Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Why do people still persist with manual cars?

I have an old style torque converter 5 speed auto in my SL55 AMG and it suits the nature of the car really well. Happy with manual gearbox in my Porsche though. PDK feels a bit too clinical for my tastes.

MC

I would get a PDK (not tip) for a daily porker but not for a special weekend and track car

I just love the connection and control you have with a manual car. and no option in a 997 GT3 either.

what is generally missed in that it's not just about changing gear, it's the issue of managing a clutch which often a major factor in the move towards more 'automatic' cars

PDK is excellent, as is DSG, to be fair the BMW 8 speed auto box is in another league altogether and trumps the lot

I do think a lot are missing the point. Involvement is the key word, and its an important one, even the boring commute to work can be fun if you are a true petrolhead.

I have just bought a Clio RS 200 Cup for the commute and its a riot, proper fun.

Its nice to know we still can enjoy a manual car, but for how much longer though, who knows.

You are not in full command with an auto, any auto and It cannot be quantified in words, its about feel, being in control, you, attachment, and most of all driving pleasure.

Its similar to any tech these days, its all there just to do it for us !!

In answer to the OP title: It's pretty simple really - I like my manual.

Not because I think it's better than a PDK (or Tip for that matter) but because it's what I want to have in my 911. Nothing technical about it I'm afraid - the manual gearbox just works for me. :dont know: :thumbs:

T8 said:
NB: I'm not attempting to reignite any Manual v Tiptronic/PDK debate so I'm not referring to sporty type cars I'm querying why so many 'ordinary' car drivers choose to buy a three pedal car.

T8 said:
T8 said:
NB: I'm not attempting to reignite any Manual v Tiptronic/PDK debate so I'm not referring to sporty type cars I'm querying why so many 'ordinary' car drivers choose to buy a three pedal car.

Great example post, lazy, numb and rather than re-write and adjust you have used Tech to do it for you :) :) :)

Having had both a tip and manual 911 all I can say is the tip was very easy to drive and when driven on the paddles more control and quite a lot of fun, The manual is more connected and involved but is a pain in heavy traffic but does give you a really good feel when driveing properly
I really cant say I prefer one to the other they are just different the important bit for me is what the gearbox is connected to. A 911 :) :) :) :thumb:

T8 said:
T8 said:

I query that as well Terry, especially mid-sized, normal cars that are bought primarily for function, they have such excellent auto boxes too, double clutch or torque converter. Our V40 T5 has an 8 speed auto, suits the engine perfectly, seamless gear changes and gives the car an air of sophistication.

In a small nippy car, with a small revvy engine, closer call, wouldn't want an auto box keeping the revs up really, prefer to do that myself and enjoy it, daughters fiat 500 is manual and it suits cars like that for me.

With sports cars, I wouldn't generalise. PDK on my C4S cab was right for that car, back to manual now on the GT3, superb (just as well). With choice, I'd decide depending on the car, the use, etc., rather than have a fixed view.

FRZ 911 said:
In answer to the OP title: It's pretty simple really - I like my manual.

Not because I think it's better than a PDK (or Tip for that matter) but because it's what I want to have in my 911. Nothing technical about it I'm afraid - the manual gearbox just works for me. :dont know: :thumbs:

This, I just like a manual box in a car even the daily driver but then I don't sit in lots of traffic jams everyday which might change my view for the daily driver.

I have a Tip 968 and it's nowhere near as much fun or involving as the manual 993. I have never driven a car with PDK.

I will never buy a non manual fun/weekend car again. Unless I end up struggling to drive a manual.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back