Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Centre console repaint and heated seat switch relocate

MisterCorn

I removed the standard CD holder in my C2 some time ago and replaced with the GT3 delete panel. Since then I have not had access to my heated seat switched. As I don't currently have heated seats fitted it isn't an issue, but I wanted to refit them for the future. My plan was to relocate these to the two rear switch blanks in the centre console, whilst the console was out it would be painted.

I covered this last week on another thread, but for completely I'll quickly go over it again here.

Lift up the gear lever gaitor, it is just attached with four clips. This reveals the front screw which must be removed.

If the gear lever is held on my by a hex bolt you can remove it, it makes removal of the console a bit easier. I didn't bother.

Open the ashtray and pull up on the lid to remove it.

Undo the two screws under here and then pull out the switch panel

Undo the screw under the switch panel.

Remove the side cover for the handbrake lever. This pulls outwards and the top, then lifts up from the bottom.

Open the center compartment compartment lid and remove the rubber cover in the bottom.

Undo the screw at the back of here and remove the plastic tray. Undo the screw underneath the tray.

Remove the coin holder. This is held in place with a small plastic tab. If you reach in through the hole where the handbrake side cover was you can release it with you finger. It is shown in the second picture at the top.

Alternatively you can put something down the back of the coin holder and lever the clip out, this risks damaging the console though.

The console can then be removed.

These are the wires I had to extend.

I marked them up with marker pen, putting either a single line or two lines on each one so that I could identify the ones for the different connectors. I then cut the wires at staggered lengths over about 6cm so that the joints would not all line up together.

I then measured the distance I needed to extend them by and added on the extension pieces. As with all solder joints, it should be a decent mechanical connection first, then soldered. Heatshrink applied to the joints. The original loom uses 0.5mm wire, I used the same. There is no significant current through these wires, that is handled by the control box.

New loom then wrapped up in loom tape.

The wires for the window pass under the carpet beneath the shifter mechanism and then under the airbag controller. To enable me to pull these through I removed the nuts which hold down the shift mechanism to move it out of the way, then threaded a fat wire through where I want the new loom to fit.

The new loom was then taped to the wire and pulled through. Then the wires joined, taped, and pulled back to the correct place.

Moving on to the centre console, the only part which needs the right order to dismantle is the lid for the cubby hole.
Remove all the leather panels by pulling them off from the clips. Remove the lock by undoing the three screws which hold it in place.

The cover for the lid is removed by undoing a whole load of small screws underneath, then sliding it forwards to release it.

This reveals the hinge, check strap, and spring.

Undo the two screws and remove the cover, the lid can then be removed.

Undo the four screws which hold the black rear section to the main centre console, the two parts can then be separated and the clips removed.
The ashtray lid is removed from the ashtray by bending the sides out, be careful of the spring.

When that lot is done you have a pile of parts ready to paint.

There are four parts to paint. Main console, handbrake cover, switch panel, ashtray lid, plus the front cover piece if doing the GT3 conversion.

All parts were washed and rubbed down with 200 grade wet and dry to get the textured finish off the surface. Then washed again and cleaned with IPA then with a tack cloth just before painting with plastic primer.

After a few coats of primer the parts were flattened with 800 grade wet and dry, then 3 coats of top coat and 3 of lacquer were applied.

I didn't polish the surface after I had finished as it looked OK to me, a lot better than it did before. Total cost was about £20 for the rattle can of paint and lacquer, plus a tin of plastic primer.
Refitting is just the opposite  If you have the GT3 centre console delete make sure you put that back first...

MC

MC looks good for a DIY job nice one :thumb:

Nice write up.

Many years ago I bought a centre console to paint. I thought it would be a good idea to try paint stripper on it to get it back to bare plastic.. Well the plastic ended up reacting and looking like that guy off Robocop who falls into the vat of acid.

Wish i'd just flatted and painted over the original finish :roll:

ragpicker said:
...Well the plastic ended up reacting and looking like that guy off Robocop who falls into the vat of acid.

Murphy said:
Dead or alive, you're coming with me!

shoot.gif

:grin:

Great write up and pics.

My console is already colour coded but needs a refresh after 15 years might just give this a go myself.

Your results look impressive and it really lifts the interior.

:thumb: :thumb:

Love reading posts like this.

Great right up m8. :thumb:

Osh

There's a coin holder?! It's like receiving a free gift! I must check and see if there are any coins in mine left behindd by the previous owner! :dance:

Nice paint job. It is on my contemplation list...

I'm still going through my old projects and turning them in to videos, this one is now online here:

MC

Martin, do all 996 have the heated seat wiring in place?

I'm trying to release the coin holder atm and found this post.

Managed to release the coin holder by putting a smaller blade screwdriver between the console and the holder carefully and It just popped off. Easy when you know how.

Removed all the screws, but it's still not coming out. Gets stuck between the centre unit. So I proceed to remove the side panels and then the centre unit, as if doing the delete.

The centre console still gets stuck. Looks like I need to remove the metal bracket or loosen off the handbrake.

Anyone offer any ideas before I tear into it more?

You don't need to undo the handbrake bracket. Have you disconnected the wiring from the lid switch?

MC

MisterCorn said:
You don't need to undo the handbrake bracket. Have you disconnected the wiring from the lid switch?

MC

Lid switch? Didn't know there was one. I'll take a look again.

Thanks Martin

Found some non-factory wires that go into the dash. I think I may have found a tracker or similar. Would explain the current draw.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back