Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 early C2 - Ownership/project thread (cobalt blue)

Regards the x-pipe I had something fvery similar on my C4s albeit from Kline and it made the car sound so much better and give it a nice bark so Im hoping for the same.

Original wheels are called Sport Designs. Whilst I did like them I wanted something different and lighter, the Sport Designs are heavy and do suffer from corrosion.

The style and colour of the wheels really suit it, Graeme. Even more so with a little aero, I reckon. 8)

In prep for fitting the cats I thought I'd have a poke around at the bolts and not even going to attempt to undo bracket bolts so there all getting cut off.

Quick question regarding the manifold to cat bolts, the nuts have pretty much gone so I'm going to cut them where I can but of the nut is essential gone I should just be able to separate the cat front the manifold with a little persuasion, correct?

Think I've been sent wrong cats so just shows to check these things before starting a job.

coullstar said:
In prep for fitting the cats I thought I'd have a poke around at the bolts and not even going to attempt to undo bracket bolts so there all getting cut off.

Quick question regarding the manifold to cat bolts, the nuts have pretty much gone so I'm going to cut them where I can but of the nut is essential gone I should just be able to separate the cat front the manifold with a little persuasion, correct?

Think I've been sent wrong cats so just shows to check these things before starting a job.

I have just done this. Even though the nuts where heavily corroded, barely anything left, it was still a huge pain to remove them. I cut the studs as close the the flange as possible and then split the 2 faces.

I can only get into the lower bolts with my grinder cutting disc so have to figure out cutting other two. Think of getting that one done them try and get a saw inbetween the two flanges to cut the other two.

What did you do?

You can get an electric reciprocating saw from Screfix for about £35 at the moment. One of those with a metal cutting blade is what you need, and will also be useful for cutting out seized suspension parts/bolts.

Once you have cut off the bolts and removed the cat pipes, you'll notice the studs are pressed into the exhaust manifold flange. I managed to beat mine out with a hammer and a drift without distorting or damaging the remainder of the manifold. Once you're ready to reassemble, use stainless nuts & bolts. I used nylock nuts and thread locking compound to account for the nylon in the nylock nuts melting at high temperatures. Nothing has come loose in 2 years and 3000 miles. You can get the exact bolts you need from Ebay for very little. Also consider replacing the bolts in the exhaust pipe sheath clamps with stainless, as the standard ones rot in no time also.

The bolts are pressed into the Cat section not the manifold section from what I can see. Hence why I just need to cut the studs at the flange then the manifolds have the holes.

New manifolds come with gasket and bolts. Hoping to get it all off at the weekend.

You're dead right, sorry i mis-remembered how it came apart. I think my brain did me a service by forgetting a lot of it because of the trauma.

just a question unrelated to this thread

i had a 996, it was sunroof delete, is that common or rare?

coullstar said:
I can only get into the lower bolts with my grinder cutting disc so have to figure out cutting other two. Think of getting that one done them try and get a saw inbetween the two flanges to cut the other two.

What did you do?

My back boxes are off, so i have better access, I cut 2 off with a slitting disc on a grinder, got the third one with my recip saw, as suggested above.

Nice wheel choice, Coullstar :thumb:

Have you noticed any improvement in ride/handling/steering, having fitted such light wheels?

A little yes, still have winter tyres on so not pushing to much. To be fair the ones I took of were quite light so difference isn't a lot as compared to say the Sport designs.

Won't get near the exhaust this weekend but might get the side decals on.
Still getting dirty on the commute.

Attachments

• img_20180216_183916_214.jpg
    img_20180216_183916_214.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 6,235
  • img_20180216_183842_427.jpg
    img_20180216_183842_427.jpg
    599.4 KB · Views: 6,235
Little ***** is testing my patience. Seemingly running fine then spat some coolant on Thr on the way to work. Looks like its just reservoir cap so updated one ordered.
Going to remove aircon pump as I havent missed it at all so new non-aricon aux belt ordered plus the pulley/bearing sounds very noisy so best eliminate it now. I have a spare pump but going to try without and maybe condenser removal as well.
Rear brake backing plate came off making a horrendous noise so had to fix that then low coolant light starting flashing yesterday when I gave it full throttle away from a junction. To be fair it was on low so topped up and seems to have worked.

Looks like RMS is leaking as well so Ive got it booked in for clutch and RMS replacement. Going to get it borescoped for piece of mind as its still got very slight ticking when hot.

Just seems one little thing after another, easy fixes mind you.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back