Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 gt3 stereo upgrade

evodarren

I'm thinking of getting a Alpine ILX 702 apple car play headset with rear camera installed.has anyone else upgraded there stereo system.

evodarren said:
I'm thinking of getting a Alpine ILX 702 apple car play headset with rear camera installed.has anyone else upgraded there stereo system.

Yes I've removed it! Along with PCM, disc player, amp and speakers. 10kg weight lose and can now hear the engine without interruption :thumb:

I've got an Alpine CDE-178BT in the 996. Links to the iPhone via bluetooth for calls & music. It's also got a 64GB USB pen drive full of music in the glovebox which I've set to play on "random" so I haven't heard the same track twice all year.

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/CDE-178BT

I don't need anything more fancy & it works really well.

Cunno said:
evodarren said:

Yes I've removed it! Along with PCM, disc player, amp and speakers. 10kg weight lose and can now hear the engine without interruption :thumb:

Removed mine too a while back :D

How easy was it to remove the amp and speakers, might do that too this year :?:

Roro said:
Cunno said:
evodarren said:

Removed mine too a while back :D

How easy was it to remove the amp and speakers, might do that too this year :?:

Very easy they live in front trunk opposite side to brake fluid holder, amp and DVD holder for sat nav.
Speakers more tricky

Nice gt3 hi fi upgrade :thumb:

Attachments

• a226434f_5bb2_4ffb_b5da_53e2061bbda7_272.jpeg
    a226434f_5bb2_4ffb_b5da_53e2061bbda7_272.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 3,852
HSC911 said:
Senoj said:
Nice gt3 hi fi upgrade :thumb:

I was gonna say, do you even need a stereo in it :dont know:

:grin:

Depends. Personally I wouldn't be without a stereo as getting to circuits (particularly on the continent) and general road use can involve long motorway schleps at constant sensible speeds (sometimes GATSO alleys, sometimes gummed up with traffic). Same with cruise control.

It is one thing if it is a pure track toy, but part of the real value of a GT3 is metaphorically having your cake and eating it, and for when you are doing normal road use those sort of things are nice to have. They do of course have an off button for back roads and circuits :thumb:

Im kidding of course but a 'nice" stereo in a GT3 is kinda of difficult because its so noisy to begin with. The tyre roar alone will kill off most of any advantage of improved fidelity.

As the noise floor rises the dynamic range decreases and unless you have some absolute mega watts in there it will be very tough to improve on standard . Gen2 cars had 'sound pack" or something which helped but it has to be really loud to notice.

Removing the PCM and putting in that cubby shelf is one of the best mods I've done to my car. I guess you're either a stereo-while-you-drive person or you're not. I never used the stereo in my GT3 (or if I did it was so rarely that I can barely remember ever using it), the only thing I ever used was the satnav which was just left on maps. But then even that became pointless over the years as I was always using my mobile for directions. I've found that since removing it I'm able to focus more on interacting with the car, and without distractions from the ICE I'm left purely in my own thoughts - my GT3 is where I go to escape the rest of the world. I've done a fair few long trips and haven't found lack of stereo a problem, but not everyone is the same and it's obviously personal preference like any mod. If I'm going away with the missus we'll chuck the Bose soundlink in the back if we feel like it

The thing I've never got my head around as well is how having the shelf in place of the PCM has completely modernised the interior :grin:

Roro said:
Removing the PCM and putting in that cubby shelf is one of the best mods I've done to my car. I guess you're either a stereo-while-you-drive person or you're not. I never used the stereo in my GT3 (or if I did it was so rarely that I can barely remember ever using it), the only thing I ever used was the satnav which was just left on maps. But then even that became pointless over the years as I was always using my mobile for directions. I've found that since removing it I'm able to focus more on interacting with the car, and without distractions from the ICE I'm left purely in my own thoughts - my GT3 is where I go to escape the rest of the world. I've done a fair few long trips and haven't found lack of stereo a problem, but not everyone is the same and it's obviously personal preference like any mod. If I'm going away with the missus we'll chuck the Bose soundlink in the back if we feel like it

The thing I've never got my head around as well is how having the shelf in place of the PCM has completely modernised the interior :grin:

Roro, 100% agree with your thoughts.. loving this mod myself.
Blanking out any unwanted distractions is always a good thing; gives you time to concentrate on the important things without the fluff.

PS - on the flip though I love my daily Rangie disco bus! :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back