Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bore Scoring

ian_alex

Monza
What is the received wisdom about bore scoring on the 997 gen 1 and 2 please?
If contemplating a purchase what advice would you give on model choice?
Thanks for any views.

Gen 2 has had the odd case of borescore but not enough to be a worry and May well just be cases that have been abused.

Gen1 the widely accepted info is maybe around 5% of cars suffer this which means 95% dont the odds are higher of you being run over :grin:
the 3.6 engine in the stronger and sufferes less than the 3.8
the tip cars suffer more than the Maunual due to the default second gear pull away potentially straining the engine.

IMS bearings are only an issue on early cars by march 06 all were with the newer bearing pre march 06 you need to check vin number for those with the newer bearing .

having said that you dont want to be one of the 5% so get a ppi and borescope before buying anything
when you have brought it follow the reccomended procedures to minimise any risk . let me know if you need to know what these are.

Having said all that my 06 gen1 I tip had for four years did 50k miles sold it with 89k on the clock had it borescoped before selling and it was clean as a whistle. :thumb:

Dont be put off these cars by the internet stories it happens to a tiny percent but they are the ones that shout and moan on the net no one says " drove my 911 today and nothing went wrong"
Your doing the right thing and asking advise so you can buy eyes open . buy a good car and most are , and enjoy driving it they give you less issues it driven regularly and are not garage queens.
oh yes and lastle these cars are not made of paper mache and can be used in the wet :floor: :floor:

Phil,
Thanks for the comprehensive response. I have a 996.2 at the moment which I drive according to the rules ie warm up fully then use and service meticulously esp oil changes.
I am aiming for a late 997 so should be OK with these issues.
Thanks again

ian_alex said:
If contemplating a purchase what advice would you give on model choice?
Thanks for any views.

if your budget allows I'd definitely go for a Gen 2 car and as you've already got a 996.2 I'd go for an 'S' to really notice the difference.

Sterling work Phil.....when do you become a Moderator? ..... :grin:

Porschekit said:
Sterling work Phil.....when do you become a Moderator? ..... :grin:
He's too busy on the comedy circuit at the moment as Peter Kay needed a stand in :wink:

Phil never a Mod he can't stop posting photos of girls with large chesticals
:floor:

mzmini said:
Phil never a Mod he can't stop posting photos of girls with large chesticals
:floor:
There needs to be the right balance of cars v jugs and Phil may just be the man to keep the Mod's honest :?:

Noooo way :floor: :thumb:

Gents , I have only just seen this as I was out enjoying one of my two hobbies and yes it wasnt the 911 last night, it was the one involving chesticals :grin: :grin:
I won't make any ref to her not needing a DSC module during the test drive :floor: :floor:

The comments did make me laugh, but am just pleased to have a new PORSCHE icon above my pic , I can only assume its a gift from 911 towers for managing to have three consecutive days without posting any pics of girls :grin: :grin: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back