Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 shifter for 996.2 GT3

I've got that one that I need to collect from my OPC, should be fitting it next week.

ditchvisitor said:
I've got that one that I need to collect from my OPC, should be fitting it next week.

Would be great to know how you get on fitting it...

Trap 125 said:
ditchvisitor said:

Would be great to know how you get on fitting it...

By all accounts it's very easy to do.

I bought the shifter today... part number 997 424 010 91 as mentioned above... circa £275. Now I'm not sure if I should just do the shifter swap or fit a set of cup cables at the same time while I'm in there... :dont know: :dont know: :dont know:

I've just fitted mine, it's night and day compared to the old one. Gone is the sloppy, lazy gear change, replaced by a shortened rifle bolt action. Well worth the money.

ditchvisitor said:
I've just fitted mine, it's night and day compared to the old one. Gone is the sloppy, lazy gear change, replaced by a shortened rifle bolt action. Well worth the money.

Good news! How did the fitting go? Is it an easy job? Have you tried it with cup cables?

Trap 125 said:
ditchvisitor said:

Good news! How did the fitting go? Is it an easy job? Have you tried it with cup cables?

Was very easy, I've had the centre console out before to fit the CD holder delete so that took no time at all, mark up the cables so you know where to put them in the new shifter, unbolt the old one, bolt the new one in, re attach the cables and replace the centre console. Very easy.
I've not tried with the Cup cables, I've decided to stick with the standard ones for now.

ditchvisitor said:
Trap 125 said:
ditchvisitor said:

Was very easy, I've had the centre console out before to fit the CD holder delete so that took no time at all, mark up the cables so you know where to put them in the new shifter, unbolt the old one, bolt the new one in, re attach the cables and replace the centre console. Very easy.
I've not tried with the Cup cables, I've decided to stick with the standard ones for now.

Well done Is there any noticeable side to side play in the gear knob when
gear is selected?

Just as a way of FYI Cup cables or any replacement cables is a bit more of a job and although straightforward, not the easiest job in the world. In a 996 (997 probably similar) it means removing the rubber bung in the centre console, cutting the wires out of the bung, replacing them with the Cup cables and re-inserting the bung into the hole - awkward and fiddly.

I re-used the sound deadening around the cables as I heard of the additional transmission of noise sound/vibration from replacement cables (just zip tied the old stuff back on). You have to re-use the bung as it is part of the original cables but does not come with Cup cables or the Numeric Racing ones I used.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=121047&highlight=numeric+racing

Pip

Yep! I followed this dead easy. The fiddly part is the console, but I was taking that out to paint anyway.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back