Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gear shifter.

g911omr

Nurburgring
I've not been happy with the short shift kit fitted by the PO on my C2.
However, I have got myself a standard 997 one to fit in its place hopefully.
Is it just a straight swap or am I likely to make a balls up without some prior knowledge?

Cheers

Thanks.
I'll fit it this weekend. Hopefully it will improve things.

What don't you like about your gear change? May be mothing to do with the ssk.

It is definitely the SSK. The throw is really short. I can just about live with it but would rather have something a bit longer. I drove another car last year that had one fitted as well and didn't like that either. I'm hoping a standard 997 shifter will be an improvement.

definitely if its the length of shift you don't like.

I forget which exact one, but isn't the general advice on this to fit the 997 GT3 shifter? OEM Porsche, not that expensive, bolts straight in.

Dammit said:
I forget which exact one, but isn't the general advice on this to fit the 997 GT3 shifter? OEM Porsche, not that expensive, bolts straight in.

It is - it has metal bushes but is expensive at £240. The regular 997 shifter is also supposed to be good, but has plastic bushes, and is about £100 cheaper.

I fitted the GT3 one to mine last year...

I doubt that it will fix the side-to-side slop in the way that the nice machined parts from the US do though, I wonder if just those parts are available?

MC

I have the shifter here now and it feels fine. No looseness in the mechanism at all. I have no idea what SSK is in there at the moment, I'll have a gander at the weekend.

I've just installed a new 997.2 GT3 shifter and had a quick question...

Some people have said that the cables should be placed back exactly in the same position as they came out (count the threads and place back exactly) and others have said that the grey/green tool (came with the new shifter) that holds the shifter in neutral should be used and the cables installed with the shifter in that position.

Can anybody clarify the correct procedure?

Many thanks.

Well, short shift removed and 997 part fitted. Much much better. Longer throw obviously but also much easier and nicer to use. Interestingly the SSK had quite a lot of play in it. The replacement has virtually none.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back