Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Radiator fan needed... non OE OK?

pooga said:
Robertb said:
It turns out one of the radiator fans (not the resistor) has failed on my 4S, so I need to replace it.

An OE one from D911 is over £400, but Euro Car Parts have an H Tech branded one for £200, carparts4less have the same for £108, that's quite a saving...

Anyone tried a non OE fan?

Robertb,

Do you have the part no from Euro car parts / carparts4less as the one for 4S - partno 213330120 is over £500 on ECP (£362 with current discount) and £300 CP4L (£259 with current discount)

I can not find the H Tech on both sites for 4S - the only H Tech i can find part no 213330091 is non-4S. is this the one you went for and did you have any problems fitting to 4S?

Are they different for the 4s?
Looking at this they look like the same part numbers I think.

Attachments

• img_5331_202.png
    img_5331_202.png
    171.7 KB · Views: 4,698
MMT said:
pooga said:
Robertb said:
It turns out one of the radiator fans (not the resistor) has failed on my 4S, so I need to replace it.

An OE one from D911 is over £400, but Euro Car Parts have an H Tech branded one for £200, carparts4less have the same for £108, that's quite a saving...

Anyone tried a non OE fan?

Robertb,

Do you have the part no from Euro car parts / carparts4less as the one for 4S - partno 213330120 is over £500 on ECP (£362 with current discount) and £300 CP4L (£259 with current discount)

I can not find the H Tech on both sites for 4S - the only H Tech i can find part no 213330091 is non-4S. is this the one you went for and did you have any problems fitting to 4S?

Are they different for the 4s?
Looking at this they look like the same part numbers I think.

Looking at the parts listing they are different

99662412700 - 4S
99662413500 - Non-4S

not sure if the fans are the same and interchangeable - but the connection + resistor are different

Attachments

• fan_125.jpg
    fan_125.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 4,665
*****, sorry. I was thinking one was standard and the other 4s.

I would be very surprised if they weren't interchangeable, knowing Porsche's obsession at the time for parts sharing. But I'm speculating...

Why bother to change it for the 4S given that its basically a C4?

I can imagine a different fan being required for the Turbo, given its higher performance and different engine.

Demort might know, given his auto-electrical expertise...

Im afraid i do tend to fit what im given , parts guy orders the items for the car by chassis number .. so theres not much i can say .

I will say that if the part numbers are different then theres normally a very good reason for that .. ie they wont fit .

How ever .. i did a search on both those part numbers .. the resistors are different as mentioned .. my guess would be the 4S is a faster speed fan .. hence a more heavy duty fan resistor .

The radiators are different between the 4 & 4S so I guess it would follow that the fans & resistors are different too.

Demort said:
Im afraid i do tend to fit what im given , parts guy orders the items for the car by chassis number .. so theres not much i can say .

I will say that if the part numbers are different then theres normally a very good reason for that .. ie they wont fit .

How ever .. i did a search on both those part numbers .. the resistors are different as mentioned .. my guess would be the 4S is a faster speed fan .. hence a more heavy duty fan resistor .

Cheers Demort, seems we will have to bite the bullet and get the proper fan. Call it a 4S tax haha!

When I replaced the cracked fan on my turbo, I managed to source a 986 (Boxster) fan from a breakers for about £30 in excellent condition. The housing for the fan is different but the actual fan itself and mounting bolt holes are the same.

So I just swapped the Boxster fan over into the turbo housing. The wiring and connector were different so I also needed to re-solder the wires. It was a while ago so am struggling to remember all the details but I think I also re-used the 986 resistor unit which only has 2 settings (low/high) whereas the turbo wiring allows 3 (low/med/high). So I think I'm missing the med speed on that fan and just get low/low/high. Doesn't cause any problems for me and I don't think this would be an issue if you're able to re-use the 3 speed resistor unit.

Hope this helps :)

hacka1979 said:
When I replaced the cracked fan on my turbo, I managed to source a 986 (Boxster) fan from a breakers for about £30 in excellent condition. The housing for the fan is different but the actual fan itself and mounting bolt holes are the same.

So I just swapped the Boxster fan over into the turbo housing. The wiring and connector were different so I also needed to re-solder the wires. It was a while ago so am struggling to remember all the details but I think I also re-used the 986 resistor unit which only has 2 settings (low/high) whereas the turbo wiring allows 3 (low/med/high). So I think I'm missing the med speed on that fan and just get low/low/high. Doesn't cause any problems for me and I don't think this would be an issue if you're able to re-use the 3 speed resistor unit.

That is very interesting- thanks very much for posting up with the tip. I'm told that the resistor checked out OK, so your solution could well work for me and give me the three speeds.

This is the cheapest new OE spec 4S/TT fan I've found. Oddly its on Eurocarparts ebay site, but not their main one, which is annoying as I would otherwise wait til one of their discount offers!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/3519384634...1006862&device=c&campaignid=1058853793&crdt=0

Robertb said:
hacka1979 said:

That is very interesting- thanks very much for posting up with the tip. I'm told that the resistor checked out OK, so your solution could well work for me and give me the three speeds.

This is the cheapest new OE spec 4S/TT fan I've found. Oddly its on Eurocarparts ebay site, but not their main one, which is annoying as I would otherwise wait til one of their discount offers!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/3519384634...1006862&device=c&campaignid=1058853793&crdt=0

Here is ECP Partno. 213330120 - £419 before discount!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back