Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil over fill

Winklep

Chaps, I over filled my 996 C2 by about half a litre, just wanted to know if anyone had a quick and easy way to drain off the desired amount, I did try a pump down the dip stick tube without success, would removing the oil filter be the best way forward, just been serviced so the oil is brand new.

Park on a slope and try the oil evacuation pump again,the most accurate,quickest and cleanest method...

The oil pressure relief valve is another place that you can drain off some without the extreme flow of the drain plug, but I've pulled it up the dipstick tube with some tubing and a large syringe.

I wouldn't worry if its just half a litre!
Some of the track day boys overfill to that level any way.

kas750 said:
I wouldn't worry if its just half a litre!
Some of the track day boys overfill to that level any way.

Are you sure about that? I learned with my car that if I go to track with oil level topped up, it will smoke like chimney on startup due to oil expanding during run, overloading AOS and seeping down into intake. Recommendation from experts said to always run oil level mid stick for track events, and results in zero smoking.

I've always been told too much oil is actually worse that a little too low.

How do you know you overfilled it by half a litre?

Before I added the oil I was four bars down on the dash board measurement after investigating I am led to believe each bar equates to 125 ml, and I put a litre in so I am assuming 500ml over.

They dashboard gauge isn't accurate. Whats it showing now after engine is warm?

alex yates said:
They dashboard gauge isn't accurate. Whats it showing now after engine is warm?

my dashboard guage/sender unit is bloody accurate, it correlates with what the dip-stick says almost exactly, but only at the correct temperature obviously. Maybe having a new one fitted helped.

Tried the suggested lifting the front and the dipstick pump, dipstick now spot on and dash measurement one bar under.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back