Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

z3 or z4

squelch said:
Absolutely awesome cars and they garner attention often. An absolute hoot to drive! I think there's a couple of people on here who have Z3M Coupes.

Guilty......I have a black 1998 S50 M Coupe a great car. Owned since 2009 and has never skipped a beat. Keep it parked up on a charger for months on end and starts instantly. Only managed a few hundred miles a year in it over the last few (young kids) but would never sell it.

OP if you decide to go for one you will not regret it.

Robertb said:
I've always had a soft spot for the Alpina Roadster S. That 3.4 engine is a peach, and the suspension is tuned for actual roads. The last hand built Alpina too.

One of my good mates has one in grey with 7k miles on the clock. They came out well before the Z4m hit the market so where the most powerful Z4 option at the time.

Not a Coupe I know but I've owned a M Roadster for the last 12 years, the longest I have ever owned a car which is a testament to it. Its a 99T reg with 74K on the clock, and currently in storage. Unfortunately its not driven as often as I'd like but what an engine! It is a real peach, silky smooth straight 6 with a fantastic sound throughout the rev range, even more so when nearing the red line.

The handling isn't the best in cab form but no doubt the roof in the coupe will address some of the cab's shortfalls. Of course the handling could be addressed with various after-market parts / set-up but I like to keep my cars standard.

All of that power through the rear wheels allows you to have fun when the road and conditions allow. The lines of the bodywork and overall proportions are unique and something you rarely see on modern cars (supercars / hypercars excluded). Mine has the hardtop too which makes it take on a quirky dimension in the winter months when it is fitted.

Its been very reliable since I bought it with only having the usual consumables replaced; no issues with rust at all, even with it being my daily drive and living outside for the first 8 years of my ownership.

I have no experience of the Z4 variants but my experience of the M Roadster gives it a thumbs up from me :thumb:

Attachments

• img_1149_169.jpg
    img_1149_169.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 7,214
  • img00169_20110830_1844_edited_779.jpg
    img00169_20110830_1844_edited_779.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 7,214
thanks, looks a great car in blue

so the impression i am getting is z3m coupe and z4m coupe both great,

but the early gen 1 z3 coupe m with the s50 is probably the car where your money would be better off, high outlay, but rare car.

i would say a z4 m coupe looks a bit better, it seems better proportioned where the z3 has an 'all at the back type of look', like an e type jag coupe.

The gen 2 z3 coupe is the rarest / most valuable ie S54 engined as per the z4m and e46 M3 but in a more analogue car with unique looks.

Openroad said:
Not a Coupe I know but I've owned a M Roadster for the last 12 years, the longest I have ever owned a car which is a testament to it. Its a 99T reg with 74K on the clock, and currently in storage. Unfortunately its not driven as often as I'd like but what an engine! It is a real peach, silky smooth straight 6 with a fantastic sound throughout the rev range, even more so when nearing the red line.

The handling isn't the best in cab form but no doubt the roof in the coupe will address some of the cab's shortfalls. Of course the handling could be addressed with various after-market parts / set-up but I like to keep my cars standard.

All of that power through the rear wheels allows you to have fun when the road and conditions allow. The lines of the bodywork and overall proportions are unique and something you rarely see on modern cars (supercars / hypercars excluded). Mine has the hardtop too which makes it take on a quirky dimension in the winter months when it is fitted.

Its been very reliable since I bought it with only having the usual consumables replaced; no issues with rust at all, even with it being my daily drive and living outside for the first 8 years of my ownership.

I have no experience of the Z4 variants but my experience of the M Roadster gives it a thumbs up from me :thumb:

Classic estoril blue :thumb:

My S54 was Imola, one of only 4 in the world made in RHD

Both ///M only colours at the time

jonttt said:
The gen 2 z3 coupe is the rarest / most valuable ie S54 engined as per the z4m and e46 M3 but in a more analogue car with unique looks.

the prices contradict this, its top money for gen 1 s50 m coupe,

its how it seems to me looking at autotrader etc maybe i am wrong

You are wrong although there will be some overlap high miles S54 v low miles S50 and always some dealers trying it on but an S54 is always the rarer car with ultimately the better engine ie the S54 ///M engine is iconic

Indeed, an S54 would fetch more than its equivalent S50 counterpart (same mileage, spec and condition etc). Some people believe that the S50 will eventually become worth more (because it's the original) but it's not currently the case. Would the 996 Gen1 GT3 vs Gen2 be a similar example, who can say? I have an April 2002 S54 which was something like the third last RHD made, does that count for much, again who can say?

ok i take your word for it, but go on autotrader or similar and see the price of a gen 1 s50, low milers are 45k

is it because there are no s54 low milers about?

i will keep browsing

yes, i just looked under munich legends, only 168 rhd ever made,

i get what you are saying now

Palladium said:

The S54 are the rarer of the two but both are pretty rare. According to howmanyleft there are just over 500 in total (S50 and S54) remaining in the UK.

Palladium said:

I believe the true figure is 165 as there were three pre-production units that were counted twice.

Also bear in mind how many have been irreparably written off and the number gets smaller still....

Anyone care to share why BMW sold so few of these special :frustrated: cars :floor:

They have been a great investment for some though 8)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back