Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 strange noise when turning steering wheel???

t20lle

Hi guys,

Just bought a 996 C4 on an 04/53plate-106k but loads of history and nice condition for age. The car drives well, tyres, brakes all tip top and as I say the previous owners have spent the monies! I have a strange noise as the steering column is turned and is coming from the front end of the car. It's not a clunk and hard to describe-just a wired noise that I can't explain. Anyone's help or guidance what to check for appreciated!

No but I will do thank you. Just opened the oil filler cap though and there's a bit of mayo in there which is a tad more alarming. My mate is going to drop the oil and check the filter. Coolant all clear so hopefully all ok!

A tad of mayo is no big deal; just condensation.

Give it an Italian tune-up (a good thrashing :D ) on a good, long drive and it should clear. :thumb:

Thank you chaps for the replies and yes I'm sure the mayo will be fine. I'll try and record it and e mail you in the next few days-appreciate your assistance!

Could be the top mount bearings. When worn you will ge5 a sort of creaking noise when turning.

Yeah possibly-only drove it round the block as was a trade in at work and on first inspection worth buying-I'll get one the boys to look at that too-thanks for your response👍🏻

Thank you for your reassurance-bought it just as a weekend Nurburgring trip car etc but obviously wouldn't want to be into engine rebuild. I'm on the thinking if anything was going to have gone wrong would have by now and pretty much bar 2 stamps FPSH. I have a 997 too which is and is a fantastic car and bought it after going through a rough spot in my life. I rarely use it through winter but thought this car could be an all rounder-spirited drive in the old girl but at the same time knowing her limits! Appreciate your feed back and I know a lot of you are really knowledgable on this front!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back