Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PDK Service

It's interesting that ZF developed the box to be filled for life. Porsche decided they would implement oil changes, despite ZF having tested the unit with none.

its got the same type clutch pack as the BorgWarner one fitted to the GTR...

dodson say its simular and likewise do upgrades as they do for the borgWarner units

My old thermofluids lecturer on my Masters degree in eng would often say use cheap oil and change often than a posh oil that stays in too long. he did consulting for BMW

one guy on here had it tested after 30K miles and it was kaput so tests in a lab or on a test track pounding miles is different to car sat around thrashed from cold etc

I do think the sticking to oil changes on mileage only and not a yearly change is one reason the 997.1 bore scoring issues

Older TC autos are much more sensitive to fluid quality and condition than something like pdk. Fluid is acting only as a lubricant, in a slushbox its also transmitting all the torque when the TC is unlocked, so temperature management is a much bigger issue, and its heat that degrades the fluid

What temps does the fluid hit in a pdk in enthusiastic driving?

My point was the pdk oil is the clutch oil which is changed at 6 years .. the gear oil which is changed at 12 years is in the " gears " part of the box and that part is pretty much the same as a manual box ( it does the same thing ) .. 75/90 i think .. never changed it yet though .

If people want to change the gear oil at 6 instead of 12 years then im not going to argue .. more work for the garages :D

i just dont like people spending money when i dont feel its necessary and as such i come here and offer what advise i can .. and yes i dont know everything !

I wasn't having a go...this is likely the only thing I know a little about

it should be about £130 ie 5 litres and not silly Porsche prices...

Nissan wanted £1200 for their special oil (Pentiosin FFL4) but really it cost £200

often you can't get all the old oil out so it less

maph said:
911TEL said:
I have been quoted 1200 of our GB pounds for the privilege....is that the going rate or should I ask another OPC for a quote .....?

No as Dermot has said, they have quoted you for replacement of the gear oil which is required at 12 years/ 112k miles and involves a new sump pan, even so £1200 sounds really high.

The clutch oil that you need at 6 years/ 56k miles should only cost you £250 or so.

Demort said:
If the software update is done as standard then thats a new thing as it never used to be .. i would ask if it is or if they can do it on booking or on the day .

Please let me know if it is standard though :thumb:

No it is not standard, I spoke to my OPC about it and the line they gave me is that if it is working fine leave it. If you have clunky changes etc it is worth doing but it may not improve it and could even make it worse.

Demort said:
The gearbox has to cool down to less than 30 degrees to set the oil lvl .. this is not always possible in one day .. at work i ask for 2 days just in case .

Agreed, my OPC told me exactly that and needed the car for 2 days.

Cheers, I suspected a bit of wizardry was going on....

Is that 2 days if they change the gearbox oil also , presumably not if its just the Pentosin ..?

I had the 6-year service and MOT done on my 997.2 turbo, which came to £1,100 and included:

[labour]

(a) MOT
(b) Engine oil & filter
(c) Brake fluid change
(d) Air filter
(e) Drive belt
(f) Diff oil
(g)PDK clutch oil "PDK TRANS OIL 6.00 17.82 EACH"

Didn't seem unreasonable to me for a 200mph car.

911TEL said:
Is that 2 days if they change the gearbox oil also , presumably not if its just the Pentosin ..?

They told me that they needed it for two just for the clutch oil change. They ended up having it for three but did do the front brake pads and actuator rods on the turbos as well.

The 6 year service I had on my 997.2 C4S was £855 by Brooklands OPC, but this didn't include the engine oil or parts and labour for drive belt and air filters, would have been about £1100 I guess.

6 year service
- Minor Service - £320 inc VAT with you supplying your own oil.
- Brake fluid: change fluid - £95 inc VAT
- Controlled all-wheel drive: change oil - £210 inc VAT
- PDK: change clutch oil - £230 inc vAT
- Drive belt & air cleaners: Recently been done, not needed

Other
- Convertible top: maintain and care - £60 inc VAT
- Tyre sealant is out of date - £60 inc VAT
- long-life guarantee condition report - Free of charge with service.

