Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 C2 / TARGA 4S / GTS

Ah OK, my bad :oops:

Presumably though, a (good) 996 GT3 would be considered a good option in that price bracket??

jpsh120 said:
Ah OK, my bad :oops:

Presumably though, a (good) 996 GT3 would be considered a good option in that price bracket??

No need to apologise, I was just taking the pee :grin:

But I agree with you, this man needs a 996 GT3 in his life :thumb:

OP, nice dilemma and one I had recently. I have always wanted (and still do) a 997 GTS. I was looking at the same 70k bracket.It had to be white, with the centre locks, the coloured hardbacks and low mileage.
In the end I sort of gave up, most dont have a leather dash, and have been specced with leather rather than the more desirable 'GTS Alcantara'. Then I spotted a lovely 997.2 C4S and bought that for virtually 20 k less.

In the end I couldnt justify the extra. Normally a few weeks in I regret every car I bought, but not with the 4S! I just questioned on a PDK car am i really going to notice the extra BHP? plus both are widebody, the 4S gives me as close as I can get to the GTS. So for me anyway no GTS and the yearning has gone.

For yourself? Would you love the base carerra 3.6 enough? For me thats a little close to 2/4S money?

Whatever you decide stick to your guns on the low miles, it will make a huge difference in future, no one buys these cars to sell, however you always will! So depreciation matters (alot). The GTS is rock solid, especailly a low miles one in the 'best' colour, buy low miles you can actually drive the thing!

You are in the right place, phil will spend your money be warned!!

Also be warned these cars are addictive!!

I'd also throw in try a 991 at £70k you would get a good low mileage 4S with a full glass roof! I wanted a targa but my indy put me off saying he seen leaks into the ecu.

What about a Turbo?

As all ready said, try as many as you can they are all different.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I don't think the 997 will see future hike in prices that the fairly recent bubble has caused especially not to the gains seen in the likes of the air cooled or GT cars. It's going to take a good few years (or decades), in my opinion, for a GTS to gain any real value and even then it will only be on the ones with minimal mileage and therein lies the dilemma.....

It's a dilemma I have been struggling with for my first 12 months of ownership. I bought a 2010 car last year with just 25k miles it now has 35k miles on it and the recent demand for nice C4S models has merely served as a deterrent against driving it more... I am now just accepting that the car I have is NOT an investment but it is unlikely to depreciate like all of the cars I have owned before albeit I now have higher maintenance and running costs. The man-math of 'cost of ownership' is safe at least for the time being ;)

If you are buying from a dealer or indie I expect you would probably need a 10%-15% or more hike in market prices before you could even expect to break even? More if you factor in warranty, service, Insurance etc etc...

There are certainly other opportunities (and no I don't know what they are.. I wish i did) that can be exploited for high gains in the short to mid-term but I just can't see the 997.2 being one of them....well the 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0 might be ;)

Who know's? I wish I did! :dont know: Have fun in your search whatever you decide!

I'm not buying to make money just don't want to spend say £70k on a GTS and in four or five years time with additional 20,000 miles on it find it's worth half that.

I think the C2 I was looking at possibly might depreciate more as it is less desirable model as wide body seems to be what very one wants ?

silvermilnec said:
You are in the right place, phil will spend your money be warned!!

Also be warned these cars are addictive!!

I'd also throw in try a 991 at £70k you would get a good low mileage 4S with a full glass roof! I wanted a targa but my indy put me off saying he seen leaks into the ecu.

What about a Turbo?

As all ready said, try as many as you can they are all different.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I have ruled out a Targa now due to many reports of roof issues be it creaking or leaking and also ruled out a Turbo on my budget.

I like the look of the 991 on the outside but not inside.

SGH said:
I'm not buying to make money just don't want to spend say £70k on a GTS and in four or five years time with additional 20,000 miles on it find it's worth half that.

I think the C2 I was looking at possibly might depreciate more as it is less desirable model as wide body seems to be what very one wants ?

Here's where you need the crystal ball - often the cars that traditionally depreciate the most are the ones that then end up appreciating the most, 996 turbos (my mates dad sold his Turbo S with 20k miles on it for £21k!), GT2s, 964RS all dropped like stones and then bounced completely the other way. I was flicking through my old magazines for 997 reviews only last month when I bought again, in 2012 mint low miles 996 GT2s were £45k and 993 turbos we £50k, both now three times that!

The dealer I dealt with was saying the rarity of a manual on the gen 2 might be a good thing in a few years. Also that the gen2 was (in his opinion) the last true sports car 911 as the 991 was bigger and had moved into GT territory. Again his opinion but that of a guy who is trading all the time and is putting his money on the line every day. He suggested he would sell a manual gen2 with a slight premium now. Not sure......

Bottom line in my opinion is you should probably go into it assuming you will get depreciation. Or you'll go insane! If you spent £70k on an AMG, M5, Maserati you'd definitely get depreciation. I think that because Porsche has seen a rise in prices of certain models at certain times it twists your mind when buying! My mate bought a 964 for £10k five years ago, that sold late last year for £45k, no-one wanted them, they leaked, they all required an engine re-build yet now they are more than a 993. I even bought my 968 Sport and made £10k profit in three years and that was trading it in! But I bought it when no-one really wanted one and only a couple of years before it was worth half that! So the seemingly 'rubbish' Porsches can move in odd ways!

