Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Key fob not working

misterw

Evening all

Looking for some advice on a remote (2 button) key fob no longer working

Red light wouldn't come on when pressing the button so I have replaced the battery but the light is still not working

So...what are my next options here...?

- Try a fob repairer (in case it needs a solder repair or a wire has got disconnected somewhere) If so, can someone recommend one?

- Buy a new fob (can this be done outside OPC to avoid the inevitable Porsche tax) and I can then ask my local indy to reprogramme the new fob

Advice welcome

Thanks

probably cheaper to buy a used ecu with a set of keys off eBay.

Personally I'd have a go at fixing it myself if it's just a dry joint in the key.

Have a look at the fob circuit board .. the switches can break on the solder contacts .

A new fob can be ordered through an indy and coded but its still expensive as the main cost is the fob .

Both of mine failed last summer, so I just bit the bullet and ordered new circuit boards from OPC, they coded them to the car, and put them in the old keys. Not cheap, but I'm a bit of a fix once, fix properly guy, so happy with what I did. I didn't want to faff around posting the keys all over the place, and Silverstone OPC is only round the corner.

I had my keys fail in fairly short order, about 6 weeks apart. So I went from having 2 perfectly good keys to zero.

After mulling over the options and associated costs I decided to bite the bullet and have 2 new keys supplied and coded at my local OPC.

Pretty much a 'sit and have a coffee while the job gets done' timescale. Only issue I had initially was that the OPC refused to fit the new keys innards to the key tops that I had purchased from another OPC previously as they reckoned that they were not genuine Porsche items.

To be fair to the Centre when I next returned and showed them the print out and catalogue that were supplied with the key tops, a profuse and embarrassed apology was very forthcoming and my print outs were copied and shared with the service and parts staff for future reference.

To my utter astonishment within a couple of months both new fobs had failed and the car had to be returned to the OPC for a new pair and reprogramming.
It turns out that there was a faulty batch so even going down the OPC route can be troublesome :eh!:

996 Simon said:
Im sure I read another thread that someone had a key fob repaired by

https://www.remotekeyrepairs.com/product-category/porsche/porsche-key-repair-service/

Got to worth a shot for £47.

I had my keys looked at by my local indy just before xmas. 1 was pronounced dead and the other was re-coded but died a fortnight later.

I am going to get both refurbed by the above, so thanks for the link. Porsche want £150 per key and that is board only. With the above I get a nice new key fob.

Not that convinced it will work as my car seems to go into sleep mode very quickly even though the battery is perfect. We will see.

INWB said:
996 Simon said:

https://www.remotekeyrepairs.com/product-category/porsche/porsche-key-repair-service/

I had my keys looked at by my local indy just before xmas. 1 was pronounced dead and the other was re-coded but died a fortnight later.

I am going to get both refurbed by the above, so thanks for the link. Porsche want £150 per key and that is board only. With the above I get a nice new key fob.

Not that convinced it will work as my car seems to go into sleep mode very quickly even though the battery is perfect. We will see.

129 squids from local OPC for a new Keyfob for me ... and have had to have it replaced twice since under Warranty as failed again. Kids keep asking if keys have stopped working as they find the hour or so at the OPC whilst new key is being coded quite a hoot!

Chigster said:
INWB said:
996 Simon said:

129 squids from local OPC for a new Keyfob for me ... and have had to have it replaced twice since under Warranty as failed again. Kids keep asking if keys have stopped working as they find the hour or so at the OPC whilst new key is being coded quite a hoot!

same experience, but I had both keys replaced.... both key have been replaced twice under the same warranty!
- the second time, only one had failed, but they replaced both (again!), because apparently it showed an issue when they tested it....

PITA, but at least I've still only had to pay once

...doesnt inspire much confidence in the part quality though : '

Out of interest will a key with broken buttons still disable the alarm if used manually to unlock the doors and used to switch the ignition on? (I will try when I get the car to an isolated spot)

Just tried it - it does work. Unlock door and switch on ignition (within 10 secs according to the manual)

Just an update on this.

Very prompt service by Remote Key Repair.

New front and when back I cleaned up the rather vile blade. Back is original.

One works out the box and the old second key will need GCR to reprogram when I next get it on the ramps next week.

So can I recommend? For less than £100 for both keys, it seems a bit of a bargain.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back