911TEL said:
AdeD said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
So, my beloved turbo is off for an OPC (stamps, think about the stamps) major when I get home next month.
It's coming up 6 years old (nearly 30k miles) so I believe it's PDK service time. Is it ok to request both transmission and clutch oil be replaced? And what's this I'm hearing about 'software upgrades'??
My PDK feels a bit lumpy sometimes but I wonder if that's because I jump from the wife's Macan GTS which has a super sharp and crisp (and new) PDK.
Thanks for any feedback :thumbs:

Yes i have my PDK oil done late last year. I would imagine they'll update the software as a matter of course, i'd ask anyway, it's worth doing. Get them to do a clutch re-alignment while it's in, that's most likely the cause of the lumpyness, once thats done it'll come back super smooth :thumb:

Ade,
My car is also due the PDK service as soon as I: home , was due in jan actually but it's tucked away until I'm back ....
I have been quoted 1200 of our GB pounds for the privilege....is that the going rate or should I ask another OPC for a quote .....?

Well , that rather large slice of 'humble pie' I have just swallowed tasted off.....
Seems my beast requires a PDK service AND a minor service ,hence the 1100/1200 price .......they need it for 2 days also as it ' might' take longer than planned ......

It sticks in your teeth that pie ...!!

@ 911TEL

Can i just confirm this ..

Minor service .. i checked our website and i make it £250 plus vat .. 997 turbo .
Pdk oil change .. about £250 i think was what people were saying ..

Is there anything else you are haveing done ..

I was thinking perhaps you were haveing some trim panels gold plated or something !

I thought the sump pan was 981 .. but even so if you do need it it still seems way too expensive to me.

I assume you have Porsche warrenty so have to use them ?

@ robbiej

Good grief young man .. i know you wasn't having a dig or anything .. im not brilliant at explaining things so i was just trying to clarify what i said as i thought i had got it wrong ..

I find the phone so much easier to communicate with than on here .. sigh .. im getting old i think !

RJKflyer said:
I had the 6-year service and MOT done on my 997.2 turbo, which came to £1,100 and included:

[labour]

(a) MOT
(b) Engine oil & filter
(c) Brake fluid change
(d) Air filter
(e) Drive belt
(f) Diff oil
(g)PDK clutch oil "PDK TRANS OIL 6.00 17.82 EACH"

Didn't seem unreasonable to me for a 200mph car.

That doesn't sound too terrible. Quite a bit going on there.

Was this with an Indy or OPC?

It's been a great thread, thanks for the input fellas :thumb:

Hi,

My 997.2 turbo has 32k miles on it now and is booked in for an OPC service this Thursday.

I asked about the PDK software update and was told; I have checked with the workshop and they have checked with PCGB and they have advised that there are no updates for your chassis for the PDK gear box.

Does anyone know if the software update was required as I would like to get it done at the same time if its beneficial? As i have requested the PDK service;

Fixed Price 10 Years - 100K Service Intermediate Maintenance M.Y 2010 1 £525.00
- Fixed Price - M.Y 2013 (Main Work)
90012310630 SEALING RING
99757121901 PARTICLE FILTER
10000000002 TOPUP/BAG
00004400204 WINDOW CLEANER OUTER
00004330521 ENGINE OIL
9A711549900 Sealing ring
0PB115466 Oil filter insert
00004321082 1 Litre Brake fluid
Drain and Refill Transmission Oil Plus
Add. Maintenance - Every 120KMiles / 180K Kms or every 12 Years 4(Composite Work) Front And RearWD Oil PDK Transmission CG1.50 1 £152.67
Cover Removed
00004330540 TRANSMISSION OIL FRONT-AXLE FINAL DRIVE
00004330513 TRANSMISSION OIL - PDK - TRANSMISSION
Replace Drive Belt / Air Filter
Cartridge / PDK Clutch Fluid / AWD

From memory it was offered if the customer said their PDK wasn't operating as well as they think it should, jerky etc. My indie did mine because they'd got hold of the update, didn't notice any difference.

I had my PDK clutch oil, and front diff oil changed by local indie last week for £430 inc VAT.
I read somewhere the pan change is only needed on some earlier cars where removing the drain bolt can damage the pan.
Cheers
Jon

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back