Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Thoughts on the E92 M3? Who has/had one?

ragpicker said:
ColinC said:
Nope - me too - owned E30, E36, E46 & E46 CSL which I traded in against an E92. Had ago in a M2 last year and didn't remind me of an E30 M3 at all - could just be my age!

I parked beside a 991 last year in the 993 and both owners were laughing at the differences in the two models - both for very different reasons I must add......

Hey Colin, I'm glad its not just me. I think you've saved me pursuing the M2 idea too :thumb:

Many people say the E30 was the 'greatest' M3, but in the 3-4 months I had it I just remember thinking that it didn't feel quick enough. The pick of the lineage for me is the E36evo. What a car that was, sublime chassis, not much in the way of driver aids, that engine.

The E46 had it for me in the looks department which is probably why I went back time and again to get another one. I actually preferred the SMG II box for track use, but round town it took a bit of getting used to.

The last E46 I had was silver with SMG. It ended up bent in half around a lamp post after I tried (and failed) to do a Chris Harris around a bend on a wet road, thinking I could modulate the throttle like I could in the dry... That was embarrassing :oops:

@Marty - No probs dude, just giving my opinion so you get a balanced view :thumb:

The balance of the E30 was a revelation for me coming from Fast Fords but your right it was under powered , especially compared to Cosworths and Impreza of the era.

I did over 60,000 miles in two years in the S50 engine - not a hint of trouble but in the end the high mileage became prohibitive.

For me the E46 CSL is the best variant, even with the SMG box - really came to life when pushing on. Only ran it for 10 months and will always regret selling....

Apologies Marty - good luck with the search. M5 E61 would be my choice.....

Senoj said:
I have one as a daily. Really enjoy it, 2 pipe mod just right for me , slightly lowered. Im a massive manual fan but i have the DCT and it suits the V8 wonderfully. Car has a load of character and is quick. 8400 in a V8 is quite a thing...end of the summer last year i ditched the conti for super sports which also seem to suit the car.

Base stereo is common and poor but there is an Alpine kit thats less than 400quid which brings it up to reasonable standard. I think EDC is a very nice option for daily unless you want to start modding...mpg is 21/22 ish mixed driving.

Had mine just over a year and prices seem to be holding up reasonably well.

E46 is a different thing and ive had a couple of those, it certainly wasnt a torque monster.. If you want a faiirly modern V8 sports coupe for reasonable money it has to be E92. Or even the four door.

Thanks for the input, Senoj.

@ Colin - No worries, glad to absorb any info that I can on the matter.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back