Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 14
997 : 2004- 75
996 : 1997-2005 38
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 4
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 1
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 18
Cayman : 2005- 10
Cayenne : 2003- 6
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 0
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

angry
Montreal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Whilst I've been attending 18 years, I vividly remember my first lap.

If I was to do it again, I would much prefer to be on a organised Trackday.

Senoj
Zolder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angry wrote:
+ Whilst I've been attending 18 years, I vividly remember my first lap.

If I was to do it again, I would much prefer to be on a organised Trackday.

I think i agree. But a novice sticker please, this would help everyone IMHO Thumb (is Darren reading this? Smile with the Track day’s getting more popular then the knob head count does rise. To balance this off i think for TF it has risen higher. Watching TF is a superb pastime though, especially if you have a decent TD the next day and can revel in the the fact that you wont have to contend with that sort of circus Laughing

Having said all that i am certain if you pick your moment, right day, right time there are some great TF sessions to be had. And in some regard the TF buzz is a thing in its own right.

First track i ever went on was the ring...it was evening TF and had just re opened after a downpour, luckily for me i was the only thing out there.

chaser
Suzuka

2005 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angry wrote:

BTW im TD there in May and Oct if you would like some experienced guidance
Thumb

You could do a lot worse than a few laps with Dan, either in the passenger seat or with him giving instruction Thumb

porkyb1
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are training events which might be of interest

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/drives-fun/drives/sports-driver-trainings/sports-driver-training-nordschleife-xl.html

Not cheap but should start you off on the "right track"

Steve997
Monza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys some great advice from experienced hands.

Swing back to doing a TD event now.

Will look at dates and work schedule but would be good to be there in May or October with an experienced driver like Mr Angry Cool

Armagreggon85
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt say I'm experienced in track driving at all. I've did a couple of half hour sessions, one at silverstone and one at donington, before my first trip to the ring.

The first time i went I did a TF Friday afternoon and then a full TF day on the Saturday. It was October so maybe the traffic wasn't as bad as other times of the year but I found everyone well behaved. The track however was terrifying. I put plenty of hours in on Forza before hand and watched lots of You Tube videos but nothing prepares you for how mental it is. I did 7 laps, i was way slower than most but never felt like i drove past my ability and I was hooked.

I went back again last year and did a full Track Day with Circuit days. It was eye wateringly expensive but I had such an amazing time. Traffic was definitely lighter but again everyone was well behaved and there were only 3 track closures.

After putting a load more time in on forza i felt a lot more confident on the track and I was eager to improve my times. While it didnt rain, being october the track was damp with dew in the morning and took a long time to dry out (still wet off line at 4pm). I pushed at bit too hard too soon and had a bit of a wibble on my first fast lap. Calmed it down from then on but built the speed up throughout the day and managed to complete 23 laps and cut my previous years time by 40 secs. By the end of the day I was pushing pretty hard and had a close call on my final lap so probably a good point to end the day.

I'd say either TF or TD are fine as long as you are sensible and drive within your limits and get insurance. One plus point with the TD is you get to go flat out down the straight and although it's expensive its not bad value when you factor in the number of laps you get to do - a TF lap is about 25 quid.

I've done it twice now and each time its been bliss. I enjoy it so much I've booked in again for May. Fingers crossed i stay sensible and dont bin it!

Teffers
Silverstone

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senoj wrote:
a novice sticker please, this would help everyone IMHO Thumb (is Darren reading this? Smile

Noted.

Kingb4
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve - similar to the advice above, I would recommend a weekday, rather than weekend.
I would also jump at the chance of someone co-driving, who knows the track. I was fortunate that one of my mates has done loads of days there (lives nearby). On a couple of corners I found it a lifesaver. e.g. There is one where you need to brake before the crest of a hill (blind corner the other side), otherwise as you come over the car goes light and you try and brake and skid off (saw 3 people do that) .
I also joined ADAC, so they will rescue your car if you do have an issue.
I also found brake fade to be a big issue (thats covered in the guide thats linked to) - by the end of a lap, I had no brakes at all (was in a BMW).

Overall, I loved the experience. The drive to and from the track, through the Eiffel mountains was great.

Gareth64
Silverstone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting thread. I would just like to balance the very good advice here about not doing the Nurburgring first by saying that I did exactly that and, by following the following pieces of advice, I would say that you absolutely can do it and have a blast.

I had never been on a track in a car before I did the Nurburgring. I think it was a public track day and it was a Sunday.

