive to get new. Better to hunt down a car that is as you want it to begin with - many comforts were specced with buckets (indeed with the 996 and 997.2 : most of them; but with the 997.1 very few indeed as they were a £4k option).

Disco said:
The simple fact of the matter is that they sell far fewer Clubsports than they do comforts and the CS is consequently not only considered more desirable but is also harder to come by. Essentially - the price gap between the two is unlikely ever to even think about narrowing, so unless you explicitly want a comfort (and many do) or the funds aren't available to pay the extra : buy a Clubsport. If you keep it forever then you won't regret it and if you at some point sell on then you are likely to get all of the difference and more back when you get out of it.
Sound advice indeed. :thumbs:

DRZ911 said:
Disco said:
Sound advice indeed. :thumbs:
I started with a 996.2 Comfort with bucket seats and it was a good compromise. Moved on to a 997.1 CS so now i have he fun of poking small bags thru the scaffolding when I go on a trip. If you find a CS in your colour/spec/price range then my advice is go for it.

Mine is a bit of a hybrid as it's comfort spec but with a cage and harnesses and comfort seats. These have since been replaced with Sparco buckets for two reasons:
1) OEM buckets are mental price
2) already had it in my turbo

If I had the cash spare I would have gone club sport but if you are happy to chuck a cage and decent modern aftermarket buckets in you can save a ton of money for essentially the same car. It won't ever be worth as much but buy cheaper sell cheaper and sell the aftermarket bits on there own.

Just me opinion though

CS will have the external cut switch if there is a fire and to activate the fire ex

I thought that the CS was always centre console delete too so you have more leg room. or was it an option? one of the best things I have done on my comfort GT3 is get rid of all that clutter in the middle. was only holding CDs anyways!!

the CS cage is more comprehensive than a bolt in techquipment cage as welded to the rear turret and suspension points plus different mounting points. plus you can age a front cage as bolt in in the CS which you can't on a comfort with added techquipment.

NLW73 said:
CS will have the external cut switch if there is a fire and to activate the fire ex

I thought that the CS was always centre console delete too so you have more leg room. or was it an option? one of the best things I have done on my comfort GT3 is get rid of all that clutter in the middle. was only holding CDs anyways!!

the CS cage is more comprehensive than a bolt in techquipment cage as welded to the rear turret and suspension points plus different mounting points. plus you can age a front cage as bolt in in the CS which you can't on a comfort with added techquipment.

Totally agree with all of the above, like I said just down to intended use. I did briefly look at GT4's and knew I could build what I wanted for less than the equivalent clubsport version as my budget was already stretched.

Any which way the cars are brilliant so no loss and to me half the fun is in building your own interpretation of the car

Thanks for the input folks.

Looks like CS is the one.

Butlins instead of Orlando this summer and I think I can do it!

:thumb:

NLW73 said:

1) The cutout switch isn't connected to anything by default except in the 996.1 - it's a ~700 addon for the extra hardware on the 996.2 & it only cuts the ignition. The fire extinguisher isn't involved at all. It's purely manual because it isn't plumbed-in.

2) Console delete was a no cost option on the 996 GT3 but it can't be done on the later cars due to the PCM gubbins. I have a feeling that if you did a PCM delete it would give you a deleted centre console too but I could be wrong.

3) The CS cage isn't welded to anything. It's bolted to the rear turrets & welded floor plates with 3 captive bolts at the bottom of the B pillar

NXI20 said:
NLW73 said:

2) Console delete was a no cost option on the 996 GT3 but it can't be done on the later cars due to the PCM gubbins. I have a feeling that if you did a PCM delete it would give you a deleted centre console too but I could be wrong.

Not 100% and possible pedantry, but I think that on the 996 GT3 it was the other way around (no console was standard and the option was to add it back. (Certainly my old 996 GT3 had a console and had an option code for it to be there). The console was also a cost option on early model poverty spec 986 Boxsters as I recall too (and usually chosen as there was no glove box and perilously little other storage in the thing, but console-less 2.5s are still fairly common).

The console was standard on 996 Carreras irrespective of PCM, PCM wasn't an option at all on the 996 GT3 and if you delete the audio on a 997 or 991 then you still got a console but with a plastic cubby where the PCM usually goes. The console itself couldn't be deleted as unlike the 996 there was nowhere else to relocate the heating controls to. :thumb:

Also. On the 997 the console doesn't get in the way as much.

God, there is a sad amount of anorakism going on here :floor:

jotaking said:
Folks,

I am interested to know your thoughts on the importance of the CS package.

Used pricing for Comfort/Clubsport is currently +10 to 15k in favour of the CS.

From my reading, the CS package adds rear cage, bucket seats, driver harness and fire extinguisher.

The main difference for me is the bucket seats. I am not that bothered about a rear cage or fire extinguisher.

Is there any mileage retro-fitting a use6d set of bucket seats into a comfort spec?

If I was you I would leave the Clubsport to those who want one buy a Comfort specification and save the premium for some non OEM buckets. Job done and ~£10k saved.

Pip

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back