Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine Died

DucatiRob

Mugello
Hi all, looking for some help! Out for a drive yesterday in the sunshine, had only been going for about 10 mins, thought I felt a misfire at first, then a few seconds later as I was pulling out of a junction the engine began to run very rough, CEL came on and within a minute just stopped! Engine would not start again at all. I had the car recovered back home last night (3 hour wait :sad: )

Have just put my cheapie OBD2 Bluetooth code reader on and have 'Injector Circuit Low' faults on all cylinders codes PO264/261/273/270/276/267, so clearly something wrong with the fuel circuit, the fact that it's all cylinders makes me think is an electrical issue with the fuel injection!

Any help would be very much appreciated!

It sounds like what happened to me when 2 coil packs died at the same time.

Fault codes seem to relate to a short circuit and they are all the same fault , pict below of just one of them along with the wiring for the injectors.

I have to admit i thought there was an ignition feed to the injectors and the dme sent an earth switch .

From looking at the diagram though it seems there is a constant earth to the injectors via a capacitor i think , probably for interference supression .

Difficult to see a short circuit on all of them at one time but i have a hunch that it might be a single injector has failed .

Quickest test for this would be to unplug each injector in turn and see if the car starts i guess .

From the fault code it could also be the DME so maybe have a look at the fuses .. i doubt one has blown but its still a quick check .. dme isnt cheap so i hope its not that.

The code doesnt mention fuel pressure but i agree with Ragpicker .. is the pump running .. relay for that is on the board above the fuse board .

just to confirm .. your car is the 2006 997 C2 you list ? as on a gen 2 car this sort of thing is related to the high pressure pump .

Attachments

• wiring_1_134.jpg
    wiring_1_134.jpg
    526.1 KB · Views: 3,755
  • code_1_691.jpg
    code_1_691.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 3,755
Thanks for the info :thumb:

Firstly, I have had the interior apart recently as I have been running cables etc for a new radio/amp etc. So wondering if I may have disturbed something or caused a short somewhere :eek:

I cannot hear the fuel pump, I had a listen this morning, even with the filler cap removed, not sure how loud it is but I don't remember ever having heard it before.

Could I have disturbed a relay or fuse, could this cause this type of fault?

Demort said:
just to confirm .. your car is the 2006 997 C2 you list ? as on a gen 2 car this sort of thing is related to the high pressure pump .

Yes Dermot, it's a Gen1.

DME is in the back under the foam panel behind the rear seats so unless you did anything there or ran wires from the engine bay then i doubt it.

Pump is pretty quiet on these so to test you would really need a pressure gauge to measure it or check the voltage at trhe wiring on the pump connector .

The code doent relate to this as such but as there is not way the cars if its got fuel or not then you could in theory get other codes .

I can say ive seen dead pumps before and they didnt leave any code.

Any mice at all where you store the car ?

If it was me then i would be checking the wiring from the dme to the injectors based on that code .. it will either prove a short exists or just to eliminate it and move on .

Ok i just spent ages looking at diagrams for this .. they run through many pages so its a pain following wires .

The join part to all injectors is a feed from the MFI relay its fed from pin 4 of the engine plug and a black 2.5 mm wire .

relay support 1 position 11 is the MFI relay .. this gives power to the injectors and the coils .. the earth side is switched from the dme .

Need to be sure we have voltage to the injectors so a meter on any injector ignition on and see if you have 12 volts .

Voltage must be above 7.5 volts or these codes will be triggered .

Im still thinking this might be a short in a single injector but we need to see if we have voltage at the injectors first .

You may have to unplug each injector and then you can test for a voltage as im guessing if a short in a single injector the dme will switch off voltage to all of them .

Fixed finally! Turned out to be a bad coil pack shorted out to ground!

Big thanks to Dermot for all his help to diagnose and put me on the right track, top fella :thumb:

Was worried it was something I had caused with all the rewiring and pulling off panels for my audio install (thread coming soon.. has taken forever), with Dermot's help I was at least able to confirm it was not something I had done.

For info, I found a thread on another forum, a guy with a turbo had exactly the same problem, same fault showing on all six injectors and the same cause, bad coil pack. He had also recently replaced the coil packs with some uprated ones which turned out to be modified off the shelf items. I replaced mine last year with Surefire items after reading good reviews online. Will be contacting Surefire to see what they say!

Hi Rob, good to hear its sorted mate and nothing to serious, interesting what you say about surefire coilpacks. I am due to get a couple of spare CPs for the Dinslaken trip so will note to stick to Beru :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Hi Rob, good to hear its sorted mate and nothing to serious, interesting what you say about surefire coilpacks. I am due to get a couple of spare CPs for the Dinslaken trip so will note to stick to Beru :thumb:

Cheers Phil :thumb: I will keep the good ones as spares just in case!!

Good to hear it's sorted Rob. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back