Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

One mans obsession with dirt.....or lack of it...

ragpicker said:
Seriously impressive!

Which soda blaster do you use? Been thinking of getting one for a while now, you may have just tipped me over the edge!

+ 1
You've set the Barr now !!
I'm defo up for trying to get mine like this :)

Nice work. I'd love to do that but.. A. I'd never want to drive it B. The dream crusher would divorce me.

Wow wow wow :eek:

Have thought about using a steam cleaner to do the underside of mine.....
What the advantage of the Soda blaster?!! Dose it result in media/dirt all over the place? And is it safe on all finishes/paint?.... (not thinking about the bodywork!)

WOW! Looks amazing!

Inadvertently, I think your post has answered a question I couldn't get an answer to... thank you! I was trying to find out the length of the rear drop links and yours look exactly the same as the ones I have. Thanks again.

Mark
You need help :eek: believe therapy in the form of more Trackdays could help you with this obsession

:lol:

It is messy as I mentioned, but pretty safe to use on most things, although it does dull paint finish and will go through eventually, but its great getting gunge and caked on crap off, especially in those areas you cant reach into. Buts shedloads of fine white dust EVERYWHERE.....

Cunno, I took BaT platinum membership this year and have 25 track days booked, so this clean will probably have to last all year.....First one this weekend at donnington.....although not in the GT3...( I am using a Caterham for this season......The GT3 will be doing the italian trip this year though with BaT)

Wow, this looks amazing Mark! Did you manage to access everything in situ - if so the results are even more amazing!

I 'was' intending to share some pictures of my exhaust replacement, which has turned into a mini clean up. I've replaced the drop links, arb bushes and heat shields. I have also painted the cross-braces whilst generally cleaneing everything with degreaser, brushes and elbow work. I'm limited to what I can access under axle stands however

I was quite proud of my efforts until I read this ha!

Nice work :)

Matt

I couldn't see the original photos in the OP, but I've gone to the MSB link and it looks impressive.

However it looks like it remove the surface coating (e.g. paint) as well as contaminants. Is this correct, or is there a way you can moderate it so it takes off only the dirt/oil?

Hi, it's pretty easy to regulate the flow rate and its also not really very fierce, so its no problem ....I did not damage one bit of paintwork on mine.....

Another useful product I use is 'ALTRANS'.

Product Description
ALT60W Deb Altrans Janitol 5L

Product Features
Powerful, dissolves rust stains, limescale and helps prevent corrosion
Contains a blend of phosphoric and citric acids for optimum performance
Improves the look of stainless steel surfaces
Can be used for cleaning concrete and descaling pressure washers
Easy rinsing formulation helps ensure no residue is left on the surface
Supplied in 5 litre.

It removes oxidisation in such an effective way from Aluminum and light rust form steel.

Put it pin with a paint brush and leave it or agitate it with either a brass brush depending on oxidisation.

Rinse off and your done.

For F***s sake don't get it in your eyes and wear gloves.

Brilliant stuff and saves years of hard work.
:thumbs:

OK, so the old girl is up at Fearnsport, first drive of the year on a lovely sunny Saturday early morning, and I left her in Matt's capable hands......

Fast forward a week or so and the engine is out, while my soda blasting has made a lovely job of the underneath, not so much the upper side, which sheltered from the rinsing, has layers of caked on soda and dirt. Matt has his work cut out getting all the crap off......

So enough of the nastiness and dirt, onwards to the result of the clean up........

Apologies for the picture whoring, but I happen to think you cant get enough of pictures of a Mezger GT3 engine being worked on .......

All the hose connections are now welded, new hoses fitted, water pump replaced, new heat exchanger and oil temp sensor ( parts lifed and replaced for sense while engine out)

Decision time tomorrow as to which clutch and flywheel gets put back in....options are the lightweight single mass version and the 4.0 l RS clutch....or standard. also need to look at the LSD.....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back