Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which OPC for a 6 year service. Silverstone v Reading..?

squelch

My 997 GTS is due its 6 year service in March and it's under warranty so I'll be going to an OPC. I'm looking at Silverstone and Reading and wondered if anyone has had any experience of either of them?

There are pro's and cons with each:

Reading: My car was supplied by Reading and has always been serviced there, and I have all invoices including the original sales invoice when new - so the OCD in me thinks it would be nice to have all the same stamps / invoices. BUT Reading does not subscribe to the fixed / reduced pricing and it's over £300 dearer.

Silverstone - A vague plus is that it's a far more enjoyable run there and back. Sadly though, I've just read on a FB page that Silverstone's service dept leaves a lot to be desired which has worried me (they didn't go into detail). AND Silverstone is a Sytner dealership and I'm loathe to give Sytner any more money (having experienced their terrible BMW service for many years).

Anyone's views would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :thumb:

Easy one:

squelch said:
Reading: My car was supplied by Reading and has always been serviced there, and I have all invoices including the original sales invoice when new - so the OCD in me thinks it would be nice to have all the same stamps / invoices. BUT Reading does not subscribe to the fixed / reduced pricing and it's over £300 dearer.

See if they price match another OPC :dont know:

Worth a call and ask.

squelch said:
Silverstone - A vague plus is that it's a far more enjoyable run there and back. Sadly though, I've just read on a FB page that Silverstone's service dept leaves a lot to be desired which has worried me (they didn't go into detail). AND Silverstone is a Sytner dealership and I'm loathe to give Sytner any more money (having experienced their terrible BMW service for many years).

Once you've done the service at Reading, drive to Silverstone, have a cup of their coffee, do a 'Pretty Woman' and drive back home...Happy days :grin:

:thumb:

I have the same consideration this year, as mine has a single dealer history (Tonbridge).

However, I think I would happily set aside my own OCD for the sake of £300 for the same stamp in the book, and contact 3-4 OPC's to price up the 6 year service, and one will be Sytner owned who matched an Indy price before.

My closest will probably not be one of them though..

Graemep said:
........ and one will be Sytner owned who matched an Indy price before.

My closest OPC price matched an indy for my 6 yr service. If you don't ask and all that.

maph said:
Graemep said:

My closest OPC price matched an indy for my 6 yr service. If you don't ask and all that.

OPC matching an Indy?!? Which OPC was that?

I did ask Reading if they'd be able to price match Silverstone and she fairly bluntly said... "No". I dread to think what she'd say if I asked to price match an Indy!

Based on recent experience, a 96k mile service at Reading was not a lot more than it ended up costing at my Indy.

The OPCs work on book time, whereas the indy's work is on the meter if things over-run, e g stuck bolts etc.

squelch said:
maph said:
Graemep said:

OPC matching an Indy?!? Which OPC was that?

PM sent

Seems odd that Reading have fixed price servicing on their website and don't offer it.

Magic919 said:
Seems odd that Reading have fixed price servicing on their website and don't offer it.
Hmm the plot thickens - I hadn't seen that! Although it does state "This fixed price servicing offer may be withdrawn by Porsche Centre Reading at any time".

I asked about the fixed price servicing when I spoke to Reading and I was told that they do not subscribe to it, hence I asked if they would be able to price match and was firmly told, no.

With inconsistencies like this it's no wonder people get frustrated with the main dealer network!

I may pop in there for a chat....

My experience of Reading was unbelievably bad and I will have nothing to do with them ever again, when it comes to arrogance, Donald Trump (that bloke in the white house) is an amateur compared to this lot.

If you wish to use them you should document the condition of your car inside and out very very thoroughly prior to letting them loose on it and check it thoroughly before leaving their site.

Have you considered West Byfleet OPC (Brooklands)? I live nr reading and used to use the OPC there, but switched to West Byfleet.

Gottans said:
My experience of Reading was unbelievably bad and I will have nothing to do with them ever again, when it comes to arrogance, Donald 911uk (that bloke in the white house) is an amateur compared to this lot.

If you wish to use them you should document the condition of your car inside and out very very thoroughly prior to letting them loose on it and check it thoroughly before leaving their site.

Wow, that doesn't sound good! Did they damage your car then? I sometimes wonder if I'm being too precious but then when I hear things like this it worries the cr*p out of me!

Quite honestly I don't want to go into details but I naively assumed my car would be treated with care and respect when it was serviced, these people do not know what these words mean.

Porsche Reading is owned by Porsche and is the head quarters for this country .

https://www.porsche.com/uk/aboutporsche/n71/

Strange they expect other Porsche centers to have fixed price that are NOT owned by porsche when Porsche them selves wont do it at their head quarters !!!

@ Gottans

Ive herd you mention your troubles a few times but ive not seen any details .. is there a thread about it or could you pm me some details if you dont mind .

No reason other than to read up on bad practises .

I think that the fact that a list of participating centres is not available on the website speaks volumes and smacks of the 'do as I say not as I do' attitude.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back