Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tracker and dash cam

Cybot7

Trainee
Tbh this question could be any of the Porsche models but as I'm about to pick up my 996 next week I'd like to ask what are the best value tracker and dash cams for the car? Don't want to spend more than £500 on the pair.

I have previously used some cheap trackets which I bought in from China, I have done a few group buys on them. They use the GSM phone network amd track the car with GPS, you can get text alerts and remotely turn off the car. I could do with buying some more for a few of my cars which don't have them. Last time they came in at around £50 each and I wrote fitting instructiins for the 996 to go with them.

MC

:popcorn:

There are literally dozens of dash cams on the market as they appear to be cheap to mass produce.
I couldn't see the point in spending 100's on one as all I really want is a record of any incident. If you want all the bells and whistles the Blackvue are about the best and they do everything including track your vehicle.
I wanted something that was discrete and didn't hang down off the windscreen so bought one called a Vikcam off Amazon, it's about £50 with the card and the importer answered my emails quickly when I asked about extra brackets. It also links to your smart phone although the app was a PIA to download and get working but I persevered and it works really well.
As they say you pays your money and takes your choice. I have to say dash cams are an absolute must have nowadays.

MisterCorn said:
I have previously used some cheap trackets which I bought in from China, I have done a few group buys on them. They use the GSM phone network amd track the car with GPS, you can get text alerts and remotely turn off the car. I could do with buying some more for a few of my cars which don't have them. Last time they came in at around £50 each and I wrote fitting instructiins for the 996 to go with them.

MC

Just being devils avocado, does potential security not worry you... if you can track your car and turn it off etc, then is there a risk someone else could, particularly with cheap Chinese ones?

Robertb said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

Just being devils avocado, does potential security not worry you... if you can track your car and turn it off etc, then is there a risk someone else could, particularly with cheap Chinese ones?

To access the car you need to know the phone number for the car, then to get it to recognise the commands for it you also need to know the password to have the commands accepted.
GPRS mode allows you to turn it on/off via a web interface, but the GPRS mode has to be turned on via the same method above, it not on by default. If the GPRS mode was on all the time it would be a bigger concern.

If you were really paranoid you could change the sim card every few months.

You don't have to fit the hardware to turn the car off either, you could just have it tracking the vehicle.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannahMich
Back