Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help Please 997 Gen 1 Turbo

Have you considered measuring voltages to see where the issue might be? Use the battery negative as the reference and measure the voltage on the chassis, starter solenoid, and starter. That would give you a lot of info on what is happening. A few DVMs would cost you no more than £30 and if it happens regularly it won't be long before you see it. If you get stuck let me know and I can lend you a data logger to log the voltages during cranking and starting.

MC

MisterCorn said:
Have you considered measuring voltages to see where the issue might be? Use the battery negative as the reference and measure the voltage on the chassis, starter solenoid, and starter. That would give you a lot of info on what is happening. A few DVMs would cost you no more than £30 and if it happens regularly it won't be long before you see it. If you get stuck let me know and I can lend you a data logger to log the voltages during cranking and starting.

MC
Thanks pal - appreciate the advice.
OPC are looking at it AGAIN tomorrow.
Will be sure to let people know how it goes.

Regarding logging the voltages, can you do this with Durametric?
It would be good to check the voltage when cranking to see if there is a significant drop at the motor.

Ive previously checked the voltage between the alternator/chassis & battery & it appeared ok. Also had the same results between the starter/chassis solenoid/chassis & they were ok. Never tried when cranking though as that would take a bit more work to set up.

I'll be checking Demorts power pin when I get a chance as a first port of call.

@ Clanky

Check what i posted on that link .. make sure the battery is disconnected before messing around there and try not to pull the positive lead all the way off .. its ok if you do but its a bit of a fiddle to get it back on .

If you do find corrosion then sanding it down wont work .. trust me .. its unusual to find corrosion there but i have seen it many times with strange starting or electrical faults .

Its something to prove / test and move on basically .

You will need an amp clamp to measure the current draw of the starter .. its not voltage you measure im afraid .. a very high current draw will be a failing starter motor .

Starter motors on these do tend to die sooner than other Porsches though .

Demort said:
@ Clanky

Check what i posted on that link .. make sure the battery is disconnected before messing around there and try not to pull the positive lead all the way off .. its ok if you do but its a bit of a fiddle to get it back on .

If you do find corrosion then sanding it down wont work .. trust me .. its unusual to find corrosion there but i have seen it many times with strange starting or electrical faults .

Its something to prove / test and move on basically .

You will need an amp clamp to measure the current draw of the starter .. its not voltage you measure im afraid .. a very high current draw will be a failing starter motor .

Starter motors on these do tend to die sooner than other Porsches though .

Thanks for the info, I can borrow a clamp meter from my work..

Looking through the other post, does the distribution box on the inside bolt directly on to the back of the pin through the bulkhead?

Also regarding the pin, how does it pass through the bulkhead?
I assume the O ring is simply a seal & wondered if the 2 x 13mm nuts hold some sort of insulator in place.

any more info would be great thanks.

The two main pictures are below , the pin goes into the power dist box and is held in place by that 13mm nut , it protrudes out of the box and through a hole in the bulkhead .

The entire box is held in place by those x2 13mm bolts which bolt to the bulkhead.

There is approx a 4 cm hole that the pin and a small amount of the power dist box go through .

The battery lead is pushed onto this pin and then the red tab is moved up a couple of mm to lock it in place.

All you need to do is move the positive lead back a bit to see the pole .. if its shinny and chrome then its fine .

Right mouse click on the image and select view .. its bigger then .

Attachments

• ve_lead_pin_211_176.jpg
    ve_lead_pin_211_176.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 660
  • pin_removal_183_692.jpg
    pin_removal_183_692.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 660
Ok, that makes more sense now cheers 👍

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members