Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My accident and a worthwhile read

rabbitstew said:
I find im usually able to predict what other drivers are going to do before they do it. But even so ive been knocked off my bike a couple of times in the past. Once was an identical situation to the OP. Woman driver coming out of side road, im on my bike. She stopped, actually gets eye contact with me. Then as im virtually level she pulls straight out in front of me. Bang. She then claimed not to have seen me. She admitted liability straight away, but by the time it went through her Insurance she had changed her tune. Ended up as a 50/50 settlement after year of haggling.

How can it ever be 50/50 if she's joining or crossing your carriageway?! I can imagine this must have got you pretty angry at the time..

@ rabbitstew thats identicle to what happened to me but i actually was in front of her when she pulled out .. ill always remember suddenly seeing the headlight at my left foot and thinking what the hell .. cant remember the rest to be honest .

She claimed to the police i had come out of no where .. as im lying in the road the copper tells me this and asks me for details .. where do you live he said .. i pointed to my left .. that house there .. i was turning into my driveway .. well almost .

He had a go at her .. she admitted she didnt look and just pulled out .

He then prosecuted her for undue care and attention .

from reading the many comments here .. a lot more than i was expecting .. it seems many of you have had far worse than me .. i have sat here cringeing at some of your details and also the fact some of you dont ride now .

Thats is the bigest shame .. i went through similar thoughts but after posting a picture here of my injurys and the P%ss takeing i got it help me no end .. it was the tonic i needed and for the guys who did it i salute you .

The post is a bit biased as its a biker one , the details like all studys are interesting but i think modern design plays a big part these days .. like some of the comments some mirrors or A posts make it hard to see properly .

I think the best safety add i have every seen on the subject was if i remember correctly ..

Look right
Look left
Look Right again .

My injurys are fine now .. had to give Phil some ammo to play with though :D

@Phil .. judgeing the speed of a car comeing towards you is i feel easier than a bike .. and sometimes we bikers dont help ourselves .

pedestrian .. they aint going to be doing 40 mph so easy again :)

my old bike post accident!!! sadly now all gone 24 years ago....gosh i am getting old

Attachments

• dpic2002_0626_094331aa_194.jpg
    dpic2002_0626_094331aa_194.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 6,898
  • dbike12002_0626_094212aa_218.jpg
    dbike12002_0626_094212aa_218.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 6,898
Demort,

Glad you aren't seriously hurt, you could try Arnica on the bruises.

Pete.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back