I would drive them, the C2 is way different from a GTS, buy the car that you enjoy most, buy the car with the spec you personally want with the lowest miles you can afford. If you gain a bit you've done well if you don't then you owned an awesome car.

Have you driven any? When I looked I defo wanted a pdk wide body 4S but just didn't enjoy it, so I hopped in a manual C2 and bought that. I'd go with heart over mind first, then qualify what your heart is saying and buy one - I don't think any 997 will lose lots of money because the 991 is so different, they'll always be a market for a good gen2.....but then again the engine could decide to blow up and we're all left with cars worth £2.50! Ha!

Moral of the story:

Listen to TheCock, not your head!

:grin:

Excellent advice TC :thumb:

TheCock said:
SGH said:

Here's where you need the crystal ball - often the cars that traditionally depreciate the most are the ones that then end up appreciating the most, 996 turbos (my mates dad sold his Turbo S with 20k miles on it for £21k!), GT2s, 964RS all dropped like stones and then bounced completely the other way. I was ***** through my old magazines for 997 reviews only last month when I bought again, in 2012 mint low miles 996 GT2s were £45k and 993 turbos we £50k, both now three times that!

The dealer I dealt with was saying the rarity of a manual on the gen 2 might be a good thing in a few years. Also that the gen2 was (in his opinion) the last true sports car 911 as the 991 was bigger and had moved into GT territory. Again his opinion but that of a guy who is trading all the time and is putting his money on the line every day. He suggested he would sell a manual gen2 with a slight premium now. Not sure......

Bottom line in my opinion is you should probably go into it assuming you will get depreciation. Or you'll go insane! If you spent £70k on an AMG, M5, Maserati you'd definitely get depreciation. I think that because Porsche has seen a rise in prices of certain models at certain times it twists your mind when buying! My mate bought a 964 for £10k five years ago, that sold late last year for £45k, no-one wanted them, they leaked, they all required an engine re-build yet now they are more than a 993. I even bought my 968 Sport and made £10k profit in three years and that was trading it in! But I bought it when no-one really wanted one and only a couple of years before it was worth half that! So the seemingly 'rubbish' Porsches can move in odd ways!

I would drive them, the C2 is way different from a GTS, buy the car that you enjoy most, buy the car with the spec you personally want with the lowest miles you can afford. If you gain a bit you've done well if you don't then you owned an awesome car.

Have you driven any? When I looked I defo wanted a pdk wide body 4S but just didn't enjoy it, so I hopped in a manual C2 and bought that. I'd go with heart over mind first, then qualify what your heart is saying and buy one - I don't think any 997 will lose lots of money because the 991 is so different, they'll always be a market for a good gen2.....but then again the engine could decide to blow up and we're all left with cars worth £2.50! Ha!

Yes driven quite a few now, Targa 4 & 4S, C4S, C2, Turbo with Tiptronic, Turbo with PDK, GTS, and C2S decision is PDK top of my list as would a Turbo but out of my budget.

Would not want anything without Sport Chrono Pack either.

SGH said:

I misread the OP, apologies.

I think the 997.2 is as resistant to depreciation as it gets for modern used cars. Rumour has it that Porsche are reducing 911 productionin 2018-19 and have reduced UK allocation in order to maintain production numbers on their more profitable models while they build up their capability and capacity for future electric models. Don't know how true it is but it certainly would make sense and if that is the case the newer car used prices will stiffen which will only serve to keep 997 prices robust.

SGH said:
Yes driven quite a few now, Targa 4 & 4S, C4S, C2, Turbo with Tiptronic, Turbo with PDK, GTS, and C2S decision is PDK top of my list as would a Turbo but out of my budget.

Long shot but this may go for close to your top budget. If listed trade it would be £90K+ but ebay is a bad place to sell these types of cars and it is a bad time of year. If it could be had for £75- £80K it would be as safe an investment as any other 997 IMO.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I would be getting in contact with the owner if I were you and having a conversation.......never know your luck.

Looking on Cazana it looks like it has done approx 32K and the owner has had it for 4+ years. It is likely to be picked up by a trader but the seller may prefer to sell it to a private owner.

Obviously make a PPI part of any deal :thumb:

maph said:
SGH said:

Long shot but this may go for close to your top budget. If listed trade it would be £90K+ but ebay is a bad place to sell these types of cars and it is a bad time of year. If it could be had for £75- £80K it would be as safe an investment as any other 997 IMO.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I would be getting in contact with the owner if I were you and having a conversation.......never know your luck.

Looking on Cazana it looks like it has done approx 32K and the owner has had it for 4+ years. It is likely to be picked up by a trader but the seller may prefer to sell it to a private owner.

Obviously make a PPI part of any deal :thumb:

Thats bloody nice a Turbo S with an aerokit if you could get that within your 70K budget happy days :thumb: it doesnt mention milage in the ad maybe just an oversight or is it going to shock you :dont know:

997 Gen 2 prices have held up well for some years. I'd say just buy the one you most like. None of them are a real investment, but they haven't dropped as much as I expected over the last five years.

I quite like the GTS and the PDK Turbos, but not enough to pay current prices.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjcsr911
Back