Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Two Aerokitted 996s - £25k & £29k. Thoughts?

I didn't actually check the links before.

Yellow one has a sunroof :(

Silver one has a vile interior :(

Both of those would be deal breakers for me, even if you knocked £10k off the asking and ignored the dodgy histories.

GLWTS....

your two choices...

They both look nice and if the service history was spot on then the yellow one would be my choice.

BIG gaps in the service history would put me off as all it would do is nag me wondering why and what is lurking ready to give me a hard smack.

Plenty of superb cars out there with service history to match and that will give a far better ownership experience.

:judge:

That's 997 money.....as said above overpriced

Just my 2p worth on the cars and comments so far.

Not everyone wants a 997. :wink:
I'll never swap mine for one if values meet.

Sunroof. Well yes it's a bit of extra weight where you don't want it but unless you're that good on track you can extract every tenth of a second out a car, then the sunroof is generally a bonus, especially for summer road trips and things. All just preference though.
I defy anyone to drive a sunroof and non sunroof car and be able to tell which one has the sunroof. Especially when you add different suspension into the equation as a sunroof car with coilovers will roll less than a non sunroof on standard stuff.

As for the cars. They both look nice but as said they have huge gaps in the service history.
To think I whinge because mine has a single years stamp missing.

Someone needs to take the seller of the yellow one to a car show and show him a concours car. His engine bay is anything but.

This is my dad's MG midget engine bay, before it was finished and a bit dusty.
He doesn't call this concours, even though he won best classic MG in the biggest show up here.

Regarding the painted gurney strip on the yellow car, they were black on GT3s but body colour on Carrera aerokits so that may be original.
The front splitter/chin spoiler was never body colour though, only black, so that has definitely been painted.

Anyway lovely cars but I don't think the market is there yet. Low £20k's for a minter with 50k plus miles on I think. Collector miles maybe £25k eg 20-30k miles or less.

Also as touched upon, a car has either been dry stored so not serviced as zero miles covered, or it's been used and serviced. No use saying dry stored so not serviced but there's a load of miles been done. Sheesh. :nooo:

Thanks for lumping me in with the rest of these feckless cumshedders re: sunroof :)

My reasons for avoiding sunroof cars are:

1) I need the extra headroom
2) They rattle
3) They leak
4) The car looks better without a black rectangle breaking up the roofline

But I'm sure someone somewhere is all conflicted and trying to work out if the purity of the cable throttle compensates for the adverse handling caused by the sunroof....

To me, having no sunroof is a bonus rather than a necessity. I just think that they are a waste of time and don't look very nice.

Silver car: the service book shows only minor services from 2008 to 2017, so I'm going to assume its not had an oil change in all that time.
2-yearly brake fluid changes: 2001, 2011, 2017
This car is probably worth £15k

Yellow car: That dry storage period is worrying, and the mileage on the history doesnt match up: 18k miles in 2004 at an OPC, then 32k miles in 2003 at GrayPaul?! Its a time machine!
This car is being sold for its value, plus the £15k he's spent on it.

I would suggest ignoring milage and going for something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/996-C2-manual-95k-GT3-aero-kit-911/202229384602 (replacement engine fitted, enthusiast owned - always a benefit, and he's happy to talk to you)
Or if you can past the looks, this one has flappy paddles and he's been honest about it going racing:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-996-Carrera-road-track-gt3/173134528702

Regarding the painted gurney strip on the yellow car, they were black on GT3s but body colour on Carrera aerokits so that may be original.
The front splitter/chin spoiler was never body colour though, only black, so that has definitely been painted.

I didn't know that.
Of the aero cars that I've seen, some have black strips, some are body coloured and some have none at all?

Marky911 said:
Someone needs to take the seller of the yellow one to a car show and show him a concours car. His engine bay is anything but.

This is my dad's MG midget engine bay, before it was finished and a bit dusty.
He doesn't call this concours, even though he won best classic MG in the biggest show up here.

:

Agreed. 'Concours condition' should only be used in an ad if a car has actually placed in a concours!

To be fair, the yellow car is very, very clean...

eabeukes said:
Silver car: the service book shows only minor services from 2008 to 2017, so I'm going to assume its not had an oil change in all that time.
2-yearly brake fluid changes: 2001, 2011, 2017
This car is probably worth £15k

Yellow car: That dry storage period is worrying, and the mileage on the history doesnt match up: 18k miles in 2004 at an OPC, then 32k miles in 2003 at GrayPaul?! Its a time machine!
This car is being sold for its value, plus the £15k he's spent on it.

I would suggest ignoring milage and going for something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/996-C2-manual-95k-GT3-aero-kit-911/202229384602 (replacement engine fitted, enthusiast owned - always a benefit, and he's happy to talk to you)

Excellent post.

Sundayjumper said:
Thanks for lumping me in with the rest of these feckless cumshedders re: sunroof :)

My reasons for avoiding sunroof cars are:

1) I need the extra headroom
2) They rattle
3) They leak
4) The car looks better without a black rectangle breaking up the roofline

But I'm sure someone somewhere is all conflicted and trying to work out if the purity of the cable throttle compensates for the adverse handling caused by the sunroof....

:grin:

Sorry SJ, I forgot about the benefit to tall people and had mentally filed you under the pseudo racing driving section of my brain. :puh:

You're right though they do often rattle. :thumb:

The silver car linked above is Gixxer's off here and looks like a great base for someone. If that doesn't fly off the shelf then that's the proper indicator of where the market is. Things are slower at the moment, is it interest rates? Brexit? Winter? who knows.

I don't care! :D
I have my car so my search is long forgotten and I'll spend more on it than I'll ever get back, so I'm not interested in values to be honest.

Every hobby costs money, but due to older cars rocketing in price, some people think they can own an old 911 for free. They are the ones who get a big shock.
:grin:

I see the yellow car at FGP has "deposit taken" now.

Edited to add - I see that the transition of leaving the EU is a swear word now.
It comes up as 911UK. Honestly....

g911omr said:
The boot lid has been painted as well. There should be a black rubber strip on the lower spoiler. :?: It looks yellow to me...
Mine is the same, I think it's factory.

Found a photo of my lid.

Attachments

• b4190bd9_ea88_4119_9a61_a8e43ecd3a3f_201.jpeg
    b4190bd9_ea88_4119_9a61_a8e43ecd3a3f_201.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,142

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back