Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

new tyres vs new shocks vs ?

Pancobalt: To answer your question, no I did not experience a hard ride when the front end was floaty,and before the Centre gravity work. It was fine at motorway speeds and below, just a little loose at higher speeds and making me not confident to push.
Once adjusted I got that connection with the road confidence back. Hope you get sorted, but I agree, new rubber all round first would be the way to go before having the geometry work done. :thumb:

Thank you porschekit. And thank you to all. Your kind advice and wisdom is much appreciated.

Rears are 4 years old. The vendor replaced them for me when i bought the car in feb 2015. So they have been on the car for 3 years. I recall the date stamp on the rears being xx14.

6mm tread left and no perishing on rears.

As for the fronts, they are very old. Maybe 2012 , cant remember and the car is not with me at present.

Anyway im getting x 2 new front michelin ps2's next week for sure. I have also taken the decision to refit my old front shocks as they look and feel ok on the bench . If they were leaking i would defo replace them.

Will keep you all updated . On my journey through the school of 997 handling f*ckness, i have learnt ( the hard way )

1. Check tyre pressures weekly.
2. Check condition of tyres.
3. Then launch into removing the suspension !

:sad:

So today , both june 2013 knackered michelin ps2 front tyres replaced with brand new august 2017 m ps2.

Massive improvement in handling, drive and feel . 2 weeks to bed 'em in then its full geometry at the end of the month.

Thank you all again for all your advice and kind help.

pancobalt said:
Rears are 4 years old. The vendor replaced them for me when i bought the car in feb 2015. So they have been on the car for 3 years. I recall the date stamp on the rears being xx14.

6mm tread left and no perishing on rears

:sad:

You've had a 911 three years and still have 6mm on the rears!!!
:eek: :eek:

You've had a 911 three years and still have 6mm on the rears!!!
:eek: :eek:[/quote]

Yes , only done 8000 miles in 3 yrs and no track days

My car had full geometry today and wow what a massive improvement in handling. Before and after measurements showed the rear camber was way way out.

All tie rods , coffin arms , drive shafts etc inspected and given the all clear.

:)

Non sport comfort setting gives a nice smoothe soft ride , just as i like and need it through the poor surfaced local roads.

So to recap, new front tyres fitted (pressures checked weekly ), new front top mount fitted and today's geo, and my car handles like its on rails again !

Thank you all for your prior help and advice :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back