Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steve Wright's Serious Moddin' - HVAC relocation

Good work

My hvac controller has been in the bottom position for the seven years I've owned the car and it's not bothered me one bit, maybe it will now I've read this!?

:roll:

:grin:

Ooops.....sorry. I've already received flack off someone on facebook for calling the lower position stupid :oops:

Nice one Alex, look forward to seeing the finished install ;)

alex yates said:
I have the embedded screen aerial. The dab one just sits in the dash does it not? :dont know:

http://xtrons.co.uk/usbdab01-usb-2-0-digital-dab.html

Not paying £50 for a dab aerial though :nooo:

Thats not just a DAB aerial - it is a DAB tuner and aerial. There is no DAB tuner in the headunit you got - this is an add on to add DAB.

I'd say DAB is well worth it for £50, loads of extra stations and the radio doesn't drop out on the M6 at Tebay like analogue radios.

Make sure you get DAB+

Pass. I'm not that fushed as I never listen the radio. So how does the dab thing work, do you have to install an app or something?

OK, I'll take up the challenge. DAB is digital radio, it operates quite differently from conventional radio and on different radio frequencies so it requires a different aerial.

The advantages are:
1. A much wider choice of stations
2. Lack of background noise (think CD rather than cassette/LP)
3. You don't need to re-tune as you move across the country

The disadvantages are:
1. When the signal is poor, you get nothing rather than a distorted signal
2. There is less signal coverage across the UK than conventional radio
3. You are more likely to lose the signal between high buildings, in tunnels etc.

For home use, the sound is also not as good as it ought to be because compromises were made when the spec was agreed, Internet radio can be better.

Alex said:
Pass. I'm not that fushed as I never listen the radio. So how does the dab thing work, do you have to install an app or something?

Listening to DAB versus normal radio is like chalk and cheese. Many more stations like Absolute 60'2 70's '80's etc. Quality is excellent.

But if you don't listen to the radio anyway a bit pointless.

Cheers
Spart

Gret guide! I did this with a Dremel and is very satisfied with the result. Will post som pics soon :)

Also added USB charging cable through the cubby :)

Attachments

• ac_disposition_227.jpg
    ac_disposition_227.jpg
    813.5 KB · Views: 1,294
:thumbs: Nice one. It's deffo worth doing compared to sticking it in the bottom slot. That'd drive me insane.

Epic stuff, Alex... great to read up on these historical technical projects.
I particularly like the ones which come up with a better outcome than the factory item. :thumbs:

Modded mine a few years back👍

Attachments

• bc2177c5_20b8_45db_87bc_957b831dc394_291.jpeg
    bc2177c5_20b8_45db_87bc_957b831dc394_291.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 670

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdj
Back