Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlamp adjuster error message

MarkC4S

Spa-Francorchamps
I have an intermittent error message relating to the headlamp adjusters. I plan to get this sorted at the next service.

However I am curious as to why there is an adjuster in the system. When I start the car and put on the dip beam, you can clearly see the dip beam appear to rise up. Why is it not kept static in the driving position? I can understand an automatic system to level the beam if the car is heavily loaded, but why have such a large range of movement every time the lights are switched on and off?

Okay I haven't RTFM on this, just being lazy and hoped somebody might enlighten me.

Is this a common problem, something lose or requiring lubrication perhaps?

If you have a headlight levelling system on your car and your car has been in for tracking adjustment or wheels on/off, the sensor can be knocked off or damaged very easily. I believe it's on the D/Side and it appears to be a quick fix as mine was damaged when I put it in to get the alignment done.
Comes up with a warning and a picture of a lamp in your dash.

The fault is often a lvl sensor .. i actually changed one today for this fault ..

When you unplug it water has got into the connections and killed the sensor .

Easy to spot .. the plug connections are green !

With a tester then you see 0 volts as opposed to about 2.5 v .

New sensor and contact cleaner on the plug connections is the usual cure .

Sensor is N/s/f on the coffin arm and n/s/r i believe .. i only did the front one today :D

As i understand it the lights adjust for bumpy roads so as to not dazzle on comeing traffic and thats why its fitted and it will go full travel when first used as a test to make sure its full operational.

Attachments

• headlight_sensor_214.jpg
    headlight_sensor_214.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,114
Thank you both for the helpful replies. In particular the full motion check on start up answers that puzzle. Great to know in advance what the OCP should be looking at. :worship: :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back