Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic Owners - Drive or Full Auto

When pulling away do you manually select 1st gear or leave in auto and pull away in 2nd gear as Pors

• Engage 1st gear manually

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave in full auto and by default pull away in 2nd gear

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Steve997

Spa-Francorchamps
A general questiom for all tiptronic owners.

As people know there is a theory that when driving in full auto the car pulling away from a standstill in 2nd gear might increase the risk of the dreaded bore score.

How do you drive your tiptronic specifically when pulling away?

Do you use the buttons to manually select 1st gear or drive the car in traffic as Porsche designed it and pull away in auto and not worry about?

I always drove my tip on the rockers all the time , like a lazy guys manual all the control but no heavy old clutch , if I got high on the revs it would auto shift up even in manual mode so that was good as it avoided over revs , drove it like that for 3 years with no issues to the tip box :thumb: :thumb:

Good info Phil. Cheers didn't realise it would auto shift near the limiter if in drive. Good to know :thumb:

I think if you switch off PSM or whatever it's called, then the automatic change gear function is disabled, but not tried that myself.
there was no third option for a bit of both, sometimes I manually pull off in 1st, sometimes I just leave it pull off in second if I forget, sometimes I just prod the accelerator a bit harder so it changes to 1st momentarily, depends on the incline of where I am pulling from as well I guess...

In a 996 with the later Mercedes gearbox it will always shift up automatically even in all out manual mode with Psm off. I know for certain as that is how mine is driven 99% of the time.

Steve997 said:
Good info Phil. Cheers didn't realise it would auto shift near the limiter if in drive. Good to know :thumb:

See, there's another reason to dislike tips; you can't go banging it off the limiter like us manual folk do all the time.

Nutters all of you,,,,how come you still have a licence and no points !!!

On last years Germany tour the other guys were in manual 3.2 Boxster S and I was in my lowly 2.5 tiptronic.

My party trick on sprints onto the autobahn was to select manual and keep my throttle buried to the floor and the box would automatically change up at absolutely "oh my god she's going to blow" max revs and I just sat there whilst they genuinely had to press their cars very hard to keep up. :grin:

They had a new found respect for 2.5 Boxsters and tiptronic boxes after that. :thumbs:

As kas suggests a tiptronic car is usually faster in a straight line than a manual. This is more apparent with turbo as a manual turbo will open the diverter valves when you change gear dumping the boost. A tiptronic holds the boost. Also allowing it to change itself means you are utilising the whole power band without risking bouncing off the limitter. A tip being only 5 speed has less changes too. 2nd gear in my turbo (tip) takes me up to 70 odd mph 3rd gear is good for 130 odd. 4th 170 ish. I've not got to the end of 5th (yet), by my calculation it will be around 220 (due to a higher rev limit than standard). A tip gear box does have more losses though.

The other thing to note on the tip is if you dont shift down as you come to a stop it will even in manual mode shift to second then one push if the rocker and your in first ready to pull away.
As Kaz750 pointed out the tip in manual car exelarate very quickly foot hard down as it reaches the limiter it auto shifts up means as pointed our your using the entire power band without over revs and a very very good point re the one less gear so its got less changes and longer gears that would explain why I also in Germany in a different group was pulling hard away from manual gen2s even though they had more BHP they were having to change 6 gears manually
may be also a bit to do with the mods and remap on mine :floor: :floor:
but I genuinly dont know why Tips get dissed all the time yes the PDK is even better and yes the tip can learn a lazy style if driven gently although a hard kickdown does reset it , I fitted a sprint booster to mine which meant it thought it was being driven more aggressivly than it actually was most of the time ,so never adapted the lazy mode and was always in alert mode. :thumb:

Steve997 said:
What's a sprint booster Phil ??

Steve the one in the link is for a BMW but they do them for Porsche

http://www.mstyle.co.uk/bmw-4-serie...MI_u3exPiG2QIVCOEbCh0trwQFEAYYASABEgIOqfD_BwE

its an electronic sensor that fits totally out of the way under the Go pedal and makes the car think the pedal is depressed more than it is and quicker than it is fooling the tip into thinking your driving more aggressivly than you really are
they have three settings off, sport, sport plus . I fitted the tiny controller in my unused ash tray so lid down you couldnt see it but flip the lid and very easy to move from sport to sport plus or if anyone else was driving turned to off.
it feels like the difference between sport on and off on a chrono car.
Highly reccomened for auto boxes to give a more aggressive feel with out the hard work of actually driving your pedal into the floor hard around town lol. and it stops the tip box learning that lazy style with lots of normal driving like we all do most of the time.
£150/175 well spent IMO if your a tip owner
:thumb:

I flick mine down to 1st manually every time (even when in Auto) and it does that automatically now. Rarely will it pull away in 2nd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back