Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coil packs - service item, or not

its really hard tbh to know when they are going to go. cracking is a good sign they are on the way out. I always carry a spare set with me on a long journey as you never know and some tools. always have a few in the garage too.

when one goes normally the rest are set to follow

a set is £100 odd to buy so if you are doing one then you might as well do 6 especially if they are 5 or 6 years old and 40k miles in. just the way I think.

I went to Germany in the GT3 last summer and it was soaking on the way back. two coil packs failed as a result of the typhoon I went through. I got home but it was when I went to start the car again it was lumpy and I knew what was up. they were 4 years old as were the plugs so just done the lot and the cover plates were shot too so done them as well as only £25 from the opc!

go onto eurocarparts as they have 40% off at the minute and get sth like these. 6 for £120 all in. for another £20 odd you can get new plugs in.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ignition-coil

oh BTW a simple check to know which coil pack is out if you just want to do one is start the car from cold, jump out and feel the headers. they get warm quick and you can then tell as the broken one or ones will still be cold. obviously this comes with word of caution use your loaf as they get hot quick ;-) :thumb:

I wouldn't make them a service item as such but it depends on mileage.
If I was doing 10k per year then yeah I'd maybe do them every 4-5 years.

I've just changed mine simply because there's no mention of them in the history file and the car has done 75k. I always change items when there's no proof in the history, so coilpacks, waterpump, LTT, latest coolant bottle cap.

Now they're changed they won't be done again for years as I doubt I'll do more than 3k ish per year and in nice weather.

I'd base the decision on mileage really and whether the cars gets used, hence a battering, through winter.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back