Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ceramic coating ???

I am a bit of a hobbyist detailer, and follow some interesting youtubers

In short its all in the prep for the best results! serious prep! a deep clean of the car and a minimum a clay bar all over! but really if going this route the paint needs correcting for the best results as ceramic coatings don't have any fillers in like wax! or these hybrid polishes.

I have used from http://carboncollective.com/

The wheel coating and glass coating so far both very easy to apply and affordable. My wheels where done over 12month back now and still perform like i applied yesterday and the glass coating is a 10min job and really makes a huge difference..

I plan this spring to go all in and have for xmas sitting and waiting the trim coating and paint coating.. I plan on detailing the paint first to remove swirl marks.

Its a very different approach to wax but done right really means maintenance washes will make the car look like you've detailed it for hrs rather then a 30min wash and towel dry .

James M-S said:
I got a 2stage machine polish and gtechniq c1 & exo applied by my (non-gtechniq-accredited) detailer for £500 18months ago. Still crazy beading and very quick to wash.
+1
same here - got 2-stage polish and C1/EXO by a non-accreditated Gtechniq detailer 44 months ago for £350 and it still beads like Day 1 (wheels done with C5). :lol:

Washes are very easy as the crud just slides off, and I top up every wash with C2v3 finishing spray.

My car is white, and the C1/EXO and C2v3 combination have left me with a shiny car which still looks like it has just come out of a showroom. Highly recommended. :thumb:

I've booked mine in to get the full correction and coating of SiRamik (Glass Coating) next month. I've had similar treatments on previous cars and in my view is money well spent. Unless you've done lots of detailing before and have the right equipment, the only way to go is professional. This is because you need the paint underneath the coating to be perfect, otherwise you are locking in imperfections. My detail is costing £1200 for light paint correction, SiRamik coating including wheels off and wheel arches cleaned. If you are keeping your car long term (longer than 2 or 3 years) I think the cost is actually reasonable. And as others have said, makes on-going washing and maintenance much easier.

Picked the C4s in this morning from dealer , in lovely condition but to a trained eye like mine I can see swirls all over , no probs looking forward to taking care of them , but how strange , on the way home I see a little sticker on the inside of the windscreen !!! Says Williama ceramic coat !!!!

So this cars at some point not too long ago had a ceramic coat done ,,
Yet like I say it's covered in swirls,? Which I thought it was supposed to not let happen :?:

Seems to me that they coated the swirls. It's all about the prep. At least a full day's worth.

I had my car ceramic coated by Feynlab who were the guys who invented it, and have struggled as their technology got ripped off (apparently). It's really helpful at keeping the car clean in a tough environment but it's not a miracle, and it still needs upkeep.

If you're seeing swirls having just collected it, from experience it's been washed and dried using unclean cloths. Many people will report how the dealers wash has left it worse than before you took it in for the work.

Get yourself a bag of micro fibre cloths give it a wash and clean down with the new clean cloths, see if the swirls are still there.

As others have already said, if the paint has not been prepped properly, then the swirls will still be seen after the ceramic coating is applied.

Likewise, if the paint has been properly corrected and then ceramic coated, if it is washed with a sponge in dirty/gritty water then the ceramic coating will be become damaged and show swirling.

Ceramic is not a golden bullet, but does deliver a longer lasting finish than traditional waxes but still needs correct cleaning practices.

Rockunrolla said:
Picked the C4s in this morning from dealer , in lovely condition but to a trained eye like mine I can see swirls all over , no probs looking forward to taking care of them , but how strange , on the way home I see a little sticker on the inside of the windscreen !!! Says Williama ceramic coat !!!!

So this cars at some point not too long ago had a ceramic coat done ,,
Yet like I say it's covered in swirls,? Which I thought it was supposed to not let happen :?:

I had 2 cars done professionally with crystal serum, one of the toughest coatings from G techniq. Nothing is swirl resistant sadly. The paint got marred by a so called safe wash by a detailer! I have decided to stick with only either Exo or wax

. Well this is what I'm up against with a car that had a Williams F1 ceramic coat 18 months ago !!!

No way has anyone coated over the top of these !!
It's got to be in the ceramic
Dog *****

Attachments

• 08c21543_3433_45e3_8817_49d7d2e9a19e_353.jpeg
    08c21543_3433_45e3_8817_49d7d2e9a19e_353.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,319

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle