Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How to ruin a decent drive in France........

segart

.............reduce the speed limits!
I cannot believe that the French government has managed to get this legislation through, but it appears that from July 1st this year, the speed limit on those lovely deserted, silky smooth D roads is being reduced from 90kph to 80kph. How very dare they. All because they contend that it will save about 400 lives per year, which I personally highly doubt.

What is for certain is that it will raise millions of Euros, a chunk of them from unsuspecting Brits and other easily preyed on 'foreigners'. Lets try and make certain that none of us fall foul of it.

I am all for safer roads but this is just very irritating.
Rick

Did you stay within the old 90kph limit. :?:

I suspect that on the D roads (eg the brilliant D996) I've used in France it'll just mean that everyone will break the limit by an extra 10kph. :grin:

Since when did the French ever abide by an laws they set?

Since when did the French ever abide by an laws they set?

They don't, BUT.... Brits on tour beware :cop: :dont know:

Les Rosbifs sur l'autoroute s'il vous plait. Peage, peage, peage!

The worst bits are the 70 km/h ones that are around 300 metres long with a radar trap in the middle.

I've never received a ticket in France even though I've seen the camera flash numerous times. Each time I go back it's on a dfferent reg. Not sure if I went back in the same car whether I'd get pinged at the border

FZP said:
I've never received a ticket in France even though I've seen the camera flash numerous times. Each time I go back it's on a dfferent reg. Not sure if I went back in the same car whether I'd get pinged at the border

Doubt it, they're too lazy to follow up on anything. I'm still waiting to get collared for a 300 euro fine I was 'awarded' after a court case in St Tropez for being p**sed up on the beach and an amusing grapple with a camera crew and the police.......14 years ago.

I'll still never get that day/night back off my holidays after spending 16 hours in a cell :nooo:

Hilarious! But the threat these days is not from the roadside camera so much. I have been flashed at more times than prince harry staggering out of Annabelle's but have never received a fine. The risk now is being zapped by a piece of speed measuring equipment mounted on a small tripod and very hard to spot, which is monitored by some morose and humourless French coppers hiding nearby. These enforcers deal in fines which can easily run into thousands of Euros if they catch you during a spirited squirt of speed. Confiscation of the car and even imprisonment can also be threatened! That will spoil your day! I might have to trade the Carrera for a 2cv.

Thanks for the headsup - about 75% of our annual mileage is in France/Germany/Italy :thumb:

We have had a few magic moments with the gendarmes which is inevitable - one particular time was very unfair, another could have been a lot worse when i fell foul of a laser on a bridge 2 years ago

Obviously Calais - Reims is easy pickings for them and restraint/cruise is required. Waze app is useful

Still a fab country to drive in tho' IMHO compared with our rubbish traffic and potholes

:bandit:

Travel through France back n forth regular, 98% of my mileage.
Number one, is the Speed display, glad I added that and the larger display it gives. The signs cannot be relied on, readout is sat-based and changes constantly.
What is needed is a way to have speed cameras on the Sat-Nav, that would be great addition.
Despite that, caught two flashes in past six months and as yet not received any ticket. If I did,I'd take it on the chin, cannot blame anyone else, I missed it and only just.
Cest la vie. :hand:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back