Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To wash or not to wash.....

No way I let anyone else touch my paintwork, scrambles my brain when I see nice cars getting done in supermarket car parks. Some of them don't even have a constant supply of water! I've seen them pouring their bucket water away after a session.... my god! I figure some people are to chop the car in on a 3 year lease and give not a single **** about the paint.

Washing the car properly in 30 mins, wow, that member must have 8 arms! Takes me 2 hours, but is time well spent, I do obsess with the process. My previous car (R32) used to take me 3 hours with black paintwork, more bodywork and fiddly wheels.

Used to leave signs in the R32 so VW wouldn't wash it in the sole job I trusted them to do... the MOT.

Proper detail takes me 12hours without a DA Polisher, or at least it did on the R. Yet to Dj the Cayman.

The return of Marty Wild said:
No way I let anyone else touch my paintwork, scrambles my brain when I see nice cars getting done in supermarket car parks. Some of them don't even have a constant supply of water! I've seen them pouring their bucket water away after a session.... my god! I figure some people are to chop the car in on a 3 year lease and give not a single **** about the paint.

Washing the car properly in 30 mins, wow, that member must have 8 arms! Takes me 2 hours, but is time well spent, I do obsess with the process. My previous car (R32) used to take me 3 hours with black paintwork, more bodywork and fiddly wheels.

Used to leave signs in the R32 do VW wouldn't wash it in the sole job I trusted them to do... the MOT.

Proper detail takes me 12hours without a DA Polisher, or at least it did on the R. Yet to Dj the Cayman.

YES very good point made make sure your OPC have it on your records NEVER to wash your car after any work as their guys are pretty much as bad as the Polish car washes.

Not sure anyone else has mentioned it but http://www.raceglaze.co.uk is a magic item. Mine get a full pro detail once a year. Maintenance is then just a two bucket wash and raceglaze rinse and leave it to dry.

Big thanks to T8 for the original recommendation.:thumb:

Oh and anyone getting them washed at the OPC....have it on very good authority that some only pay the external car wash company £2.50 per car...says it all really.

im looking into getting mine Ceramic coated at the minute,supposedly itll last about 2/3 years with a bit of care

Anyone on here had this done :?:

Millsy71 said:
im looking into getting mine Ceramic coated at the minute,supposedly itll last about 2/3 years with a bit of care

Some rate it others hate it, Porkee said it went dull after a while and he paid to get it removed from his car :dont know:

911TEL said:
Sorry ' arry But I don't agree with the jet wash first .....

Snow foam first THEN rinse off .....

No need to be sorry. It's good to share your experience. Now you mention it, it makes sense that way. It's the way I do it if I'm gonna give 2 lots of foam for when it's really dirrrrty.

The return of Marty Wild said:
Washing the car properly in 30 mins, wow, that member must have 8 arms!
Wish I did have 8 arms sometimes. :D

Had the car ceramic coated when it was new. This greatly speeds up the process, as nothing, including the stickiest tar or caked on brake dust, takes any effort to remove - they literally just slide off. Topping up with C2 just adds further protection and makes the next wash just as easy/quick. :lol:

Phil 997 said:
AVOID AT ALL TIMES the Polish hand cars washes and the likes

Is that Polish or Polish, I'm confused :?

alex yates said:
Phil 997 said:
AVOID AT ALL TIMES the Polish hand cars washes and the likes

Is that Polish or Polish, I'm confused :?

:floor: :floor: :floor: the car wash manned or even ladied by citizens of Poland or other eastern European coutries that we in typical British fashion have named all to be just Polish, in the same way as in the 70s anyone from the Indian subcontinent was just a *****. We are not and never have been very diplomatic in our terminolagy of any one from overseas. :dont know: :dont know:

Phil 997 said:
We are not and never have been very diplomatic in our terminolagy of any one from overseas. :dont know: :dont know:

I have a suspicion they may have similar terminology for us too Phil :wink:

Millsy71 said:

Yep, paid £500 for two stage machine polish, and Gtechniq c1 and exo. Well worth it as it is so quick to wash now. Still beading like crazy 18months later.

Major wash takes 45mins
Snowfoam, jet wash, apply shampoo through second foam lance, use microfibre mitt for upper bodywork, second mitt for lower body and wheels. jetwash, then douse with an open hose to dry. (Called the sheeting method of drying - google it). Dab don't wipe microfibre drying towel on boot lid and under rear lights/wing mirrors.

Minor wash is just jetwash, snowfoam, jetwash, then drive to dry it. 20mins

Do not let the main dealer wash your car either after a service etc. They are as bad as the cheap hand washes. I always tell them to leave it alone when dropping the car off & I stick a post it note on the steering wheel saying do not wash :nooo: :nooo:

A lot of the "drive in" hand car wash places manned by citizens of other countries.
:lol:
They use truck wash which removes dirt and everything else, protective waxes and sealants etc. Looks good but you have done your car no favours.
If your lazy at least use a garage pressure washer but not the brush as they are covered in grit 9 times out of 10.
Best advice is to wash it yourself using the procedures mentioned previously in this thread if you really care about your paintwork.

I wash by hand, the basic methodology as set out above (pressure washer, foam, two buckets, two mitts, microfibre, detailing spray, glass cleaner etc) as I have the ceramic coating, but even that needs to be looked after and topped up, and it really helps to have had youyr wheels sealed. In the winter, when we have weeks below zero, it can be a real challenge. :dont know:

I never use machines or low cost handwashes though. :hand:

Frenchmeister said:
They use truck wash which removes dirt and everything else, protective waxes and sealants etc. Looks good but you have done your car no favours.

This stuff is awful. They also sometimes use wheel acid on the wheels and lower body. Makes it come clean quick but any paint damage and you will get corrosion.

I do mine myself, once every 3 or 4 months..... it needs a good polish and restore now.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back