Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 turbo, cat b, car

tyinsky said:
NIBrown, I meant C4 - typo :thumbs:

That turbo is tempting at just £60k. German TUV is apparently much tougher than a UK MOT, and if it has passed through a Porsche 111 point check without any red flags it can't be that bad a car.

was a perfect car, shut lines were right, for the ages of the car, wear and tear was about right too.

Porsche Germany said a few small problems, but nothing major.

brakes.

I was not looking to bring it back as top example, which is not.
was looking at a very low priced car.

911tom said:
taffybloke said:
I thought a catB car could only be used for parts and not be used on the road. Or are you intending to use it only as a track car?

Mike.

Correct no Insurance company in the uk will provide cover. Probably the reason it has ended up abroad.

And how would one suggest they would know before insuring it?

arry said:
911tom said:
taffybloke said:
I thought a catB car could only be used for parts and not be used on the road. Or are you intending to use it only as a track car?

Mike.

Correct no Insurance company in the uk will provide cover. Probably the reason it has ended up abroad.

And how would one suggest they would know before insuring it?

Because you would declare it to them. Otherwise you may as well just not bother getting Insurance, come claim time they will check. You are correct though I doubt they will do any checks themselves before taking your money.

Got a copy of your statement of fact in front of you or handy? Does it contain a clear fair and not misleading statement to that effect?

Mine doesn't; indeed I can't remember a tike of ever having been asked.

Surely the best way for the OP to check is phone his/her insurer and put it to them?

C.

I think what Arry is suggesting is to not mention the cat b status and assuming there is nothing in the policy wording that indicates that it should be advised just argue it out come any claim. I would not feel comfortable with this.

My car is a Cat D. The only thing they are interested in is how it would effect the value come pay out... Cat D is an economical write off though, nothing to do with the structural integrity of the car. Everywhere I read says that a Cat B should never be put back on the road!

911tom said:
. Everywhere I read says that a Cat B should never be put back on the road!

But there isn't any legal reason it shouldn't be. There is literally no legislation whatsoever for that. The change that's just been effected has tightened up the DVLA monkeys view of the world in what they will and won't issue a log book for, but underneath it there is no legal standing. DVLA have a history of making their own pieces of legislation. I'm not suggesting you fight that all the way to the top courts unless you have the cash, of course.

My point is unless they ask or unless you tell them, then ostensibly the car is as good as any other. Why anyone would volunteer more information than required to an insurer is an oddity to me. The duty of fair representation under a consumer contract is the insurer asks the questions and the consumer answers them truthfully. If there's no question then it's deemed to be immaterial as otherwise the insurer would have asked it; essentially they waive their right to that information. Therefore although no insurer would set out to insure a CAT B, near all of them sleepwalk into doing so.

So, there's no grounds for avoiding the policy which leaves you with a pure value dispute in claim circumstances. I'm not suggesting the OP should get the car bought by any means but if it were to happen then he's got a 993 in perfectly good condition that's just come out of a 'thorough' check by Porsche with a clean bill of health. As to value, it would be difficult for the insurer to argue it wasn't worth something; agreeing a value would probably go to arbitration because there aren't going to be many cars of similar nature and history out there.

It would be interesting to see what DVLA would do if it were to be considered for UK registration again, mind you. Since the accident pre-dates their latest bit of law-unto-themselves rule scribbling I'd expect they'd say it can't be registered. Now that would be a fun battle to have (with somebody else's money).

surely when coming to insure the car. it will be on the dvla and some sort of Insurance database.

never the less, i've had a call from the seller, to say he has dropped the price further....

60,000 euro now. bloody hell it is tempting.

:eek:

:eek:

That's circa £53,500 at current exchange rates.

It must be worth that in parts alone?

C.

singh13 said:
surely when coming to insure the car. it will be on the dvla and some sort of Insurance database.

Most of the broker schemes operated by Porsche club affiliated members don't have access to that database as a matter of course and. One cynically assumes, don't feel the need to pay out to access it for every quotation and renewal - why would they?

The incumbent insurer might spot check on claim submitted but I doubt they're running several thousand HPI checks at a direct cost to expenses base for the sake of the odd car. Much better to play on naivety later down the line and argue the toss about value where they'd perceive themselves to be in a position of strength.

Ultimately the entity that knows your car is a write off before you is the person that's apparently reliant on that information in order to underwrite; if you believe they have access to that information prior to binding of contract then even more reason they'd never be able to claim non disclosure.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back