Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ignition coils - any preference? (996.2 3.6)

Steve997 said:
Are these an easy diy job for a home mechanic or is it awkward access and engine out job ?

Sounds like good preventative maintenance to change them before they inevitably fail.

As Alex has said, certainly a Home job and not engine out. Access is limited but certainly doable.

I'm only doing mine as all the rear bumper, exhausts and heat shields are off - so really easy! Fittings can corrode, so that would be the only stumbling block. I plan on swapping them out for Ti numbers as i am with all the exhaust fittings and hardware for ongoing ease of maintenance.

Thanks for all the input...hoping to get some ordered today/tomorrow!

My biggest fear is a cap head bolt shearing and needing drilling out with limited access.

I can't see that happening. If the cars been serviced right, they'll have been in and out a few times in their life. They unscrew really easy and I can't see them being seized up. They would be fine with just one screw holding them in.

The plugs were changed April 2015 so coil packs will have been out then and hopefully checked for cracks. I don't know as I didn't own the car then but assume they were all good and bolts free.

For what they cost I might just replace as a precaution to avoid issues when out on a drive. I believe if you 1 fail and then that particular cylinder is not firing the unburnt fuel can get carried over into the CAT and damage it which are obviously expensive.

If that's the case for 150 quid im thinking it might be good preventative maintenance as quite possible it's on the original coils as I have itemised invoices for all services and no mention of coil packs ever being replaced.

I found them really easy until I changed my engine mounts.

Now the engine sits a bit higher making it difficult to get on the top retaining bolt of the rearmost coil.

Easy enough to drop the engine a bit on the mounts though.

If a retaining bolt seizes, then access is good for a drill / grips with the exhaust manifold out the way. But that is another kettle of fish.

Sometimes the rubber tube bit of the coil pack can stick in the hole. This is very annoying. I put a bit of grease on the rubber tube so I don't get this problem.

much easier if you have sports mufflers as less heat shielding in there like OEM.

I normally jack the car up, take off the rear wheel and much easier to get in there then. I am a complete spazz with spanners and I was able to change plugs and coil packs in 30 mins each side and that includes jacking up, getting wheel on and off, remove the heat shields and copious amounts of knuting/blasphemy on the way ;-)

worth checking the coil pack covers/shields as they do rot around where the washer and nut go in.

I put new heat shields on the GT3 when I done plugs and coil packs last years.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back