Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Performance Driving Books

Steve997

I m new to Porsche and performance driving but plenty of track / fast road experience on 2 wheels so not a completely numpty behind the wheel.

Looking at doing some driver training with CAT or the Porsche Experience at Silverstone.

Just hungry for information and to understand what makes a car stable and quick down a nice stretch of road.

Any books worth a read or DVD / Youtube videos people can recommend ?

Looking to do some home work before attending a training event in coming months.

Thanks for any recommendations

:thumb:

Driver 61

https://driver61.com/uni/

Scott is the man, well presented insights into understanding your car and going fast.

Can also highly recommend Colin and CAT driver training as a great starting point.

Michael Krums book is also excellent

I have gained a lot from 'Reg Local' YouTube videos, so much I also bought his book.

It's more focussed on road skills though.

I'm hoping to some training with my local TIPEC group this year. Please share your thoughts on CAT afterwards.

James M-S said:
I have gained a lot from 'Reg Local' YouTube videos, so much I also bought his book.

It's more focussed on road skills though.

I'm hoping to some training with my local TIPEC group this year. Please share your thoughts on CAT afterwards.

I`ve just watched the first few videos from "Reg Local", very interesting to learn some new things that are not track orientated, thanks for posting that :thumb:

Thanks lads some great info. Really appreciate the help.

Is the Michael Krums titled driving on the edge ? Is it dedicated to race / track driving or is it also relevant to fast road driving ?

Yes, driving on the edge....

Obviously you wont be driving on the edge on the road a lot of the time, but the theory and lessons all apply to understanding and mastering the control of the car.

I think a mistake a lot of people make is to think "I dont need to know how do that, I wont be going on the race track track, or driving like Schuey" then when the back end comes round unexpectedly or they start understeering off the road, they dont know what to do.......

CATDT said:
Hi Steve

I'm now back from holiday and nearly caught up. I will be focusing on the car club days by the end of the week so will be in touch to let you know on that. If you haven't found this from our website, here are our recommendations on reading material:

http://catdrivertraining.co.uk/about-us/colins-blog/books-dvds/books/

KR
Jo

Thanks Jo.

Which book do you recommend for some one wanting to get a better understanding of what effects a cars handling and the basic driving techniques for fast road driving on twisty A roads, purely for pleasure.

Steve997 said:
CATDT said:
Hi Steve

I'm now back from holiday and nearly caught up. I will be focusing on the car club days by the end of the week so will be in touch to let you know on that. If you haven't found this from our website, here are our recommendations on reading material:

http://catdrivertraining.co.uk/about-us/colins-blog/books-dvds/books/

KR
Jo

Thanks Jo.

Which book do you recommend for some one wanting to get a better understanding of what effects a cars handling and the basic driving techniques for fast road driving on twisty A roads, purely for pleasure.

Roadcraft should be your starting point Steve - it is the foundation stone for safe progress on the public highway .... read this first, digest and understand, then talk with Colin in more detail on the club day in April :thumb:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roadcraft-...1687&linkCode=as2&redirect=true&tag=cadrtr-21

KR
Jo

Cheers Jo

Think I have an old copy of Road craft hiding away some where from my IAM days. I'll dig it our and have a read

Have a good Sunday :thumb:

Steve997 said:
Cheers Jo

Think I have an old copy of Road craft hiding away some where from my IAM days. I'll dig it our and have a read

Have a good Sunday :thumb:

Fab - you're onto a good start with your IAM past knowledge too then :thumb:

Just at work helping set up for a Drifting & Over Grip Limit Handling Course - I shall be back chillaxing at home soon .... Colin meanwhile will be enjoying the sunshine on this chilly day :lol:

KR
Jo

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back