Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky's 996 ownership thread.

Hah! I actually just had a look on Teile.com and found what I think to be the correct ones for my car (that blue), for £4,200 the pair:

https://teile.com/en/porsche-tequip...ropol-blue-with-embossed-Porsche-crest-R/3121

Although I presume I'd need all the mounting hardware etc.

I'm hopeful that it'd look less like the car should have 16 degrees of negative camber and I should be wearing a helmet painted like an energy drink can if they're the same colour as the rest of the interior.

This is a great read. I love these technical posts. Far better than the usual my tyres are flat but only at the bottom, what can I do? Nothing seems to phase you even though the problems keep mounting. Keep it up, brilliant :worship:

Thanks KAS, I wish I was at the stage you're at with the 914. :wink:

Raggy, good guess.
They're Maltese. Two brothers, 1.5 years old. Alfie on the left is more of a proper Maltese if that makes sense. Soft, floppy, hairy coat and he prances about like something from Crufts.

Charlie on the right has a fluffier coat and bounces everywhere like a spring lamb. He's crackers.
Ironically they both look identical when you bath them and their coats are wet.
First time we've had two dogs together and it's all we'd do now. They keep each other entertained and are great fun to watch ambushing each other.

My wife went out to buy one dog. They were the last two left though and she couldn't bear to split them up. I came home expecting one Shitzu but we had two Maltese.
We had a Shitzu last time. Bailey. He was the coolest little dog I've ever known. Lost him to cancer in March '16.

You a dog lover then? And that's dog, not dogging.... :D

Anyway, back on topic.

Marty and Jay, thanks for the comments. Nice to know people are reading and yes get your own threads up. The more the merrier. :thumb:

Chicb - Thanks very much. Us petrolheads don't get phased by much do we? The bills aren't nice but there's no cheap way to run these cars, not properly. I've been into 911s since I was 25 and I'm 40 now. You may get a cheap year or two sometimes, but things will need addressing at some point.
Obviously the box issue could have been avoided but what's to say if I'd rejected the car and bought a different one, that that one wouldn't have started to whine in a years time? Onwards and upwards as they say. :wink:

Dammit - I think you'll end up going down the bucket route sooner or later.
Probably sooner because as has been said, to get the drop you want would involve leaving very little seat padding present on the sports seats.
If you can warrant the expense of genuine buckets then it's the only way really. Plus it's in the OEM ethos of your project.
I couldn't possibly blow £4k on 2 seats, but better you do that than paying almost that for second hand ones, no offence to HSC obviously, but if you can get them in the matching colour too, that's perfect.

I paid £750 for my Carbon fibre copy ones 2nd hand and I'll be spending the same again to have them re-trimmed in matching grey leather. That will do me for a while.
I also have to decide between using the rails they came with which I think are lower than stock, or transfer my sports seat rails over, a touch higher maybe, but probably more confidence inspiring in design.
I'll bolt the aftermarket ones in first and if they feel substantial enough once bolted down, I'll go with them for a while.

Hand polishing the GT3 rims

That's been the order of the day today and like many a man who has trodden this path before me..

I give up. :grin:

First job is to disassemble the wheels into their two parts, rim and barrel.
As mentioned this went smoothly with not a single stripped or snapped bolt and as a bonus, the bolts are like new.

You need one of these. M8 triple hex piece. I paid £8 for the whole set. -

Remove all bolts and separate centre from rim. This needs a tap with a rubber mallet or block of wood and mallet.

I split all 4 but began with the easiest rim, which is the one I'd already sanded through at work. I could only get so far into the centre though when it was built up.

Splitting them now enabled me to sand further in, so I could now sand over the edge and down to the lip you can see about quarter of the way down.

After that I began refining with the different sandpapers, working from grade 240 up to 2500.
Boring, long, mundane task.

Gather your supplies. (Fruit-tella are optional).

After the sanding I used the polishing mops and bars on my drill.

The 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock section of this wheel is done.

It's ok but not as "mirrored" as I'd like and I'd be on for days getting the rest like that. Plus being honest there are one or two faint scratches still just visible at certain angles, so I'd need to go back to the refining stage and start again. So that's when I gave up. :D

So what I've now done is sand through the rim on each wheel to check for any filler that may have been masking kerb damage. There is none. The rims are perfect.
So now I'll choose between a polishing firm to mirror polish them or I'll take them to the local wheel guy and have them diamond cut. Polishing takes less material off and gives a mirrored show car finish, but diamond cutting (turning on a lathe) will no doubt be quicker, hence cost less and to be honest it is the correct factory finish, if I want to be all fussy about keeping things right.
I'll ring both places checking out prices and timescales and pick one.

So the other 3 wheels currently look like this.

