Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Progress....

Scubadiver

Well since the inauspicious start to Cayenne ownership (breaking down on the way home), I THINK I've NEARLY sorted everything.

The MAF and MAP replacements have definitely rectified the original issue, and as it's just clocked 140k I've changed the engine oil +filter, gearbox oil + filter, front and rear diff oils and transfer box oil.

Just as I'm being lulled into a false sense of security, one (minor at the moment) issue has made itself known.
I've always had what sounds like a party going on in the dashboard, the sound of servos chattering away no doubt to do with the ventilation system. I haven't paid it too much mind as everything seems to work fine. Fine, that is, while the weather is warm. Because I bought it recently and have mainly been using air-con I haven't had cause to try the heater until the other day when it was cold enough to do so. The passenger side works fine, but the driver's side only blows out cold air regardless of setting :sad:

Reading up on this, it would seem that there's a small chance that replacing the blower resistor behind the glove box might work (it did for one person), but the rather more likely fix appears to be locating the appropriate flap/servo/cog to see what's broken.
Has anyone done this without removing the entire dash? I REALLY don't want to do that!

Hi SD

Had this exact issue on our old much beloved '03 4.5s and its most certainly one of the servo's in the blower system and I would bet that its also the one which is causing all the noise behind the dash as it tries to adjust.

Our's would blow red hot air (when selected to full heat) on the N/S always but only luke warm air on the O/S. I never did rectify it but found that by playing with the heat setting for the faulty side from full hot to full cold I could coax the servo into responding and also at that point all the noise behind the dash stopped.

A proper scan with durametric (if you have it) will confirm the faulty item.

This is very useful

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/799557-oh-no-hvac-issues.html

As Harv says .. its probably a flap motor .. some you can get at , some you cant and it can be the actual flap the motor operates if thats broken then it IS a complete strip down to repair.

PM sent with links to some files that might help .

Thanks guys, as I feared. The spring/summer was obviously a good time to sell this car! :lol:

I'll plug it in and see if any codes are showing up, there wasn't any relating to this when I was sorting out the other issues (unless I missed or disregarded it), but knowing exactly where the problem lies will certainly be a help. The chattering comes and goes so isn't necessarily easy to locate by sound alone.

Many thanks for the PM Demort, I'll have a perusal! I'll report back with the results when I have the time to tackle it. Before it gets colder hopefully! :D

So I'm now thinking I should probably deal with this issue properly :lol:

I did change the heater resistor in the hope that it would help, and predictably it didn't but I did see one chattering motor located just below it which I had a play with so can understand the problem better.
This one seems to be for fresh or recycled air and when that button is pressed it tries to operate but gets stuck and chatters away until it is 'helped'. Safe to assume that this is what is happening elsewhere.

I have bought a full set of s/h motors to refurb with the idea of resolving the issue, the motors themselves are all the same part number, it's the arms and their relative positions that are different for each location. The problem specifically is that the drivers side sometimes blows cold or sometimes hot and I don't seem to be able to get air down to the feet or up onto the windscreen for either side despite hearing a different tone in the sound of the air when the relevant buttons are pressed (SOMETHING is happening, but not the full operation required).

I can see and probably reach a number of the motors, my question is does anyone know which motor does what?
Not sure if there was anything relating to this in what you sent me Demort as I still haven't been able to access the files, keeps asking me to ask for permission? (which I have a number of times to no avail)

Sorry young man .. i was offline for xmas and missed some of your posts .

I have several files that may help but need to dig them out and get them uploaded .. if your ok then ill do it at the weekend .

I might have switched them off after a while as the links i use are open to anyone .

Cant remember if i have an email addy for you so if you could email me at

[email protected]

It will help remind me and ill see what files i can just email to you .. has to be smaller than 10mb im afraid .

some of the motors can be replaced .. some cant with the dash board in situe .

The motors and im afraid the flaps they drive can break .. again thats a dash out job to replace .. pretty big job that is :(

Nag me on friday so i can route around what i have for you .

Thanks Demort,

Yes the links you sent me on here in August were too big to email, but it's those I can't access.

I'm not going to remove the dash - just not going to happen! So I'm hoping I can figure out which motor needs attention and access it via contortion :lol:

Once the rear tyres are replaced on Friday for the correct ones to match the front, I THINK it's just this, the updating of the PCM and the parking sensor problem left to sort and dare I say it everything will be 100%... for now..... 8)

Much appreciated as always!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back