Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water pump failing

:thumb:

The noise is constant, and has been getting gradually louder over the last month or so. Looking likely to be the water pump. But at 14 years old, i guess i can't complain.

Cheers all - I'll report back once i have an update from my Indy.

It may have been closer to 700, remember there's 10 litres (possibly more) of coolant to go back in too. That was including everything not just for panel BTW.

I did my water pump a couple of years back and posted some pics.
I just updated the photo links to flickr.
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1226349#1226349

It's not a difficult job but getting the exhaust off was by far the most time consuming part.

Points to note for me.
Pierberg Pump and change plugs and coils packs while the exhaust's off.
(three of my packs were split)

Cheers,

It was the water pump that was dying. Car should be ready tomorrow all being well. I've also managed to drop off the titanium exhaust bolts that i bought from PopPopBangBang on here (infact my Indy knows of these and has fitted a set to another 911 last year) :thumb:

How much is it costing if you don't mind me asking?

chriscoates81 said:
How much is it costing if you don't mind me asking?

I will find out tomorrow when i pick the car up. I'll report back.

Ok, got the car back. Total bill from my Indy a whisker over £800:

Parts: (before VAT)
Porsche water pump £203
Gasket £5
Coolant (full flush) £24
New turbo stud £3.29
2x side light bulbs £10
MOT £55

Labour (6 hours) of which: Remove rear PU, Exhaust, Engine carrier, Engine mount. Lowered engine. Renew water pump, gasket and replace snapped turbo stud. Flush coolant and refill. VAC coolant system. Rebuild as above. Road test. Re-check coolant level. Top up as required. (Some of the exhaust studs have been replaced where they decided not to co-operate when being removed)

The turbo stud was already snapped I think - I'm not certain one needs to be removed to sort the pump out - they just spotted the extra issue and sorted it.

The pump (on the Turbo) sounds like a bit of a pig to sort out, and I suspect at least 30 mins of labour were spent sorting out the snapped turbo bolt lol

Big(ish) bill, but it's warrantied for 12 months and ought to last another 16 years (pump that came off was the original unit, so it has survived a fair while)

MOT also revealed a bit of un-even wear on the front tyres, so I need to get an alignment sorted out in a month or too before I do much more driving in it. (Last aligned in June 2017 - done 6000 miles in her since then, mostly in Europe. Must have been all those mountain-pass hair pin turns) :thumb:

(Or more likely the ***** potholed roads back here in Blighty) :roll:

Andyvvc said:
Ok, got the car back. Total bill from my Indy a whisker over £800:

Parts: (before VAT)
Porsche water pump £203
Gasket £5
Coolant (full flush) £24
New turbo stud £3.29
2x side light bulbs £10
MOT £55

Labour (6 hours) of which: Remove rear PU, Exhaust, Engine carrier, Engine mount. Lowered engine. Renew water pump, gasket and replace snapped turbo stud. Flush coolant and refill. VAC coolant system. Rebuild as above. Road test. Re-check coolant level. Top up as required. (Some of the exhaust studs have been replaced where they decided not to co-operate when being removed)

The turbo stud was already snapped I think - I'm not certain one needs to be removed to sort the pump out - they just spotted the extra issue and sorted it.

The pump (on the Turbo) sounds like a bit of a pig to sort out, and I suspect at least 30 mins of labour were spent sorting out the snapped turbo bolt lol

Big(ish) bill, but it's warrantied for 12 months and ought to last another 16 years (pump that came off was the original unit, so it has survived a fair while)

MOT also revealed a bit of un-even wear on the front tyres, so I need to get an alignment sorted out in a month or too before I do much more driving in it. (Last aligned in June 2017 - done 6000 miles in her since then, mostly in Europe. Must have been all those mountain-pass hair pin turns) :thumb:

(Or more likely the ***** potholed roads back here in Blighty) :roll:

Mine seems about normal then, guess it's another part of owning a turbo. Oh well worse cars to commute in I suppose :D . Anyone else find that it's not the parts that are expensive but the amount of labour required for certain things?

Yeah i think the Indy charges £65 p/h (exc VAT) so its around 70 quid an hour.

I suspect that a brand new 996T having this work done back in 2002 would probably have only taken 3-4 hours. As things seize up and become more brittle, the job or removing and refitting parts etc becomes more challenging, hence longer hours.

Mine's not a daily Chris, but she has done over 7000 miles in the last year. I agree, bang-for-buck, there isn't much else out there that can be docile and drivable around town, and then act like a crazed banshee on a B road :grin:

Well worth the occasionally expensive garage bills IMO :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back