I did however, have my ex brother-in-law in the passenger seat who has lapped it quite a few times and is a Mazda MX5 competition driver in a team on weekends etc so offered excellent advice all the way through.

Apologies if this all sounds obvious but it should prove very useful to the OP and others too.

1. IMO you will be exhausted after 8-10 laps and you'll want to cool down the brakes after each lap anyway.
2. Keep an eye on your rear view mirror at all times and keep right.
3. Don't race anybody and don't time yourself.
4. Spend the time getting used to the corners, practising efficient downshifting and opening the taps a bit on the straights.
5. GT3s, GTS RSs and M3s will fly past you with alarming regularity. Don't worry.
6. £500 hatch backs will fly past you with alarming regularity. Don't worry.
7. I rented from rentracecar.de (one of the track rental companies) and it was a Toyota GT86 with RWD and 200bhp. It was an absolute blast and plenty fast enough.
8. Whatever you do, don't crash.
9. Have a blast. Don't worry, that's basically guaranteed.
10. The unlimited parts of the Autobahns on the way are great if you're taking your Porsche.
11. Depending what you're driving, I'd rent a car personally. Maybe do a lap in yours but risk of you hitting something/someone, someone hitting you, wear and tear, possible reliability problems on track mean it's better to use someone else's car in my opinion.

Gareth

Teffers
Silverstone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first track I ever drove was the Nürburgring.

Public session, in a Caterham.

Mega fun. Kind of caught 'Ring Worm' from there.

david_yorkshire
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here
first ever trackway was at the 'Ring - 14 years ago
however, it wasn't a TF

It was a race driver training day !

(I had no idea what I'd booked!)

only about 12 cars on the track at once - and I was the only person not in a full on race car (Boxster S)
I lived to tell the tale - been since, on TF days and yes, its very frustrating.
It can be very overwhelming.

I was given some good advice - drive it like a UK A/B road that you've never driven before, and keep a very close eye on your mirrors !

Must get round to trying a DN day sometime...

Steve997
Monza

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone some great tips and got a lot to think about.

All help appreciated.

wh00sher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first ever circuit driving experience was in my daily driver in TF back in 2006.

I had watched a few videos before but really had no idea what to expect. What a rush ! I was buzzing for ages afterwards, even though I nearly went straight on at Adenauer Forst Grin

I did 5 laps in 2 days and absolutely loved it. Now, I do 20+ laps per day but get a different sort of thrill compared to the wide eyed `what on Earth is next` fear and sense of adventure you feel when you don`t really know what you are doing or where it goes next. Surprised

One of the reasons I enjoy taking people out for their first lap is that excitement you only ever get on that first time around. Very Happy

Methodman
Silverstone

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first trip to the ring last year, which ended up in me going back another couple of times as it's VERY addictive.

First time I went I'd arranged it with RSR nurburg to do the first timer package, which basically involved a morning of driving the back roads around the ring in a BMW M2 (while my tour guide was in front in another M2), it was actually really good as they show you some excellent points to view the track from and how to get there, history of the circuit etc, the guys were very knowledgeable. Then stopped for lunch at the Schmitz family restaurant - extremely tasty so went back a few times during my five days there. The afternoon was a tour around the GP circuit, or to be honest I basically tagged along with a pre-arranged tour group already there, the majority of the tour was in german which was a pain as i had to wait for the guide to finish talking so that he could then translate into english for me, i wouldn't bother doing that again unless you're a hardcore gp fan.

After that was the best bit though... 4 laps in a Clio RS220 with trackday instructor, it really was an eye opener, the biggest shock was the elevation changes, and after two laps I had to stop as it does get tiring with the concentrating! So that was my first day at the ring!

The next four days involved a bit of touring during the day around the back roads which are pretty amazing, some cool sites to see as well if you do some pre-trip googling, can also watch at various points around the track if there's VLN or manufacturer testing. Then at touristenfahrten time (1715 to 1900 usually) it was time to take the 911 on. All I can suggest is go at your own pace, they reckon it takes at least 150 laps to learn the track, there's very little run off in some areas so last thing you want to do is prang your pride and joy! Definitely keep your eye on the mirrors as locals in banged up VW's or old school bmw's WILL be faster than you, that's a fact. I was doing two laps at a time as i felt i needed a rest after that, but no doubt you will absolutely love it, it's petrolhead heaven, and I'll be going back quite a few times this year! Enjoy and stay safe! Thumb

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: