Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Using LHD CARS in the UK

FZP

Seeing the 997.2 GT3 in Riviera Blue at the top of the 911uk.com website is driving me mad. Such a stunning car, and when I think I've put to bed the GT3 itch, that pops his head up.
A quick search of Europe shows GT3 997.2 being not too bad price wise, which begs the question. What's it like to own a LHD car in tbe uk. It eill be used occasionally so just curious to hear peoples thoughts on the reality of running a left hooker

My other "toy" is a LHD 240z which I have an absolute blast driving around.

I honestly can't enjoy it to its full potential though, as most situations require you to really be sat on the 'correct' side to see overtaking, past traffic, etc.

On a track, it makes 0 difference, however.

Jay. said:
On a track, it makes 0 difference, however.

Logically that should be right. However I found that at 10/10 in a lhd the muscle memory was not quite the same and I kept worrying about miss shifting down the box.

I've got a LHD Ferrari 355 and once you've got used to it, i.e. shifting with your right hand, it becomes 2nd nature.

Admittedly I wouldn't want to be driving a LHD car as a daily but it's not so it's fine.

I wouldn't be put off by it at all

I have owned Integrale's and now my 914 and I don't give a second thought to it being a lhd and in many cases the purer driving experience is in LHD as most are designed that way and then adapted to RHD.

It wouldn't be much different to driving an RHD car on the continent. Car park entry barriers and overtaking on A roads are the problems, but that is pretty much it I'd say.

it's not too hard to adapt to it

you get more space for the clutch pedal, operating the centre console controls is easier

parking barriers are a pain to get across to and you will occasionally get in from the wrong side

:thumb:

I've kerbed my wheels on my Jaguar for not judging the width of the car correctly. I think I would have avoided that if it were RHD. As others have said above, if it's a daily, there'll be issues. If not, then why not?

If you can hassle yourself with getting something outside the EU, here's a low mileage 997.2 GT3 LHD for just over £70k:

http://www.saudisale.com/SS_e_car.aspx?carid=89383

~ Maxie :thumb:

Maxie said:
I've kerbed my wheels on my Jaguar for not judging the width of the car correctly. I think I would have avoided that if it were RHD. As others have said above, if it's a daily, there'll be issues. If not, then why not?

If you can hassle yourself with getting something outside the EU, here's a low mileage 997.2 GT3 LHD for just over £70k:

http://www.saudisale.com/SS_e_car.aspx?carid=89383

~ Maxie :thumb:
That's cheap. I wonder what the on the road cost for that car would be?

Having done a few trips to the continent my only issues were the barrier issue and A road overtaking, as stated. Knowing that I was heading back to the UK made it a non issue. Having it full time here had me questioning it.

Marie. What is the paint quality like on ME cars after a few years?

FZP said:
That's cheap. I wonder what the on the road cost for that car would be?

Having done a few trips to the continent my only issues were the barrier issue and A road overtaking, as stated. Knowing that I was heading back to the UK made it a non issue. Having it full time here had me questioning it.

Marie. What is the paint quality like on ME cars after a few years?
You'll have to factor in VAT and import charges. Speak to JZM (Hertfordshire) as they have imported a few cars in from the same region if my understanding is correct. Gulf spec includes standard fitment of a fire extinguisher and a space saver spare in the frunk (though I don't know if the space saver is the same Centre-Lock design as the main wheels).

Paint Quality - whilst in KSA, I was waxing mine every week to protect from the sun. So I had no complaints at all and the paintwork is still looking good after 1 year back in Europe.

~ Maxie

I have been driving my lhd 3.2 for over 10 years now. Simply not an issue.

The only issue to be aware of is the need to have the correct headlamps (switching the 'T' bar for the touring setting is MOT compliant but contradicts the construction and use regulations of VOSA if left on more than 12 months) and fog lights correctly wired.

My advice is to select our car on merit, lhd or rhd.

Good luck,

CheeRS, Keith.

-I think a few hours of driving LHD will remove the 'strange' feeling. And you could argue it makes you a more alert driver in the UK as you need to be more observant in day to day situations.

As others have said, all 911's are designed in LHD. There are compromises in the RHD equivalents, (although far less in the last 20 years)

Looking back, I had a 13 year period ('95-'08 ) where I only drove LHD; Golf Rallye, Audi RS2 as daily's and a couple of early 911's ..in the UK. Including daily commute and car park barriers 4 times a day.. didn't think twice about it, mastered the 'leaning over the car' position.. (I may have been slightly more athletic then though..!). 🤔

I have driven a LHD 911 for the last 14 years and find it completely natural. It did take a while to adjust to it, and like someone has said, when you start to push on would be when things get a little more difficult to adjust but now its total fine.
Never found it any trouble to overtake cars.

Maxie said:
Gulf spec includes standard fitment of a fire extinguisher and a space saver spare in the frunk (though I don't know if the space saver is the same Centre-Lock design as the main wheels).

The space saver is of course a centre lock (there isn't any other way to put it on the car), though to be honest I've only ever seen them in the parts catalogue and didn't have a clue where they were actually part of spec. It is of course the most useless accessory out there (even allowing for the hilarious price of them). Porsche do make a telescopic breaker bar for getting the wheels off (also for daft money) which presumably is also within the kit, however I recall that people in America bought them when the car was new and discovered that after the torque specs on the wheels were increased by Porsche, the bar bent when used and would no longer collapse. Plus of course - you wouldn't want to use a tool kit jack when leaning 600Nm of torque on to the wheel so unless you always carry a trolley jack in the car : you just wouldn't... :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back