Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Interior door window switch panel -----------

-- 997 --

Barcelona
Hi. A quick question. To take the electric window door switch panel off do I need to take the complete door card off. Am looking to paint It!!! It's the panel where the door lever is.. just in case 😁

Cheers

J

-- 997 -- said:
Hi. A quick question. To take the electric window door switch panel off do I need to take the complete door card off. Am looking to paint It!!! It's the panel where the door lever is.. just in case 😁

Cheers

J

Phil has the detail but those door spears have tabs that are securely fixed and you have to break em to remove, you need new ones as a replacement.

-- 997 -- said:

Cheers

J

Yes, door card off they are called the spears, they are a pain and plastic welded on from behind. Its not a nice job to do !!

The finish is poor and they peel / get scratched with nails, the bonus is they are cheap at around £45 each from Porsche.

I have taken them off before and the guys are right you have to brake the weld to do it. If you do go for it I found a good way of drilling them out is to use a counter sink drill bit which releases them without loosing the plastic post behind fixed to the part you want to paint. If you can keep the post then you can use screws and washers to refix it to the door card as the posts are hollow. This worked well for me and gave a solid fix once it put it all back together, sorry no photos though.

The other way to refit them is to break the weld and leave enough post to fit the self tightening washers (see pic)
but they are cheap enough to buy a replacement and get those pained, get the cheapest ones for a boxter as they are only getting painted

Attachments

• img_1911_812.jpg
    img_1911_812.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,971
  • internal_serrated_lock_washers_din6798_in_a2_820.jpg
    internal_serrated_lock_washers_din6798_in_a2_820.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,971
Thanks for the input guys and of course the info... I think I'll tackle this within a week, whip off the door cards off the door and order some spears from Porsche.... easier I guess as said !!

The spears, look real good there Phil,a nice touch and a modern update feel!!

Cheers :thumb:

J

-- 997 -- said:
Thanks for the input guys and of course the info... I think I'll tackle this within a week, whip off the door cards off the door and order some spears from Porsche.... easier I guess as said !!

J

We really struggled to re melt the new ones as we didnt have the special tool the factory has soldering iron was ok but we did end up using the washers with the grips on so I suggest you get some in the right size , which I cant remember lol. :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
-- 997 -- said:

J

We really struggled to re melt the new ones as we didnt have the special tool the factory has soldering iron was ok but we did end up using the washers with the grips on so I suggest you get some in the right size , which I cant remember lol. :thumb: :thumb:

Phil, did you get new spears and got them painted or used the ones that was on the door cards? Also any reason why you didn't paint the electric mirror control housing (corners) passenger and driver side to match?

Cheers

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back