Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 C2 / TARGA 4S / GTS

SGH

Nurburgring
This will be my first 911 and having now tested and rejected quite a few models and vehicles I have nearly narrowed my search down to these three.

My maxed out budget would be £70k.

1. 997 C2
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712302344570?make=PORSCHE&radius=1500&model=911

2. 997 TARGA 4S
http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-customer/ipl/details/details.ipl?cid=1

3. 997 GTS
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712222241072?make=PORSCHE&model=911&logcode=p

I know totally different vehicles but my question is which of the three will offer me the least depreciation long term?

Am I really getting a better vehicle for my extra £20k+ between the C2 and GTS as it seems huge jump, could it be a big fall come resale ?

GTS is already being considered a modern classic. Depending on how long you keep it will depend on depreciation. Short term you will take a dealer hit for their margin. Long term should see it hold it's value.

The GTS is a far superior 911 to the other two but all are great 911s. All three seem to be priced accordingly.

Whether you want to spend the extra £20k on your first 911 is something only you can decide.

Depreciation (beyond the dealer premium) shouldn't be much of an issue on any Gen2 997. The GTS is the safest bet for that but whether that would justify the extra £££s ....... :dont know:

It really depends on whether you want to spend £45k or £70k! The GTS will be faster and has a few more options, but that C2 looks absolutely lovely. Strong money for a C2, but the red and all the options probably explain that.

What sort of cars have you had previously? The 997 C2 is still an absolute peach to drive and is plenty fast enough!

If you can stretch to 70k without a problem then go for the GTS if your going to be stretching hard and due to that may have to part with the car early if other factors in your life change then go for a nice 3.8 gen2 for under 50k as you will sleep better and have more years of enjoyment from it.
The main thing I see happen when guys buy these cars with future value in mind is they become paranoid about the mileage and dont actually fully enjoy the car. which takes away a big piece of the ownership of a 911 when it becomes just a garage ornament .
So give a thought to that when deciding what to buy, personally I would rather have a 25k gen1 that I could drive and enjoy putting as many miles on as I wanted thats done its depreciation and 50/60k added to the miles would only knock a couple of grand off the price, than a 70k gen2 GTS that was going to sit in the garage because of depreciation. :thumb: :thumb:
probably not the answer you wanted to hear but it should be considered. :grin:

ps. Regarding depreciation on all three cars.

As well as the usual dealer premium there is also a significant 'well below average mileage' premium being applied to these particular cars.

The more the cars are driven the more that will be eroded come resale time. Also bear in mind that average mileage for a 4-15 year old 911 is only about 7k miles per annum.

Good Luck

There's clearly a 'collectors premium' with the GTS that will erode substantially with mileage. It's a great car but the premium over a regular 997 is not rationally justifiable. If you keep the mileage low then it would be the one to go for.

The link to the Targa 4S doesn't seem to work but in my experience, these things hold their value extremely well, despite being somewhat compromised in terms of weight and looks (IMO). Local OPC has one up at the moment for more than the amount they sold the same car for a year and 7,000 miles ago.

tom_nieto said:
It really depends on whether you want to spend £45k or £70k! The GTS will be faster and has a few more options, but that C2 looks absolutely lovely. Strong money for a C2, but the red and all the options probably explain that.

What sort of cars have you had previously? The 997 C2 is still an absolute peach to drive and is plenty fast enough!

Speed is not a priority where can you do it here in UK and just got my licence clean again :)

I have had Land Rovers for the last 20+ years and suffered great depreciation on last Discovery 3 and 4's owned.

I have four other vehicles so this will be a fine weather weekend toy.

Phil 997 said:
If you can stretch to 70k without a problem then go for the GTS if your going to be stretching hard and due to that may have to part with the car early if other factors in your life change then go for a nice 3.8 gen2 for under 50k as you will sleep better and have more years of enjoyment from it.
The main thing I see happen when guys buy these cars with future value in mind is they become paranoid about the mileage and dont actually fully enjoy the car. which takes away a big piece of the ownership of a 911 when it becomes just a garage ornament .
So give a thought to that when deciding what to buy, personally I would rather have a 25k gen1 that I could drive and enjoy putting as many miles on as I wanted thats done its depreciation and 50/60k added to the miles would only knock a couple of grand off the price, than a 70k gen2 GTS that was going to sit in the garage because of depreciation. :thumb: :thumb:
probably not the answer you wanted to hear but it should be considered. :grin:

:thumb:

I've just done a similar exercise with a similar budget and ended up with a 20k mile manual 2010 997 C2. I've been there with a 'collectible' 911 previously and Phil is spot on with his advice on (potentially) finding yourself worrying about depreciation and mileage and thereby creating an investment rather than a toy to enjoy. Having said all that if you want an investment then start again and pick some more exotic creatures!

The three cars you mention will drive differently so I'd get in a few - I went searching for pdk wide body cars and bought a narrow body manual! No-one on here knows for sure what will happen with depreciation or everyone would own a 964RS that they paid £20k for 10years ago, a 993Turbo they paid £40k for and a 996GT2 they bought for £45k in 2012! All worth £150k - £200k today!

My advice is to firstly drive a few and pick the one you like best, you're wise to select from your shortlist (good choices) but if it's a weekend car which mine is you mustn't be put off using it, you'll only add 3-5k miles anyway. If it doesn't depreciate you've had a result, if it does you enjoyed your car and you're normal. If you want a 'sure fire' appreciating asset then pick something more exotic, polish it, drive it to the MOT station and sit at home writing on here about how clever you are! Ha!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

TheCock said:
I've just done a similar exercise with a similar budget and ended up with a 20k mile manual 2010 997 C2. I've been there with a 'collectible' 911 previously and Phil is spot on with his advice on (potentially) finding yourself worrying about depreciation and mileage and thereby creating an investment rather than a toy to enjoy. Having said all that if you want an investment then start again and pick some more exotic creatures!

The three cars you mention will drive differently so I'd get in a few - I went searching for pdk wide body cars and bought a narrow body manual! No-one on here knows for sure what will happen with depreciation or everyone would own a 964RS that they paid £20k for 10years ago, a 993Turbo they paid £40k for and a 996GT2 they bought for £45k in 2012! All worth £150k - £200k today!

My advice is to firstly drive a few and pick the one you like best, you're wise to select from your shortlist (good choices) but if it's a weekend car which mine is you mustn't be put off using it, you'll only add 3-5k miles anyway. If it doesn't depreciate you've had a result, if it does you enjoyed your car and you're normal. If you want a 'sure fire' appreciating asset then pick something more exotic, polish it, drive it to the MOT station and sit at home writing on here about how clever you are! Ha!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Oh....and if you go down the appreciating route be prepared for the never ending pain of selling it only to find out it then continues to sky rocket in value afterwards, even though when you sold it for £20k more than you paid everyone said you were insane and no-one would pay the extortionate amount you asked. Ha! (Twitch)

HSC911 said:
I don't think that was the best example to use :sad:

:grin:

What do you know that I don't :?:

jpsh120 said:
HSC911 said:
I don't think that was the best example to use :sad:

:grin:

What do you know that I don't :?:

From memory, I think that particular GT3 has 'history". I think it was crashed and rebuilt or something along those lines. There was a thread about it on here a few weeks/months back.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back