Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Where to re trim steering wheel?

asterix_the_gaul said:
Jack at royal steering wheels did mine just before Xmas and very pleased with it, but does anyone know if it's possible to get the airbag trimmed as well? It's a standard airbag not the leather one, I've seen it done in alacantra fabric but how does the airbag deployment work if you trim over the break points Of The airbag?

i would be interest in this as well, some shops seem to see that as a health and safety risk

Just found these guys who retrim airbags and garentee them to deploy correctly,
http://www.theseatsurgeons.co.uk/about-us/
had the h&s thing from a couple of places, I can see the point, but it's more risk avoidance if someone were to be injured and then they sued the retrimmer I think.

Could flock the airbag. I thought about it, bit it looks ok with the alcantara grip, most cars are like that anyway.

I will do this if the cable idea doesnt work. :thumbs:[/quote]

Don't forget that you will also need to drop the window slightly before disconnecting the battery so you will have to cover the gap as well, if you are leaving it disconnected for a week.

Thefinn said:
I will do this if the cable idea doesnt work. :thumbs:

Don't forget that you will also need to drop the window slightly before disconnecting the battery so you will have to cover the gap as well, if you are leaving it disconnected for a week.[/quote]

Don't be silly.

Just route it straight out the top by the wipers, shut the bonnet as normal.

sim996 said:
Thefinn said:

Don't forget that you will also need to drop the window slightly before disconnecting the battery so you will have to cover the gap as well, if you are leaving it disconnected for a week.

Don't be silly.

Just route it straight out the top by the wipers, shut the bonnet as normal.[/quote]

Maybe I should have explained better but you will need to drop the window first so that the door can open once the battery is disconnected, otherwise you won't get the door open as the window won't drop automatically or you could smash the window if you try. Therefore if you leave the car for a week with the battery disconnected you will have to leave the window partially open as well so the gap will have to be covered and protected against rain.

INWB said:
If you do it through Jack he will send the "new" wheel first so you just swap it over and send back the old one. Easy.

Cost -

£135 for the wheel
£90 for the gear lever and handbrake

Bargain imo as the cabin, with the pioneer sat nav looks really good. Will change the rest of the leather bits over time but not sure if Jack can do those.

:?: :?: :?:
Well I am confused as a confused man from stupid street now :eh!: I was emailing Jack at Royal , this week, to price a re trim of my blue 3 spoke wheel, no alterations just a re trim with the same colour of stitching and the price was almost £200 for the wheel alone

"The price would be 175GBP + 9.99P&P (Parcelforce next day recorded) and we would need 1-2 weeks to do so. "

Thefinn said:
sim996 said:
Thefinn said:

Don't be silly.

Just route it straight out the top by the wipers, shut the bonnet as normal.

Maybe I should have explained better but you will need to drop the window first so that the door can open once the battery is disconnected, otherwise you won't get the door open as the window won't drop automatically or you could smash the window if you try. Therefore if you leave the car for a week with the battery disconnected you will have to leave the window partially open as well so the gap will have to be covered and protected against rain.[/quote]

Thanks I wouldnt have thought about that....you saved me from smashing my windows!!

peterzoom said:
INWB said:
If you do it through Jack he will send the "new" wheel first so you just swap it over and send back the old one. Easy.

Cost -

£135 for the wheel

Bargain imo as the cabin, with the pioneer sat nav looks really good. Will change the rest of the leather bits over time but not sure if Jack can do those.

Well I am confused as a confused man from stupid street now :eh!: I was emailing Jack at Royal , this week, to price a re trim of my blue 3 spoke wheel, no alterations just a re trim with the same colour of stitching and the price was almost £200 for the wheel alone

"The price would be 175GBP + 9.99P&P (Parcelforce next day recorded) and we would need 1-2 weeks to do so. "

that seems very high from what I have read on the internet about prices from Royal Steering Wheels. On the plus side for me it seems that Im not paying that much more to go with Designls

peterzoom said:
INWB said:

Cost -

£135 for the wheel

I had the wheel done 18mths ago and the gear stick stuff this year. Perhaps he put his prices up?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephCafe
Back