Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

Demort said:
Drain tubes should be cleared as part of a service .. Any service .

Have a quick look at the foam panel behind the battery that the x2 heater pipes go through .. it can come unstuck or worse mice love to chew it and it will cause water ingress .

The leaves cant collect there so i suspect mice .

Thanks, I'll check it out. Does it just pull out? If it is glued in place can it be inspected without unsticking it?
There were a lot if leaves all around that area, a mix of very old to recent.

MC

I undid the two torx bolts holding down the front of the underscreen plastic and lifted the front up, I was able to get a pretty decent view of the foam piece behind there and it all appears to be in good condition. It was easier to inspect visually than to take photos of it.

There is however some definite evidence that there has been a mouse in there at some point, even if it isn't there now:

There are what appears to be small black droppings which I assume are from a rodent of some kind. I will very thoroughly clean the area all around there and then go over it with some weak bleach/water solution before cleaning again. That should test out my drain tubes as well.

Whilst in there I noticed that the alarm and tilt sensor bracket was a bit scruffy and the tilt sensor connector looks like it needs a good clean, so that has been removed for cleaning up.

It appears that the tilt sensor has a lot of fluid inside it. I am not sure if this is just how they are supposed to be or if this one is damaged. There is no obvious way to open it or for water to get in, any ideas?

MC

The steering wheel which was in the car looked like it had been chewed. I had a spare one from my C2 which I swapped over to.

This shows the state of the old wheel:

The metal bracket which holds the airbag in place, along with the two captive torx bolts on the back of it which screw the airbag to the frame need to swapped over from the old wheel to the new one:

The wheel and airbag were both cleaned up using a very slightly abrasive foam pad and some warm soapy water. The wheel was then refitted, being careful to fit both earth tags and the wavy washer behind the nut. When tightening the nut don't use the steering lock to stop the wheel from turning, hold it.

Airbag reconnected and then screwed back in place from behind the wheel.

The looks a lot more blue with the flash on than it does in real life!

The old wheel will now be sent of to Jack at Royals to be retrimmed in alcantara.

MC

alex yates said:
and get a heat gun on that scuttle - will bring it up like new.......oh......and an amberectomy too looks great on any colour 996. :thumb: Both jobs don't cost 'owt apart from some silver flasher bulbs.

Gives the light units such a 'fresher' look.

16872921341_3c3275150d_z.jpg

I will get the lights out to do that at some point. Have you tried using a heat gun on the scuttle to bring it up? I bought a spare panel to play with some time ago and didn't have any success with it. It either did nothing at all or started to melt the surface. There was no middle ground. I was using a decent temperature controlled gun.

MC

Just read a boxster thread on rentech where the owner drained the fluid out the tilt sensor thinking it was water only to realise it wasn't and thus destroyed the sensor.

alex yates said:
Just read a boxster thread on rentech where the owner drained the fluid out the tilt sensor thinking it was water only to realise it wasn't and thus destroyed the sensor.

Thanks, it did look like a lot to be accidental, that confirms it. I'll leave it well alone and just clean up the contacts.

MC

Yes - here's my video doing it:

MisterCorn said:
Have you tried using a heat gun on the scuttle to bring it up? I bought a spare panel to play with some time ago and didn't have any success with it. It either did nothing at all or started to melt the surface. There was no middle ground. I was using a decent temperature controlled gun.

MC

I used the Gtechniq stuff, it came up perfectly black with about 30 seconds work. Get a cotton pad, hold over the end of the bottle, invert, wipe pad over scuttle, boom.

Only lasts a couple of months though. Heat gun is back to factory standard finish out the mould tool.

It's lasted a year and a half so far, and no sign of going grey again - but then my car is usually garaged, if it's left outside then I imagine it'd go grey faster.

I'll give it a 30 second wipe over when I next wash it, that should be good until 2020.

Personal preference ultimately, I guess.

I did it religiously that way for 3 years, then one day got sick of polishing a turd and after numerous posts on here from some well respected clued up members and on other forums I decided to try the heat gun and , err....'saw the heat' so to speak.

I was annoyed at the time as I'd sprayed my front bumper internal trim black that had faded white, only to find out I could have done that too with a heat gun.

Convert ever since!

I'll give it another go on my spare panel and report back :thumb:

MC

Patience is the key. Keep it slow. It's like magic watching it and quite theraputic. :thumb:

Foam panel looks fine .. mice chew big holes in it and over time it can lift .. its held in place by Butil ( windscreen sealent ) .. yours seems solid though .

You remove that to replace the heater matrix .

Have a quick look under the inlet manifold as well .. look for leaves or the droppings you found as thats another place they love and there they tend to chew through wires .... knock sensor being the main one.

EDIT ..

Judgeing by the corrosion on the tilt sensor pins then i think its had it .

there was a mod to fit a new system under the passenger seat as this corrosion is pretty common .

You can also remove it and code it off if not needed .

You HAVE to code it off though if removed .. it triggers the alarm in the early hours if not .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back