I hate to be a quitter but life's too short for some things, so I'd rather crack on with some housey jobs so when the car comes back I can press on.

So that will be it for this week..... Au reservoir. :D

Marky911 said:
Anyway nearside arch ground back -

Top mount area ground back -

So the simplest form of attack is a rust neutraliser/killer, rust inhibiting primer, then a good thick top coat.

Ok, so various bits primed. You need to do this very soon after treating otherwise any moisture will render your work pointless -

Marky, thanks for inspiration :thumb:

Just been changing front bumper to GT3 (cleaned rads and fitted mesh while in there) and while I had the car jacked up, thought I'd pull out those wheel-arch liners.

My arches were nowhere near as bad (2002 car, less salt on roads in Devon),
but I'm definitely glad I looked.....they were starting to go, because of the unprotected areas being subject to gravel-rash:

Used Bilt-Hamber Hyrdrate80 and an anti-stone-chip coating (in black, as you did). Also anti-stone-chipped the tiny metal lips in the arches, for same reason.

Very satisfying to know they're good for some years yet. :angel:

Good work EG. :thumb:

Like you say it's nice knowing you've been in and nipped it in the bud early.

Hurray! The car is back home. Gearbox guy had the box for 11 weeks. :grin:
Very happy with the price though and it's perfect now, no more whining.

So Craig and I made the trip down to Jamie's yesterday morning. He'd had a big push to get it done for me and like the gearbox price, Jamie has really done me a favour costs wise. Car is looking a bit dusty and sorry for itself but no big deal. Jamie was going to wash it but it was going to get filthy on the 70 mile trip home. -

A couple of loose ends to report on before I tie up this round of work -

I opted for a new standard bush for the box, before it went in.

Gearbox guy fitted it along with everything else. The box was stripped, inspected and any necessary parts replaced. Basically every bearing and seal, including the diff taper bearings. Thanks for the heads-up on those Rich. :thumb:
Box of old bits here. -

One other fault that Jamie spotted is below. Can you see what it is camouflaging itself? -

Cleaned off.
Plug not fitted properly. Has been weeping oil for who knows how long. -

Removed -

New one installed -

So that's about it. Car dropped off last October and just collected yesterday. I don't mind though as it would be off the road anyway, it frees up my garage and Jamie always does me a great deal as he can do it as and when.

The stamp for the service which was for 2017 has filled the original service book. 18 stamps and the car was 19 years old last year, so one is missing. :roll:
It turns out the last owner didn't get it done in 2014.
The car only covered 3400 miles between '13 and '15 but still, it should have had a minor service for the stamp. That's going to play with my OCD. :grin:

So anyway, I have a new book (In the background) to start next time. -

So now it's time to think about bodywork and aerokit etc. I want everything done by May, which sounds easy but there's a lot to do to get the car how I want, including caliper refurb, strip and paint rear arches.
Plus Craig's Ohlins are due any day now, so we'll be doing that first as well as some fences and prep work for the guys to get started on my back garden. Busy busy.

My split rim refurb turned into a bit of a nightmare with the diamond cutting.
Situation resolved now though so they are ready for tyres and will go on last.

Anyway, boring update but it rounds off the mechanicals. :thumb:

Glad to hear the wheel situation is sorted - I know what you mean when you say it's going to be a struggle to get everything done in that period, it always takes longer than you think.

Yep, all sorted thankfully Neil. Always happens to me.

When is yours due back?

Now that's a good question, things started off very well with updates being emailed over, then there was nothing for a week, a couple of my emails went unanswered and now I don't know what's happening, other than the painter wasn't happy with it so wanted to redo something- don't know what he wanted to redo, or how long its going to take him.

Roof and seats can't be done until the painter releases the car, and the roof guy doesn't know when that's likely to happen, so right now - in limbo.

Ah right, I'd read about the painter wanting to perfect a few things. That's a good sign though. At least they're not one of those places that waits until you spot it. :wink:

I'm sure it will all fall into place. I look forward to seeing it done. It will boost my efforts on mine. :thumb:

Cheers C, glad I can get stuck in now.

I've just seen your new wheels. Nice. 8)

Definitely the last mention of this round of work, but I'd forgotten to stick it in. I mentioned it in Wasz' thread though so will record it here.

When Jamie removed my tensioners one of them didn't have much resistance as he undone it, so he had a look once it was out and found this.
Good one on left, mine on right.

Porsche have changed the design of these now and the new ones are only compatible with newer style tensioner pads, which can only be fitted during a rebuild. Luckily Jamie had an original style one in his spares.

I didn't think it would make any difference to anything but guess what?
No more chain rattle on cold starts! I was never bothered by this as some cars do it, some don't but anyway it's gone.

Next update will be a fresh project, I promise. :wink:

Great stuff and no need to apologise; it's all very interesting! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back